Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jose Riga's son: "He was in love with this club, believe me"

This was on the CAFC facebook page, underneath the news of Peeters being confirmed:
Greg Riga My dad didn't decide to quit cafc! He really wanted to stay, he was in love this club believe me! This Mr Duchatelet is just ××××.
Interestingly, he too works at AC Milan. (Area tecnico methodologica)

Comments

• Options
    Don't want to write off Bob Peeters yet (not fair as he hasn't had a chance to prove himself) but Greg Riga's comment only goes to confirm the good feelings I had about JR at the end of the season, and how gutted I am that RD didn't hire him. JR understood the squad and was getting a team picked which was the right mix. Wasn't perfect, but the best he could achieve.
    Reckon he had the potential to give us a good shot at doing well in the Championship this coming season.

Lets see what gives with BP. I think he needs a lot of good luck to sort something decent from the transfer and loan windows.

JUST DON'T LOSE US POYET FFS!!!!
  • Options
    Sad to see him go - his passion on the touchline certainly softened the blow
  • Options
    Sometimes I hate social media
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Sometimes I hate social media

I agree. Charlton Life seems almost normal compared to the basket cases claiming to be fans on Facebook.
  • Options
    But are either of you suggesting that
    - Jose Riga's son is a basket case, or
    - the post is fake?
  • Options
    Apparent ly the post is not a fake. However, RD only employed Riga on a short term contract and despite the adrenalin rush of avoiding relegation he continued with his plans of bringing in someone other than Riga, presumably Bob. You must have come across some pretty successful business men who have little human skills and continue on their chosen plan to spite the evidence that an alternative is better.
  • Options
    It's absolutely genuine . He posted on Facebook when Jose took over . Seems a really nice bloke like his dad.

What about his girlfriend though . Ssshwwiiiiing

• Sponsored links:

• Options
  • Options
    Has anyone just thought that the last time Roland had Riga on a contract he just left him at liege and went to Qatar to go and coach. So he didn't want to risk losing someone again who was never in a job very long , i really liked Riga but maybe Roland see's Peeters as a long term manager ( head coach ).
  • Options
    Too short.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Yann897 said:

Has anyone just thought that the last time Roland had Riga on a contract he just left him at liege and went to Qatar to go and coach. So he didn't want to risk losing someone again who was never in a job very long , i really liked Riga but maybe Roland see's Peeters as a long term manager ( head coach ).

Or have you thought about why Riga left Liege after one season under Duchatelet with a year left on his contract for a short term 9 month contract at the Aspire Youth Academy in Qatar?

As for being "someone...who was never in a job very long" - just before joining Liege on July 1st 2011 he had been at his previous club RCS Visé from July 1st 2008 to June 30th 2011.....

Additionally, the evidence of his 3 years in control at Liege and his 5 months with us is that Duchatelet doesn't do long term coach/managers...
  • Options
    Riga left SL of his own volition, not waiting for RD to sack him - so perhaps not giving Riga the Charlton job is Roly's rather puerile attempt at getting his own back?
  • Options
    Yann897 said:

This is something I've been thinking as well...

Partly could also be down to the fact that RD prefers giving young managers a shot i.e. Guy Luzon at Liege is only 38-years old whilst Bob Peeters is of course 40-years old... In Riga he saw someone who was experienced and who could get us out of the Relegation problem (and was correct in his decision) but ultimately might prefer youth as they could have new ideas about the Sport etc...

And I know Chris Powell is 44 so also young in that sense but again I believe that RD just wants a fellow countryman to deal with... (this isnt racist or me discriminating but if I owned a Football club I'd ideally want an English Manager to ensure there wasnt a language barrier and things couldnt be miss-translated)
  • Options
    This thread makes me quite sad. I will support Peeters and whoever ends up playing for us as much as I can, but Riga built up a real affinity with the club in a very short space of time. He had a difficult job, following a club legend, and not much time to do it. To get the players, staff and fans pulling together to retain our Championship status is remarkable and I think he really deserved a shot at the job long term. Let's hope we will find out why Peeters was preferred!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yann897 said:

This is something I've been thinking as well...

Partly could also be down to the fact that RD prefers giving young managers a shot i.e. Guy Luzon at Liege is only 38-years old whilst Bob Peeters is of course 40-years old... In Riga he saw someone who was experienced and who could get us out of the Relegation problem (and was correct in his decision) but ultimately might prefer youth as they could have new ideas about the Sport etc...

And I know Chris Powell is 44 so also young in that sense but again I believe that RD just wants a fellow countryman to deal with... (this isnt racist or me discriminating but if I owned a Football club I'd ideally want an English Manager to ensure there wasnt a language barrier and things couldnt be miss-translated)
    Let's hope Bob can speak French or Roland can speak Flem^^
  • Options
    Roland can speak Flemish (Dutch), as well as French, English and Spanish.
  • Options
    Although many of us would have liked to see Jose Riga appointed on a longer term basis, the way that he left, on a high having kept us up means that it never had the time to go a little sour. Both we and Jose himself will always have fond memories of his time here, untainted by the brickbats that inevitably come with hard times. I will always remember that very noisy JOSE RIGA BABY singing when we clinched survival at the Valley - one of those priceless Charlton memories.
  • Options
    Whilst I was impressed by Jose and hoped he would stay, whilst I loved it when he declared his affection for our great club, it's from his son, hardly objective and adds little to the debate.

It's an interesting, admirable display of loyalty and one I would expect from my son but no more than that, he was hardly likely to say "tough luck Dad, you did well but Bob Peeters is the man for the job"