Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ronnie Moore

I know rules is rules but he won £3.93 on a £10 accumulator, lost his job, got fined £2,000 and reckons it's hit him overall for £130,000 and probably has no career left now. Be interesting to see what happens to the next Premier league earner that gets caught...

Comments

• always rated him as a manager, would not of minded him with us
  • Seems harsh if true
  • When he gets the ball, he's bound to score.
  • Kap10 said:

Seems harsh if true

He admitted multiple breaches of the rule relating to misconduct in relation to betting.

• I thought he bet on Tranmere to get relegated?

Great manager.
  • Just seen this. It explains the reasons he was sacked from Ronnie's perspective. It does seem harsh if a £1 bet on Tranmere WINNING cost him his job.

Ronnie Moore: 'Tranmere took easy way out by sacking me'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27559923

Former manager Ronnie Moore believes Tranmere took "the easy way out" by firing him for breaking the Football Association's betting rules.
    Moore, who was sacked in April, was given a one-month suspended ban and fined £2,000 by the FA after placing close to 100 bets over three years.
    The 61-year-old insists the average bet was £12.
    "Had we been top of the league, there was no way in this earth it would have happened," he said of his sacking.
    Moore was suspended by Tranmere and replaced by assistant John McMahon on 17 February after the FA began an investigation.

He was dismissed the following month after it was confirmed by the FA that he had admitted a misconduct charge regarding multiple breaches of rules relating to betting on games. The Prenton Park club went on to be relegated into League Two.
    "I wasn't even asked about it," he added. "Surely the first thing you'd do if your manager was involved was to get him in a room and have a one-to-one with him, but just to be suspended was frustrating."
    The online account was used by Moore and three family members and the bet that landed him in trouble was a win-double on Moore's club Tranmere and Manchester United that won his sister-in-law's son less than £4.
    "The average bet was £12. It's ridiculous. And the £1,000 or so I put on, only £250 was mine," he said. "I genuinely thought that I would get a warning, I never imagined they would take it any further. I told them it was an honest mistake, it has been family bets over a three-year period."
    Only one bet made from the account involved a Tranmere match. "It was a £1 win-double that my sister-in-law placed," Moore explained.
    She text me saying that her son really fancied Tranmere to win away at Colchester and Manchester United to beat QPR, so she asked me to put the bet on for her because I had the account.
    "It was a genuine, honest mistake, do people honestly think that I would put a £1 bet on my own team? I could understand if I had £15,000 on Tranmere to get beat, then I should get hammered into the ground, but it seems extreme to me that a £1 bet should cost you your job."
    Moore, whose accounted posted a loss over the period, has been told by the FA that his integrity has not been called into question and believes the governing body accept that his intentions were honest.
    The former Rotherham and Oldham boss said: "They gave me the lowest one [suspension] possible because they have seen the nature of the bets.
    "Because the account was in my name, I was guilty. But in my eyes I was not guilty because I didn't know I was doing anything wrong.
    "But as a manager of a football club I should have known the rules. I feel embarrassed that I didn't. I wouldn't have done it if I'd have known.
    "I want to get back working. I have had 16 or 17 years as a manager, done nearly 900 games, I want to get to the 1000-mark because that won't happen again in modern-day football."
  • I remember paying £1 towards his transfer fee to us!
  • edited June 2014
    Seems very harsh - surely common sense should have a part in this? I had an I helped to buy Ronnie Moore cerificate too - wish I had kept it!
  • edited June 2014
    Never saw him play for Charlton so excuse my lack of respect

He comes across as a total twat as a manager

He has broken all the rules on betting. As a football manager his family shouldnt even be betting on games, let alone in an account under his name.

Liability for such offences has to be strict. Otherwise u get into dodgy waters....what about a player who throws a game and spends the winnings on life saving cancer treatment from a US clinic? Also allowable?

Got to be strict on this. Ronnie Moore is a plank to do this.
  • edited June 2014

He has broken all the rules on betting. As a football manager his family shouldnt even be betting on games, let alone in an account under his name.

Liability for such offences has to be strict. Otherwise u get into dodgy waters....what about a player who throws a game and spends the winnings on life saving cancer treatment from a US clinic? Also allowable?

I admit he was a bit of a hero of mine when he played at the Valley and I have followed his career since he left . I always thought his best games for the Addicks were as a centre back particularly in the Spurs Cup games.

I think he has been an excellent lower league manager . In a different era he might have been given a better job. His achievements at Rotherham in particular were impressive. He has been unlucky to have come through when the game changed . At L1 level I can't think of many better managers .

If he had have bet £1 on Tranny losing I would agree with you . He didn't so where is the conflict of interest ?I hope he gets another job.

• Sponsored links:

• Richard J said:

I admit he was a bit of a hero of mine when he played at the Valley and I have followed his career since he left . I always thought his best games for the Addicks were as a centre back particularly in the Spurs Cup games.

I think he has been an excellent good lower league manager . In a different era he might have been given a better job. His achievements at Rotherham in particular were impressive. He has been unlucky to have come through when the game changed . At L1 level I can't think of many better managers .

If he had have bet £1 on Tranny losing I would agree with you . He didn't so where is the conflict of interest ?I hope he gets another job.

But surely his job precludes him from betting on English football and he's been caught making over 100 bets over three years. If his bet on Tranmere was only £1 - and he appears to have been well aware that it was against the rules - then that shows what value he placed in his job.
  • @Richard J

Anyone in football shouldnt be allowed to bet on football IMO.

I am making my judgment of him on Tranmere only where he comes across as a dinosaur...I accept this isnt balanced
  • I like Ronnie Moore and paid my £1 so we could sign him.

But he must have known as a manager you can't bet on your own team and there are no excuses I'm afraid.

I'm not saying Tranmere should have sacked him. but it was up to them & they chose to.

If he thinks he's right and they are wrong, no doubt he would take legal action, but of course he won't, because he hasn't got a case.
  • I had an I helped to buy Ronnie Moore cerificate too - wish I had kept it!

Wish I'd kept mine too.

• Oggy Red said:

I had an I helped to buy Ronnie Moore cerificate too - wish I had kept it!
    Wish I'd kept mine too.

Still got mine
  • I only put 50p in the bucket when it came round, so presumably I never qualified for a certificate :-(
  • I feel sorry for him but I am pretty sure that everyone in football knows the rules around betting - those rules are there for a reason!

Just Google 'Ryan Tandy' and see where betting on sports ends up.
  • I think it is reasonable to assume that nobody will mind if you put a pound on for the sister in law. Obviously a wrong assumption, but I would say an honest one!
  • edited June 2014
    @Claydon Road I accept I am not balanced either. Ronnie was a particular favourite of mine which colours my perspective about this issue.

When he played for Rotherham I hated but respected him as he always scored against us . My view changed when I used to collect autographs around the back of the West Stand after games and he helped me and my group of friends obtain the signatures of his team mates including Emlyn Hughes who was Rotherham's player / manager at the time .

When he signed for us I was slightly older and Ronnie drank with us in the old Valley Club a few times along with Paul Pace our Maltese friend whose name sometimes gets discussed on here .Paul was Ronnie's unofficial minder before his family moved down south. The last time I met him was when a group of us turned up at Prenton Park when the Addicks were due to play Everton in the late 80's . He remembered me and arranged for us to have a tour of the ground. He genuinely liked Charlton and went to our games when we played in the north during Lennie's era. His banter relationships with Barnsley and the Massives marked him out for me as one of football's great lower league characters. If you speak to those clubs fans of that generation they still remember him.

I do now accept that as a manager he would not have cut it at a higher level in the modern game and I suspect that League 1 is his level. I also feel that Tranmere were one of the most anti football sides when we were in League 1 and I dreaded their visits to the Valley. However , Les Parry was in charge of them then and Moore only took the job towards the end of our promotion season when he kept them up with a decent late run.

That said . I do know in employment law terms he does not have a leg to stand on and it would be gross misconduct and lead to dismissal without notice. I just feel it seemed a very hard punishment for a bet which was not about Tranmere losing. Had it been the other way around I accept it should have been curtains.
  • Appointed manager of Hartlepool United today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good luck Ronnie. You will need it . One of my favourite lower league managers joins one of my favourite clubs ( Ompa Lumpas / Smurfs).
  • Was today karma ? Ronnie keeps the Pools up at the expense of Cheltenham and you guessed it Tranmere
  • Did a great job. They were struggling big time when he took over.
  • 10 points away from safety when he took over and they are safe with 1 game to go
  • I paid a £5 for him.
  • Manager of the year in my view .
  • Richard J said:

Manager of the year in my view .

You and Jeff Stelling
  • 10 points away from safety when he took over and they are safe with 1 game to go

And the side that sacked him went down.
  • Pleased with this