Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Thailand's Army Chief Announces Military Coup

Any Charlton out there, stay safe.
Thailand's army chief has announced his forces are taking control of the government following months of deadly clashes.

General Prayuth Chan-ocha said on live TV: "In order for the country to return to normal quickly the National Peace Keeping Committee comprised of the army, the Thai armed forces, the Royal Air Force and the police need to seize power as of May 22 at 4.30 pm."

He added: "All Thais must remain calm and government officials must work as normal."

Thai soldiers stand guard during a coup at the Army Club where Thailand's army chief held a meeting with all rival factions in central Bangkok

Thailand's army chief has announced his forces are taking control of the government following months of deadly clashes.

General Prayuth Chan-ocha said on live TV: "In order for the country to return to normal quickly the National Peace Keeping Committee comprised of the army, the Thai armed forces, the Royal Air Force and the police need to seize power as of May 22 at 4.30 pm."

He added: "All Thais must remain calm and government officials must work as normal."

General Prayuth Chan-ocha made the announcement on national television
The National Peace Keeping Committee that imposed martial law on Tuesday will now take full control of the country to prevent the conflict escalating, he said.

General Prayuth said the constitution is being suspended, and all cabinet ministers must report to the military by the end of the day.

Members of the pro-government "red shirt" group carry their belongings as they walk past Thai soldiers at an encampment in Nakhon Pathom province on the outskirts of Bangkok
Red Shirt supporters are told to leave a protest site outside Bangkok
A nationwide curfew from 10pm to 5am has been imposed, and meetings of more than five people banned.

In addition, all TV and radio stations have been ordered to stop normal programmes and only broadcast army material.

Thai soldiers reportedly fired into the air to disperse thousands of pro-government Red Shirt protesters, who gathered in western Bangkok after the coup was announced.

In the past six months of violence, 28 people have been killed and the Thai economy has shrunk by 2.1%.

The coup - the country's 19th since the fall of absolute monarchy in 1932 - follows two days of meetings between rival political leaders that failed to break the deadlock.

Politicians at the talks, held at a heavily-guarded military HQ in Bangkok, were seen being taken away by soldiers.

It was unclear whether they had been formally detained.

The coup is Thailand's 19th since the fall of absolute monarchy in 1932
Acting Prime Minister Niwattumrong Boonsongpaisan - who replaced Yingluck Shinawatra after she was removed from office by the Thai Supreme Court earlier this year - did not attend because he was busy, according to a government official.

General Prayuth said his forces would "provide protection" for foreigners in Thailand, which is visited by around one million Britons a year.

British ambassador to Thailand Mark Kent said: "British citizens should exercise extreme caution and follow travel advice and media updates."

On Wednesday, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon issued a statement urging "full respect for democratic principles and engagement in democratic processes", while the European Union called for "a clear timetable" for a snap election.

Red Shirt supporters of deposed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who was toppled in a coup, and his sister Yingluck, have been on the streets since November last year.

They are in a bitter dispute with Yellow Shirts, comprised mostly of the pro-establishment with quiet backing from Thailand's powerful monarchy.

The Yellow Shirts are demanding political reforms ahead of elections which had been scheduled for later this year.

Comments

• Cheers Absurdistan. Not my first coup out here but still it feels a little odd and more and more announcements/restrictions are being released by Army. But remember it is never as bad as they make it out on BBC!
  • I remember phoning my brother in Thailand last time this happened. He just went "oh, that'll explain the picture of the King on all of the channels" and seemed unbothered. A regular occurrence. hope all are safe though
  • lived through one in 1992 .
    Only got back last night from Thailand---not many troups about to be honest all Tv channels restricated or shut down. The stalemate between the Red and Yellow shirts was only going to end in a blood bath-----so far what the army has done is right.
  • Have been in Bangkok today and inadvertently came across the anti-coup protestors. Nothing much but ended violently allegedly. But basically nothing different until the 10pm curfew. Hopefully that wll be stopped soon, at least outside Bangkok. TV is back. I am now in a small village where nothing will happen and back to Phuket Tuesday.
  • The Thai Navy have taken over the Pattaya police station ----the chief of police is a well known Red shirt supporter

when i left of Wednesday lots of army on the road junctions but didnt see any at the air port
  • It's amazing how when a Western backed army in Egypt seizes power it is legitimate but when an army not backed by the west does it it is a "coup"

Funny world.
  • True, a terrorist is another man's freedom fighter depending on who's backing him.
  • It is not usually all that serious - the military take over when the politicians get themselves into a mess - this time the red shirt, Shinawatra faction called elections knowing as they represent the rural poor they would get elected. The yellow shirt, Democrats who represent the Bangkok elite and middle classes boycotted the election which meant no government. The army step in again to break the dead lock.

What might make this different is the army have detained 100 politicians (to give them time to think) including the former prime minister and the Crown Prince is holed up in England. The King who is a constitutional monarch is revered is old and has been unwell.

I would expect Thailand remains safe as usual and if you visit you won't notice much different to normal. I would avoid the government district, Suan Luam and the Grand Palace area -if it kicks off it will be here - but the rest of the country should be OK
  • Thanks, hopefully ease off the 10pm curfew soon as I am going on the 16th June!
    Driving down to Cha am , only a couple of hours from Bangkok!
  • @charliewright1 you'll be fine there. Really it's no different on the surface.

Tend to disagree with @maglor's analysis. Very simplistic and not really the issue.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks "Bangkok Dave"
    How strict is the curfew?
    Is it enforced in Cha am, Hua Hin etc?
  • Hua Hin and Cha Am can be stricter than the rest of the country in some instances as it's where the King now resides permanently so the police/army can have a different agenda.

Follow @richardbarrow on Twitter for good up to date reports, mainly from Bangkok but also around the country via his many followers.

I'd hope that the curfew is relaxed by then. I am sure you'll have a good time there, whatever.

Thanks "Bangkok Dave"
    How strict is the curfew?
    Is it enforced in Cha am, Hua Hin etc?

• @Bangkokaddick‌
    @Bangkok Dave

Whats the situation like out there now?
    I'm heading over there in a couple of weeks, will be there for the WC semi's and final by the look of things. Any recommendations as to where to watch the games?
  • Overall it is fine and safe for travel, curfew was lifted for he start of the World Cup, there are very few soldiers on the streets and it is not overtly obvious that the Military are in control. There have been no violent protests since the coup. There is underlying concern about restrictions on freedom of the press and speech.

It depends where you are staying, let us know, regarding watching the games. They are 3am kick offs (this World Cup is killing me!) but a lot of places will be showing them. As I said let us know the area and I'm sure we can come up with some recommendations.
  • Sitting by the pool as I read CL!
    Unfortunately going home early hours tomorrow morning, been hear 10 days and had a great time. No signs of army or police for that matter!
    Speaking to our hotel General manager and she said they had a few cancellations due to the military takeover, but I can honestly say it's been as relaxed as ever in this wonderful country!
    COYR...........come on you reds :)
  • Sorry forgot to mention I am staying in Cha am but have been going into Hua hin by taxi at night, absolutely no problems, and no curfew.
  • Sorry forgot to mention I am staying in Cha am but have been going into Hua hin by taxi at night, absolutely no problems, and no curfew.

Dirty boy. Give my regards to Hua hin.
  • Overall it is fine and safe for travel, curfew was lifted for he start of the World Cup, there are very few soldiers on the streets and it is not overtly obvious that the Military are in control. There have been no violent protests since the coup. There is underlying concern about restrictions on freedom of the press and speech.

It depends where you are staying, let us know, regarding watching the games. They are 3am kick offs (this World Cup is killing me!) but a lot of places will be showing them. As I said let us know the area and I'm sure we can come up with some recommendations.

Gonna be staying roughly between Asok and Nana BTS off the Sukhumvit Rd
  • Soi bintabaht know it well ,lovely temples (that's what I told the mrs)
  • Davo55 said:

Sorry forgot to mention I am staying in Cha am but have been going into Hua hin by taxi at night, absolutely no problems, and no curfew.

Dirty boy. Give my regards to Hua hin.
    Haha, not guilty (and I don't know what you mean!!!)
    I'm afraid it's a nice meal and a stroll around the night market for me!!!
    I'm afraid I'm with the missus!........sorry I meant I'm glad to say I'm with my "darling wife"!
    And yes I will have a couple of ice cold Singhas for you!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Nana a great place to party in the late 80z early 90z far better that Patpong and less busy than Soi Cowboy. Use to fall outer there and go to some huge all night noodle bar , where hundreds of the "staff" from the bars use to go.

Best part of town. I live on Soi 21 near Asoke. For footie I'd suggest The Clubhouse on soI 23, Mulligans on SoI 11 or The Game by Soi 9. All those have been showing every game. Of course Soi 4 will be open as well and most bars showing games.

Best part of town. I live on Soi 21 near Asoke. For footie I'd suggest The Clubhouse on soI 23, Mulligans on SoI 11 or The Game by Soi 9. All those have been showing every game. Of course Soi 4 will be open as well and most bars showing games.
    Great stuff, thanks for the info.