Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Drummer Lee Rigby - Lest We Forget

Comments

• Options
    Most memorials (not plaques and suchlike to individuals, large scale memorials) are to more than one person, and to conflicts as a whole - people who died in a war. Putting up a similar memorial would (to the extremists) let them justify what happened as an actual war not a pair of murderous scum killing a man on a street corner. I am not saying it's right and I don't think Rigby should be forgotten but it's a little more complicated a decision than just a money-saving exercise by cold hearted council types I think.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    That seems to be the common theme though, seeing things from the eye of the Islamists. It would be Our memorial, not theirs and Imo it should reflect that in the wording on it. Then, if need be, it should be protected by CCTV 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
  • Options
    There's a small memorial to the policemen killed on Wormwood Scrubs Common in the 60s during a raid, but it is very small and discreet, if you want a loose precedent
  • Options
    Ditto, WPC Yvonne Fletcher opposite the Libyan embassy at St. James's Square.
  • Options
    Loads of police ones about. Jim Morrison on India place. Keith Blakelock on muswell hill broadway are another two. Another outside harrods which I can't remember the name of.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

thenewbie said:

Most memorials (not plaques and suchlike to individuals, large scale memorials) are to more than one person, and to conflicts as a whole - people who died in a war. Putting up a similar memorial would (to the extremists) let them justify what happened as an actual war not a pair of murderous scum killing a man on a street corner. I am not saying it's right and I don't think Rigby should be forgotten but it's a little more complicated a decision than just a money-saving exercise by cold hearted council types I think.

On that basis then, we should ask Greenwich council to remove Stephen Lawrence's plaque/memorial.
    Not really, because I don't think Lawrence's murderers claimed to be soldiers in a holy war. They were racist thugs, no more than that. They aren't held up as martyrs or holy warriors. Lee's killers both claimed it to be an act of war and that they were soldiers, and to that kind of mind a memorial would prove them right.

I am NOT (I really must make this clear) against remembering Lee Rigby in some way, but a small plaque of some kind, perhaps not even at the spot he died but somewhere chosen by his family would perhaps be preferable to a large memorial. It's a tricky situation and I am not entirely sure of the rights and wrongs but a poor choice could make this killing a religious/racial hotspot and controversy as the killers' wish, not ''just'' a murder by two thugs who will spend their lives rotting in prison.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    brogib said:

That seems to be the common theme though, seeing things from the eye of the Islamists. It would be Our memorial, not theirs and Imo it should reflect that in the wording on it. Then, if need be, it should be protected by CCTV 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

DA9 said:

thenewbie said:

On that basis then, we should ask Greenwich council to remove Stephen Lawrence's plaque/memorial.
    Spot on. I'm not 100% sure I think there should be a memorial, but there's a memorial in Eltham at the spot where Stephen Lawrence died and it is protected by CCTV after some scumbags tried to vandalise it - if Rigby isn't getting a memorial then there needs to be a better reason than this.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

thenewbie said:

DA9 said:

thenewbie said:

Not really, because I don't think Lawrence's murderers claimed to be soldiers in a holy war. They were racist thugs, no more than that. They aren't held up as martyrs or holy warriors. Lee's killers both claimed it to be an act of war and that they were soldiers, and to that kind of mind a memorial would prove them right.

I am NOT (I really must make this clear) against remembering Lee Rigby in some way, but a small plaque of some kind, perhaps not even at the spot he died but somewhere chosen by his family would perhaps be preferable to a large memorial. It's a tricky situation and I am not entirely sure of the rights and wrongs but a poor choice could make this killing a religious/racial hotspot and controversy as the killers' wish, not ''just'' a murder by two thugs who will spend their lives rotting in prison.
    The only controversy is being caused by Greenwich council.

Irrespective of the "motivations" behind both murders, two people were murdered on our local streets, Greenwich council seemingly couldn't do enough for one family, and still do via taxpayer funds (cctv), and seem to be washing their hands of the other.
    And to make it perfectly clear, this is not about removing or criticising Stephen Lawrence's memorial, this is about doing the right thing and even handiness.
    Agreed. Also Lawrence's murderes ARE glorified by some morons - some of our fans have been nicked for allegedly singing their praises.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Radzinsky said:
    I have read elsewhere that the council stated the above....but the family have since confirmed that they did not request that there wasn't one.

I really don't understand Greenwich council's position on this. If enough people want one, why not give it to them?
  • Options
    I agree Chizz and that's pretty much what I was trying to say though not half as eloquently. I just feel the fear is (rightly or wrongly) that a memorial at the scene would act as rallying point for the murderers' allies as much as the victim, who is who we should all remember with pride.
  • Options
    So neither of you think that not putting a memorial up might be playing into the hands of the Islamists then?
  • Options
    brogib said:

So neither of you think that not putting a memorial up might be playing into the hands of the Islamists then?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't think that.

The man deserved to be remembered for his life, not his death. The murderers deserve to be forgotten.

• Options
    thenewbie said:

I agree Chizz and that's pretty much what I was trying to say though not half as eloquently. I just feel the fear is (rightly or wrongly) that a memorial at the scene would act as rallying point for the murderers' allies as much as the victim, who is who we should all remember with pride.

Maybe it will - but why on earth should this country continue to live in fear of doing things that are peaceful and commemorative because of what some extremist to$$ers might think about it?

Them considering a memorial as a rallying point or a 'victory' symbol wouldn't make them any more deluded than what they already are, afterall.
  • Options
    No, I think there absolutely should be something to remember him by, he should not be forgotten. But putting something in the spot where he died may not necessarily be that thing. That's all I am saying. As Chizz says, he should be remembered, the murderers forgotten. Putting a plaque somewhere else, of the family's choice, or perhaps founding some sort of charity in his memory or naming a public facility of some kind after him would be more use than a memorial on the spot he died.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited May 2015
    Chizz said:

brogib said:

The man deserved to be remembered for his life, not his death. The murderers deserve to be forgotten.

And I'll say it again, on that basis Greenwich Council should remove Stephen Lawrence's memorial in your opinion.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

I d
    thenewbie said:

Is Stephen Lawrence's memorial a rallying point for racist groups?
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Chizz said:

brogib said:

And I'll say it again, on that basis Greenwich Council should remove Stephen Lawrence's memorial in your opinion.
    That's not my opinion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:

thenewbie said:

Maybe it will - but why on earth should this country continue to live in fear of doing things that are peaceful and commemorative because of what some extremist to$$ers might think about it?

Them considering a memorial as a rallying point or a 'victory' symbol wouldn't make them any more deluded than what they already are, afterall.
    All sorts of people might think that a memorial, placed on the site of the murder might be a rallying point. Not just those who sympathise with the murderers, but all sorts of people in every range of political beliefs and ranges of idealogical spectrum.
  • Options
    The WW2 memorial in every town probably attracts the odd fruit loop.

The council should listen to do whatever his parents and closest want. If the council won't oblige them with, what would undoubtedly be a publically funded memorial, then they should be ashamed of themselves and remove the Stephen Lawrence one.

However, I don't know what the family want.
  • Options
    WSS said:

I think there are, on average, two murders a week in the UK - how many of those are forgotten?

The horrible truth is that the number is closer to eleven per week.
  • Options
    Apologies, I forgot to add "in London".
  • Options
    As far as I'm aware, we don't actually know for sure whether or not the family are pro- or anti-memorial (for whatever reason) and it's all 'I heard x', 'well, I heard y', so if anyone can please get some sources that would be great. The thoughts I have put on here are just my thoughts and if the family DO want a memorial then they should have one. But if they don't, their wishes should be respected. It's they who lost a father, son, and husband and he should be remembered as those who knew him best would wish, however they decide.

I am bowing out of this here though because I haven't the time, patience or any inclination to get drawn into any kind of debate about Stephen Lawrence or memorials in general or any other political fuzz. Once people start telling me what my opinion is it's time to cut my losses and get out I think.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

brogib said:

The murderers themselves should be forgotten, but not the reason why they murdered. That should be at the forefront of everyone's mind in order to combat the warped ideology they and many others have.
  • Options

Chizz said:

brogib said:

The murderers themselves should be forgotten, but not the reason why they murdered. That should be at the forefront of everyone's mind in order to combat the warped ideology they and many others have.
    You're under the wrong assumption that there might actually be a reason for the murders. There wasn't.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

brogib said:

You're under the wrong assumption that there might actually be a reason for the murders. There wasn't.
    Really? Of course there was a reason in the murderers minds. They pretty much blurted it out to the world on camera afterwards.