Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Drummer Lee Rigby - Lest We Forget

Comments

• Options
    1StevieG said:

Interesting piece from the Times yesterday on building a memorial for Lee Rigby -

Rigby’s killers don’t deserve a memorial to their vile deed

How tempting it is to damn the council jobsworths who snubbed a petition by 12,000 people to erect a memorial to Fusilier Lee Rigby on the spot where he was hacked to death in Woolwich a year ago.
    And how easy to savage the local MP for opposing the memorial because it “might attract undesirable interest from extremists”. So, too, might mosques, synagogues and churches, but we don’t remove them from the streets.
    Yet however wrong the reasoning may be, Woolwich would be better off without this memorial. Rigby’s murder was an outrage but it was, after all, just another horrible street crime by killers with a warped view of society. It does not deserve to be granted any wider significance. Rigby’s killers would love it if their deed were made to stand out like a skirmish in a Holy War.
    We shouldn’t be feeding their poisonous philosophy by building what they would love to think of their Place de la Bastille, the scene of a great triumph.
    True, the victims of other notorious murders have stones to mark where they were slain. PC Yvonne Fletcher has one in St James’s Square. PC Keith Blakelock has a polished granite stone near the site of his murder at Broadwater Farm. Stephen Lawrence has a stone set into the pavement in Eltham.
    But it is a practice that risks getting out of hand. There are upwards of 600 murders a year, for each of whom a case could be made for a memorial. Accept one and councils will find themselves under pressure to accept them all.
    Worse, they are going to be concentrated in areas trying to shake off violent pasts, blighting them for ever. Fancy investing in a street where there are constant reminders that someone was shot in a gangland killing, someone else stabbed for their mobile phone and another person mown down in a road-rage attack?
    Of course, Lee Rigby will not be forgotten but he should be remembered as he was, not a soldier cut down in battle but a young man murdered while peacefully going about his business.
    Like the most violent neighbourhoods, Woolwich should be allowed to escape the legacy of street crime. It shouldn’t be turned into an open-air museum of murder sites, still less presented as a battleground in a religious war.

I quite agree your sentiment. As shocking and awful a slaying as it was, I don't think any good would come of a permanent memorial.

I can understand why people would want one. It is a way of saying that we are not bowed by the act, and that we stand behind our armed forces. These are noble reasons for wanting to commemorate the life of Lee Rigby, but he will be remembered every year on the Sunday in November closest to the 11th of the month. This is the time when we remember all our fallen no matter what the manner of their death.

I think Lee Rigby would want to be in that company. He'd settle for that.

Rest in Peace, soldier. The Navy salutes you.
  • Options
    I hope all hope is taken from them.
    That would be fair justice.
  • Options
    anyone on here taking part in the walk next Friday
  • Options

If I wasn't working I would hope it goes well
  • Options
    dancafc said:

If I wasn't working I would hope it goes well
    provided I get back to Woolwich in time, I will be taking part
  • Options
    2 years today. RIP.
  • Options
    Raods are not closed for this walk--unlike the other 2.
    White Horse at 8PM for the off.

lee`s Mum went to the Lib(2 weeks ago) to say thanks to the staff for their hospitality and help.

Regardless of the plaque issue for Lee Greenwich Council should apologise NOW for the LIE they published(repeated on here) that stated Lee`s family where happy with their idea of having a plaque in a chapel-----this was never the case and the family never agreed to this.
  • Options
    RIP Lee.
  • Options
    RIP Lee

Like AFKA, this still infuriates me every time I think about it. Will never forget being on a train home from work that evening absolutely fuming about what I'd heard.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What time does the walk start and where does it start
  • Options
    Sorry just read it further up
  • Options
    RIP Drummer
  • Options
    Rip lee let's hope the scumbags that did it get what they deserve inside
  • Options
    RIP Lee Rigby
  • Options
    Never Forget - RIP Lee Rigby.
  • Options
    RIP Lee Rigby.

That was a truly terrible day.
  • Options
    A bit of me that day lost a lot of faith in what I believed was capable of any human
    Since then it has happened over and over again just not in the streets in the UK and not in my home town outside of an establishment I am immensely proud of and on a road so close to my first home

Rip Lee never forgotten
  • Options
    I just left, was very emotional

Gone but never ever forgotten, a hero's life cut so tragically short

R.I.P Lee
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They're all piling into wetherspoons now.
    I'm off.
  • Options
    See ya
  • Options
    Laters
  • Options
    Good to see u and Tav yesterday B. O and by the way nice whistle Tav
  • Options

Good to see u and Tav yesterday B. O and by the way nice whistle Tav

Cheers Fella! Got to keep up the image.
  • Options
  • Options
    The issue with having a memorial to Lee Rigby isn't that it would be a memorial to him, a decent man and human being, but would serve to memorialise the scumbags who killed him. Of course they would not be mentioned by name but the fact that their actions would be remembered as long as the memorial stood would be propaganda gold for the extremists and the damaged souls who aspire to such things. It would be a rallying point for the very people we SHOULD forget - his killers.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

The issue with having a memorial to Lee Rigby isn't that it would be a memorial to him, a decent man and human being, but would serve to memorialise the scumbags who killed him. Of course they would not be mentioned by name but the fact that their actions would be remembered as long as the memorial stood would be propaganda gold for the extremists and the damaged souls who aspire to such things. It would be a rallying point for the very people we SHOULD forget - his killers.

Surely that can be said of any memorial to the fallen, anywhere in the world.