Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Body Image

Poor old Ed is coming in for a lot of stick at the moment for his looks. He can't be Prime Minister because he looks `geeky' is one of the more polite.
Is it right to be prejudiced against people for their looks? Is it the new `ism'?
Getting a job is hard enough for youngsters but should looks, size etc be taken into account for a job?

Comments

• edited May 2014
    It's true, Id prefer to have the country run by a racist than a ugly person....
  • Do you think any genuine voter gives 2 shits what the mp looks like ?
  • All of the political parties have excellent candidates that won't get nominated because of the way they look. Policies not appearance should matter, but they don't. Thus we get the politicians we deserve.
  • A sign of the times I am afraid. Shallow, vacuous people who buy gossip magazines and watch TV like "Take me out" can't see beyond looks. Mind you, that said one hopes they are too stupid to find the polling booths...
  • Popular politics is and long has been a PR arms race. Integrity is a dirty word.
  • Thatcher brought in satchi and satchi . Blair learnt from this and employed his spin doctors and hatchet men.

Cameron---Milliband---Clegg all wilted lettuces

all the more weird that Boris gets away with it------what a very clever man.
  • edited May 2014
    Yulia Tymoshenko - Ukranian Prime Minister

Just saying !
  • edited May 2014
    That's magnificent autocorrect work on the part of your computer, I gotta say

Oh you bastard you edited it :D
  • Fecking auto spell.
  • Sponsored links:

• Lets bw honest, he is a crap lol worst thing labour did putting him in charge...should be david milliband.

• Getting a job is hard enough for youngsters but should looks, size etc be taken into account for a job?

My partner's son is 29. He went to Uni and got an art degree. Pretty intelligent and a really nice fella but he's gone down the road of having tattoo's (lots of tattoos) and those ear stretchers (big holes in his ear lobes). Do you think he can get a job in the creative media industry. The answers is no. Gets plenty of interviews but as soon as they see him... Appearance is everything. Currently working in a bakery.
  • edited May 2014

Getting a job is hard enough for youngsters but should looks, size etc be taken into account for a job?

My partner's son is 29. He went to Uni and got an art degree. Pretty intelligent and a really nice fella but he's gone down the road of having tattoo's (lots of tattoos) and those ear stretchers (big holes in his ear lobes). Do you think he can get a job in the creative media industry. The answers is no. Gets plenty of interviews but as soon as they see him... Appearance is everything. Currently working in a bakery.

Er, I'm sorry. He is either not good enough or not trying. To say you have to be a boring beige canvas to get a creative job is rediculous.

Ever thought the ratio of art graduates to creative media jobs may not be great ?
  • If it's all about image how the hell do you explain Eric Pickles?
  • Thatcher brought in satchi and satchi . Blair learnt from this and employed his spin doctors and hatchet men.

Cameron---Milliband---Clegg all wilted lettuces

all the more weird that Boris gets away with it------what a very clever man.

ohhhh you

It's been happening a lot longer than that i can tell you.
  • Michael Foot got massacred for wearing the wrong type of clothes to the Cenotaph.

• Getting a job is hard enough for youngsters but should looks, size etc be taken into account for a job?

Crumbs, that's a tough one. I suppose the difference is that you can't help being ugly or odd looking, but making a decision to be "a rebel" and in such a visible manner is going to affect how people see them, and in a way isn't that what they want? I have been a rock n roller all my life, had the haircut, wore the clothes so I am more tolerant than most - my barman for six years fits the description of your partner's lad perfectly - but I can kind of see why given two people of equal talents the average employer might choose the one who looks more "normal" ...
  • We are programmed to make snap judgements on first look. It's a survival thing. Once you get past that then other considerations come into play but it's a huge instinct to overcome.
  • edited May 2014
    shine166 said:

Er, I'm sorry. He is either not good enough or not trying. To say you have to be a boring beige canvas to get a creative job is rediculous.

Ever thought the ratio of art graduates to creative media jobs may not be great ?
    There is nothing more annoying during a difficult job search than being told you're not trying hard enough by people who have no idea about the industry they're talking about. Do you know the bloke? Not a helpful comment.
  • I think it's been that way for a long time. The main reason Michael Foot wasn't more successful as a politician was for his poor dress sense. Meanwhile, I'm convinced that one reason behind Blair's early success was that his looks won over the knicker vote. Mind you, judging by how quickly his appearance deteriorated, PM must be a really stressful job because he seemed to age almost as quickly as Chris Powell did as Charlton manager.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2014

shine166 said:

There is nothing more annoying during a difficult job search than being told you're not trying hard enough by people who have no idea about the industry they're talking about. Do you know the bloke? Not a helpful comment.

Nope, but I'm an art graduate trying to make a career in the art/creative world. Does that make it ok for me to have an opinion ?

I know how many people I studied with and how many went on to have creative jobs, does that make it ok to have an opinion ?

If it helps I was the least good looking in the class and I'm the only person doig what we studied for as only lastnight confirmed 6 more gigs seeing me through to winter 2015
  • ^I'm willing to bet this guy also has a fairly staggering tattoo (and may win this bet, as I've just checked his tumblr :D )
  • Leuth said:

^I'm willing to bet this guy also has a fairly staggering tattoo (and may win this bet, as I've just checked his tumblr :D )

Only recent though :), but I've had dreadlocks for 11 years which should also hold me back
  • shine166 said:

Leuth said:

^I'm willing to bet this guy also has a fairly staggering tattoo (and may win this bet, as I've just checked his tumblr :D )

Only recent though :), but I've had dreadlocks for 11 years which should also hold me back

Unless its a creative job I wouldn't want it anyway :). Wouldn't want a boss with bald man syndrome anyway
  • Politicians don't care about us. Tony Blair just feathered his own nest, he was a Tory at heart. Most the politicians would switch parties if it meant promotion or pay rise. So I say just do it in party policies, not the person leading.
  • edited May 2014
    shine166 said:

It's true, Id prefer to have the country run by a racist than a ugly person....

Haha a flag ? Get a grip will you whoever that was, unless you are an ugly racist than I feel for you
  • Poor old Ed is coming in for a lot of stick at the moment for his looks. He can't be Prime Minister because he looks `geeky' is one of the more polite.

I think this is more about Labour's strategy to win the next general election. They're not interested in convincing Tories to vote for them, so their line of attack is on the more lefty Lib Dem support. They're not looking to appeal to the middle ground - in many ways they're moving further left.

End result of that in their strategy is that they swing a few tight seats from the Tories by convincing enough of the non Con/Lab voters to vote for them instead, and all on a strategy where their national share of the vote is 35% or less. If the strategy works, they might have a small majority or be able to form a coalition government. If it doesn't, they throw away a good chance to do serious damage to a fairly unpopular government.

I think it's a very negative strategy, and not a good one for British politics, and they've been saying some really stupid stuff this recent campaign (£450 extra VAT per annum on the average shopping bill, for starters). From looking at the overall numbers from the local elections, it looks like they haven't turned many councils over, and most of the damage done to the Tories has been done by UKIP taking seats resulting in councils moving to no overall control.

It also means that what the leader actually says doesn't sound like the kind of thing you might want the Prime Minister to say. The type of rhetoric that appeals to annoyed Lib Dem voters who thing Clegg has sold them out (or appeals to Labour voters who feel the same about Blair) just doesn't sound like a Prime Minister to me. I think someone who looks like Ed Miliband could appear strong or statesmanlike by what he says, but the strategy they have chosen doesn't lend itself to that.
  • edited May 2014
    Being Prime minister isn't like any other job you are the leader of a country and the GB public, the rest of Parliament and the rest of the world need to respect you and have confidence in you. Having the right look and being able to walk right and talk right is all part of that. That's why a scrawny, geeky looking man won't get elected. Its human nature not a reflection on society.
  • Leuth said:

That's magnificent autocorrect work on the part of your computer, I gotta say

Oh you bastard you edited it :D

Rule 1 of internet point and laughing: Always screenshot or quote before commenting...