Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jose Riga- good bye thanks and good luck

Comments

• 3 managers since January we're even ahead of Man United...
  • Would love to see curbishley lead the team back out the tunnel. I reckon I would get all soppy and shed a tear or two.

The memories would flood back...Those dark days that are no longer so dark....

Come on Alan,
  • I was fortunate to see 14 of his 16 games in charge, they became a pleasure not a chore as many had during the season. I liked his substitutions, his player rotation, his insight into quickly knowing which were the winnable games vs the potential lost causes. He took over from a legend and quietly yet confidently won me over. I shook his hand at the POTY dinner and categorically stated what a breath of fresh air he had been and that I very much hoped he would lead us next season. I sensed he was overwhelmed by the warmth and affection towards him. Gutted he will not be in charge but it's onwards and upwards, as ever it is CAFC I support and there will still be lots of positives to look forward to.

It is certainly a very interesting ride at the moment watching the plans evolve from our owner, RD. Everything is in its early stages, the decks have been cleared, personnel changes made, the next few weeks will prove to be very interesting!

Good luck Jose for the future.
  • This is absurd: You make Jose Riga sound as if he is dead, and this is a book of remembrance. Even Brendan O'Connell hasn't done his "RIP".

Riga is a good man - for us, the fans, most importantly. He saved us from relegation. I like the way he did a "selfie" with the front row in his first match, and the way he stands close to the touchline, trying to understand all our mistakes on the pitch.

Riga is a thoughtful and intelligent man, and I'd like him to push us to the play-offs next season.
  • This is absurd: You make Jose Riga sound as if he is dead, and this is a book of remembrance. Even Brendan O'Connell hasn't done his "RIP".

Riga is a good man - for us, the fans, most importantly. He saved us from relegation. I like the way he did a "selfie" with the front row in his first match, and the way he stands close to the touchline, trying to understand all our mistakes on the pitch.

Riga is a thoughtful and intelligent man, and I'd like him to push us to the play-offs next season.

Blimey. I actually agree with some of that ;0)

• Good luck Mr Riga. You did a great job and I wish you were staying.

I can't understand the decision and I hope Mr RD knows what he is doing. I must admit, I had been very optimistic about the decisions that RD was making, but now that has gone down a notch or two. I'm sure in the long term he has a plan but in the short term I would have preferred Riga to be in charge as he is the devil we know and he did a bloody good job.

Blimey. I actually agree with some of that ;0)

Careful now, SHG: don't lose your integrity!

• MSE7 said:

Would love to see curbishley lead the team back out the tunnel. I reckon I would get all soppy and shed a tear or two.

The memories would flood back...Those dark days that are no longer so dark....

Come on Alan,

Think he's booked for November manager of the month but need to check that one
  • I just don't get it.

Neither do I. Some bizarre comments on here.

• Was gutted when Powell went and sceptical about Riga when he arrived, but was won over by both the man himself and our progress under him. While I can understand people saying not to prejudge Bob Peeters, he is an unknown quantity, and that's what bothers me more than the Millwall connection. The uncertainty last summer over the club's finances and whether we were going to be sold or not caused a massive hangover into this season, and has partly resulted in the huge player turnover this summer. Given that upheaval in the squad, it seems daft to have an unnecessary change in manager as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• I
    aliwibble said:

Was gutted when Powell went and sceptical about Riga when he arrived, but was won over by both the man himself and our progress under him. While I can understand people saying not to prejudge Bob Peeters, he is an unknown quantity, and that's what bothers me more than the Millwall connection. The uncertainty last summer over the club's finances and whether we were going to be sold or not caused a massive hangover into this season, and has partly resulted in the huge player turnover this summer. Given that upheaval in the squad, it seems daft to have an unnecessary change in manager as well.

I agree, but the slight Millwall connection won't hinder his best endeavours for us: he has everything to prove. However, his total lack of managerial experience in the Championship is a huge disadvantage...

• edited May 2014

I

aliwibble said:

Was gutted when Powell went and sceptical about Riga when he arrived, but was won over by both the man himself and our progress under him. While I can understand people saying not to prejudge Bob Peeters, he is an unknown quantity, and that's what bothers me more than the Millwall connection. The uncertainty last summer over the club's finances and whether we were going to be sold or not caused a massive hangover into this season, and has partly resulted in the huge player turnover this summer. Given that upheaval in the squad, it seems daft to have an unnecessary change in manager as well.

I agree, but the slight Millwall connection won't hinder his best endeavours for us: he has everything to prove. However, his total lack of managerial experience in the Championship is a huge disadvantage...

Or an advantage? He might not be scared of it (here's hoping...)
  • Lack of Championship management experience didn't seem to hinder, Riga, Powell, Curbishley.

Remind me the names of the managers that got relegated from the Championship this season.
  • Lack of Championship management experience didn't seem to hinder, Riga, Powell, Curbishley.

Remind me the names of the managers that got relegated from the Championship this season.

Compare those names with the 'experience' lot we've hired in recent times. Dowie, Pardew and Parkinson. Which 3 would you rather have?

Good point, SHG. Move over, the old order.

• Riga, no one had ever heard of you before you took over at CAFC and rescued us from a difficult situation. But I would like to say a big thank you as for me you made Charlton get back to the football that I remember when I first started watching Charlton in the 90's. Keeping it on the floor and getting it wide with tricky wingers.

Perhaps I might get some comments that those days are gone but from Jose Riga's first game in charge I felt he made an immediate impact on the style of football Charlton played and for me it got better and better.

I am sorry that you are not going to be our permanent coach as I think we could have kicked on really well over the summer. Sadly it was not meant to be, I am sure he will never read this comment but good luck in the future. You did your best for our club in difficult circumstances and kept us up. The players liked you and fans also grew to like you too in most cases.

It is not our decision on who is the next coach or manager but hope that our new owner can make a good decision. I feel he did by bringing in JR, I would stick my neck out to say I do not think CP would have saved us - controversial but I am entitled to an opinion. I feel semi-confident that we will get a decent coach, not perhaps one we all might like initially but grow to like.

Good luck Jose, if we do come up against you in the future I will applaud you for saving us this season. But nothing more as you will not be our coach! All the best JR.
  • Thank you Jose for everything you've done here. It wasn't just keeping us up in the Championship. You lifted the spirits of the whole squad and brought the best out of many players. Like everyone else I was sceptical at first, but after just two months you completely won me over. I've been a fan of this club for only 10, 11 years and now you're my third favourite Charlton manager, just after Alan C and SCP. (To other Addicks fans reading this, please don't laugh at me because I was too young to experience the legendary years of Lennie Lawrence) When I said on here the other day that do not become sentimentally attached to people brought in by RD, I was actually trying my best to overcome the huge disappointment in your departure. It's been hard to take, especially knowing that you liked the club and did want to continue your work here. Such a shame the owner couldn't see what we saw.

I wish you every success in whatever you do in the future. Your stay was short but you will not be forgotten. Thank you.
  • Very sorry to hear that Jose won't be our Manager next season. Seems a very strange decision by RD, as a bit of stability would have been good.

Thank you Jose for all that you did in the short time you were with us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Very bizarre decision given him and R to the D are tight. Literally have no idea where our next manager is gonna come from now but odds on we'll have never heard of him before.

If Riga turns up at another champ club I'll be pretty pissed off and it will make this an even more mystifying decision.
  • edited May 2014
    Just posted on Facebook by Jose's son on the announcement of Peeters:

• How worried should we be!?
  • Signed one year revolving deal Blackpool
  • Come back Jose.
  • Please come back Jose
  • Welcome back, thanks and good luck?
  • Jose Riga would be silly to take this job (if offered, which it wont be).

We all think very highly of him after his short spell and the chances of him repeating that level of success are low. Why tarnish the reputation?
  • We have done a lot worse since he left.