Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Prince Charles

Right or wrong

Charlie IMO has said the right thing papa Putin is taking the piss and has invaded a European country without being truely opposed

I love the fact Charlie has said it and just wish more would say it out loud

Another big tick in the Charlie box

Comments

• If I've read it right, then I don't see an issue. He hasn't said that Russia is doing everything the Nazis did, he's said that them annexing part of the Ukraine is like the Nazis annexing parts of their neighbouring countries. Which it is.

Like the fact he's annoyed the Russians too - they take advantage of uncertainly in a neighbouring country to nick a load of it's land, but get annoyed when a posh bloke from London says he thinks it's a bit out of order.
  • It may be what we are all thinking but I don't think it was right for Charles to be caught saying it. Still, can't blame him - he learnt discretion at the feet of his father no doubt. :-)
  • Saga Lout said:

It may be what we are all thinking but I don't think it was right for Charles to be caught saying it. Still, can't blame him - he learnt discretion at the feet of his father no doubt. :-)

I think Charles is far too astute "to have been caught out". It was deliberate.
  • Gotta love the Charlie
  • Classy saying it to a Jewish survivor of Nazism though.
  • I didn't vote "Charlie" or the "family" in... if they want an opinion on world politics they should step down and put themselves up for election...

We live in a democracy apparently so the royal family should button it or step down.
  • Nice one Charlie, following in the footsteps of Dad.
  • I didn't vote "Charlie" or the "family" in... if they want an opinion on world politics they should step down and put themselves up for election...

We live in a democracy apparently so the royal family should button it or step down.

This.

• Sponsored links:

• So no one but an elected official can have a view on world politics? Like, say, a journalist, or a charity aid worker?

Or celebrities, like Bono? Wait, scratch that last one.

Everyone can have a view, of course they can. However if you can't see the difference between a journalist and a state funded member of the royal family then with all due respect you are an idiot.
  • So no one but an elected official can have a view on world politics? Like, say, a journalist, or a charity aid worker?

It's an accepted protocol that the royal family do not comment on politics. Always has been or at least since Prince Albert.

• edited May 2014
    Charlie's been stitched up by someone who couldn't keep their gob shut, maybe he should have known better and not expressed an opinion, the royals can't win, when they just smile and wave they are called dull boring and a waste of tax payers money, and when they do say anything that is right and hits a note they get castigated for it, and on that note, adios and goodnight mon ami :-0

If Charlie was standing for election, rather than the usual twats we have, I might well of got off my arse this evening and walked to the polling station..............

Everyone can have a view, of course they can. However if you can't see the difference between a journalist and a state funded member of the royal family then with all due respect you are an idiot.
    I know, I was being flippant. That said, I still think he did little wrong - it wasn't a query of UK policy towards Russia for example (though there was a certain implication in it).

You don't see a problem with the idea of democracy and saying certain people should button it? Surely everyone has the right to an opinion on such matters no matter who they are. Especially seeing as the Royal family are often effectively used as politicians at times.

He can publicly say what he did because he's not restrained by being a pathetic cowardly politician that our democracy has led us too. Who are happy to ignore and not upset the regimes like China or Russia whilst happy to mouth off about and bully smaller countries.

Good on him I say. All he's done is say the truth.

I didn't vote "Charlie" or the "family" in... if they want an opinion on world politics they should step down and put themselves up for election...

Hold on. The Royal family don't have any political clout do they? Isn't he just following the democracy and having an opinion? Isn't he entitled to do that?
  • Has anyone mentioned the Guardian yet?

Or people on here ?
  • Sponsored links:

• 100% support for Charles. We no longer live in a world where discretion counts for much - we've become far too impersonal for that. Why should he not voice his opinion? If he came out with the same message on his t-shirt he'd still have my support.
  • I wish Charles would put out a statement saying `Yeah I did say Putin is acting like Hitler...and i'll add to that he's a murderous thug....so sue me!'
  • Charles may have a priviliged life, but also a very frustrating one. Basically he should have kept his thoughts to himself, but who of us could not have said the same. Putin is getting away with murder, and who knows how far he might go. The sooner he falls of his posing horse the better.
  • Hitler had a referendum on Autria.

Putin had a referendum on Crimea.

I think the warning is if he starts marching troops in next, like Hitler did in Czechoslovakia and if we end up with a "Poland" moment.

100% fair IMO, and although I am far from a royalist I get hit by the irony of people who shout out about how the royal family are completely irrelevant in today's society and then get up in arms about something this completely irrelevant establishment says.
  • Vladimir Putin vs Charles Windsor
    10 rounds inter continental title
    Wembley Stadium 1st July.

On the undercard

nigel farage vs some Romanian bloke

On the undercard

nigel farage vs some Romanian bloke
    I think you will find the undercard is actually taking place next door to Wembley Stadium!
  • If I've read it right, then I don't see an issue. He hasn't said that Russia is doing everything the Nazis did, he's said that them annexing part of the Ukraine is like the Nazis annexing parts of their neighbouring countries. Which it is.

Like the fact he's annoyed the Russians too - they take advantage of uncertainly in a neighbouring country to nick a load of it's land, but get annoyed when a posh bloke from London says he thinks it's a bit out of order.

Thank goodness Britain doesn't do such things to its neighbour!
  • Prince Charles is a notorious twat, I've heard from people who've been forced to work with him.

His sons, however, are apparently absolutely lovely.