Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Delay for a deal cost Hamer stay

Today's SLP. Hamer wanted to sign a new contract in December, but it was pushed to one side. An offer (2 year deal) was put to him after the Blackpool game but by then he had already talked to other clubs.

Comments

• Many of us suggested that on here but were pretty much laughed at.
  • bobmunro said:

Bullshit - nothing of course to do with Leicester offering him more money to get splinters on his arse.

But if the deal was done in December he would not have spoken with Leicester.

If you was Ben and was not offered anything by May would you not be inclined to look elsewhere?
  • He could have still stayed then. He will be lucky to make the bench at Leicester.
  • Don't blame anyone for pushing aside contracts, even if you're under contract your not safe under our current regime. Staff all the way through to players are being 'used' and will not be feeling safe at the club, they need security for themselves and their families. Can't imagine they feel it right now.
  • Also bearing in Mind what Dyer has come out in the press with I would think Ben might be a little bit pissed off that he was not really wanted.
  • edited May 2014

bobmunro said:

Bullshit - nothing of course to do with Leicester offering him more money to get splinters on his arse.

Back in December Leicester wouldnt have been able to offer him a contract. So if we got him to sign it then, then he would still be with us.

He probably was offered more money by Leicester, but back in December he would have had CAFC offer only and probably would have signed it.
    And if that had been the case Leicester could still have come knocking and he would still have gone. Granted we would have got a fee for him but please don't believe that he would have 'honoured' a contract if the right offer came in.
  • shirty5 said:

Today's SLP. Hamer wanted to sign a new contract in December, but it was pushed to one side. An offer (2 year deal) was put to him after the Blackpool game but by then he had already talked to other clubs.

It's more like he was offered a contract in December but he wanted to keep his options open. Then bingo, along come Leicester with a fist full of dollars. Can't blame him for that. Good luck to him...
  • Sponsored links:

• I dont buy it, If he wanted to stay he'd have signed like kerm did regards Celtic a couple seasons back when he turned down better money
  • Wasn’t Hamer second choice behind Alnwick in December ? If so I doubt it would have been much of a priority to re-sign a rather expensive second choice goalkeeper when we didn’t know which division we were going to be playing in. Subsequently we all know what happened with Alnwick and Hamer then came into fantastic form – perhaps prompted by needing to earn a deal here or elsewhere – but I don’t think there are many Charlton supporters who would have said re-signing Hamer was a priority back in December. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
  • Just because "he had already talked to other clubs" why does that mean he couldn't sign the deal we put to him ?

I don't blame him but it was money and the lure of the premiership nothing more.
  • the club has done nothing wrong ? we wanted to know what league we was in and waited ..
  • or he knew Pope was going to be the number one and rather than get splinters in his arse at CAFC signed for Leicester for MORE money to get splinters and an outside chance of playing in the Prem----what would you do ?
  • As I have always said we are better off without him. This latest information merely confirms it for me.
  • So you can blame the last owners of Charlton for that then not rd. I won't miss him Ashe was to cocky and I did not trust him when the ball goes back to him
  • Hamer himself said in a Twitter response to people giving him stick that working in a premiership environment was way too tempting to turn down.

I don't believe he would have signed any deal offered in January and you can be sure his agent would have been in his ear stroking his ego and telling him he'd get a better deal elsewhere.

Simple fact is, he has gone for the money. Don't blame him, don't blame the current owners. Happens all the time in football.
  • Apart from the increase in wages - especially at a time of general wage reductions outside the Premier League - Hamer was offered the security of a four year deal by Leicester (as opposed to two years with us). That must have been a major consideration as well, given the level of insecurity in the game. If it doesn't work out for him at Leicester, he can always drop down a division in the future.

I agree that the absence of an offer in December or January probably didn't make any difference, as Ben and his agent would have wanted to keep his options open at that relatively late stage. To suggest otherwise is, in my view, pure spin on the part of the SLP. In any event, as ValleyGary has said, how could we offer a Championship contract (absent a contingency clause, which was likely to be unattractive to the player) when we didn't know what division we'd be in next season ?

Good luck to Ben in the future. I don't see him realistically challenging Schmeichel for the jersey but hope I'm wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• Even putting aside the question of money footballers are normally by definition confident of themselves, you'd have to be to get anywhere near Championship level. I highly doubt any footballer in Ben's position would turn around and say "I'm not good enough for the Premier League, I'm going to turn this opportunity down and stay at Charlton".
  • Trouble is he probably asked for a Contract in December which is fair enough but at the same time it was exactly when Roland was coming in to takeover the club so may not have been the best time to ask as everyone in the background would have been busy ensuring that the takeover got over the line more than anything
  • So we have lost a goalkeeper who never came out for crosses. Sounds like a good decision.
  • I am the only one who thought Hamer was a good keeper??
  • jams said:

I am the only one who thought Hamer was a good keeper??

No!

• must have missed a lot of games jams
  • He is a good keeper and has the potential to be an excellent one. Like all keepers he had his weaknesses but they were considerably outweighed by his strengths.
  • He's gone , move on.
  • I already miss his beard. I hope our next keeper has a big beard.
  • Solid keeper but not good enough. Alnwick was better.