Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jose Riga- good bye thanks and good luck

Comments

• Oh, well done RD. you have come to this sleepy backwater of football in England, you have obviously realised that we aint gotta clue and that all this shite footballing country needed was a bloke who needs a 'yes' man. Two managers,so far, have said "F' off it aint gonna happen......"get the picture? CHARLTON ATHLETIC AND ENGLISH FOOTBALL are not the same as your crap in Belgium. It has history and tradition, it has supporters who actually and genuinely love their club and bleed tears when others come in and try to take the heart and soul out of it.

Wise up man for Heavens, Charltons, ours and your bank balances sake!
  • I was lucky enough to have a few chats with Jose, really decent man, knew his stuff, and the players clearly rated him, such a shame he will not be in charge, have a feeling he would have been very good for us.
  • I'm in head in the sand mode. I'm not saying goodbye until it is confirmed that there is no role for him at Charlton or in the network.
  • I wonder if we'll ever get to know the truth of why RD didn't want Riga. Riga was his choice, he'd done well, kept us up, fans liked him, players liked him, why on earth would you then not want to keep him on?

I've always been pro-RD and to be fair to him, every decision he's made so far seems to have come off for him, so maybe this one will too. But it certainly doesn't feel that way right now. RD better have some f*cking good signings up his sleeve this summer
  • Jose riga should have been given the chance to take us forward , but thats football nowadays owners hold all the cards , good luck jose and thanks.
  • This may be total bollocks but...

Since Riga has left we've heard a few players saying what a top bloke he was, yet Chris Powell is a legend in our eyes, but very few players ever seem to come out and display the same admiration for him as we do.
  • Gutted to be honest, more gutted than i was about Powell.

Seriously this is a joke right, although gutted and think Riga should of stayed how can anyone say they are more gutted when a manager who had been here for 3 months left than a club legend who had been here 3 years as Manager
    Don't think it's a joke at all... Believe Riga is a fantastic manager and will go on to bigger things

Since Riga has left we've heard a few players saying what a top bloke he was, yet Chris Powell is a legend in our eyes, but very few players ever seem to come out and display the same admiration for him as we do.

Andy Hughes heaping praise on Powell on talksport earlier

Poyet praised and thanked both of them.

Lots of former players praised Powell including people like Sullivan and Elliot who he'd got rid of.

Let's move on from Powell now. It was two coaches ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Is this the same RD who made a point of emphasising how important we the fans were, the heartbeat of the club and how he wanted to improve the match day experience for all of us. Since then he has sold off our favorite and much loved player. He has sacked one of the most popular Charlton men in our history. He came up trumps with installing Riga, the perfect man at the perfect time. But RD could sense that we were starting to feel the love for Riga also. There's no room for sentimentality in Roly's world, so Riga had to go also. Thank god none of us care too much about our Diego, because as sure as night follows day, he'll be on his way soon as well. But Roly may well have shot himself in the foot with Diego and thrown away many millions, because had Riga stayed I think there was a chance of Diego signing a new contract, as it stands he'll now walk away for peanuts. Thanks Jose for everything, you were a class act and will go down in Charlton folklore, as for RD, he's gone down massively in my estimation.
  • vffvff
    edited May 2014
    RD has finally managed to unite Charlton supporters, bloggers and forums - in near universal confusion and disbelief at his decision not to confirm Riga as head coach.
  • vff said:

RD has finally managed to unite Charlton supporters, bloggers and forums - in near universal confusion and disbelief at his decision not to confirm Riga as head coach.

Well you would be very hard pushed to find anyone who wanted Riga to go after what he achieved.
  • Lets be serious for a minute , 99.99% of Charlton fans had never heard of Jose Riga before he set foot on these shores , how do we know the new fella is not as good , if not better than Jose , i am forever grateful for what Jose has done in keeping us out of League One , but lets wait and see until we reserve judgement, before we start slating the new guy.

That is much too sensible Mendonca. I was really hoping that Riga would stay. But I seem to remember when he was appointed a lot of posters were writing him off and venting their spleen about Powell. Now the same is happening over Riga and the new guy. The constant writing off of players and coaches before they have arrived has become a Charlton trait.

Having said all that I am struggling to see what RDs master plan is. Surely we need some continuity and I believe that appointing Riga would of helped give us that.

• edited May 2014
    I am disappointed as most of us are that his time at Charlton has been so short. I think the respect he earned during that period will keep him up there as a club legend in the same way that Jeppson remains one to my generation - spoken about by my family as the man who saved the season!

It's all about opinions. JR was fortunate to have some youngsters - blooded under CP who stepped massively up to the plate. The extraordinary talent of Poyet - brought in at Wigan. The emergence of Cousins who grew in confidence as the season unfolded, and the mercurial talents of Harriott, to name but three. Perhaps by accident after the shambolic January window, these players had to rise to the top as the RD imports failed to fire. I am sure that JR was given a brief to keep us up and to use the RD system players as much as possible. His overriding brief was to keep us up.

I think the fight that CP felt was needed in the end was his undoing. In the end the players need 100% belief in the shirt. Much of that is engendered by the manager. If the manager is at odds with those who run the club, that will undermine the players belief. It only needs to be by 1 or 2% and that is the difference between success and failure. At the end of his days, the players had lost 100% belief. RD, had to replace CP.

Much that is written on here remains speculation and in my view less informed probably than at any period in the club's recent history. What we know is that JR is not the one to take us forward and a possible alternative may have been lined up. If the reason that JR did not fit the bill is because he wouldn't sign up to the RD project, then for the sake of a harmonious relationship, we will need one that will. That is blindingly obvious to me. We may not like RD's plan but for that plan to have any chance of success, he needs buy in by the Manager/Head Coach.

Interesting days ahead methinks. If it all works most of us will forgive this passing over of JR, just as we did the removal of our club hero CP.
  • shirty5 said:

vff said:

Well you would be very hard pushed to find anyone who wanted Riga to go after what he achieved.
    Thats right Shirty apart from one important character with a name beginning with 'R'.
  • shirty5 said:

vff said:

I no someone, he sits near me at The Valley
  • CAFCsayer said:

Gutted to be honest, more gutted than i was about Powell.

Seriously this is a joke right, although gutted and think Riga should of stayed how can anyone say they are more gutted when a manager who had been here for 3 months left than a club legend who had been here 3 years as Manager
    Don't think it's a joke at all... Believe Riga is a fantastic manager and will go on to bigger things
    I agree with that, the thing I am disagreeing with is being more gutted that Riga went than Powell
  • BingAddick

Interesting days ahead methinks. If it all works most of us will forgive this passing over of JR, just as we did the removal of our club hero CP.

-----

........depending on what happens next and if it is positive.
  • Rumours that Birmingham City might be after Riga. Hmmmm!
  • Sponsored links:

• Thank you Jose, we all really appreciate what you did for us and was able to turn a poorly performing team around very quickly. Good luck with whatever you do in the future.

I am disappointed that Riga is not going to be boss next season. But when he joined he did say it was only until the end of the season with the mission to keep us up. When pressed at the time about going beyond that contract didn't he refuse to answer? I kinda hoped when he expressed a desire to stay he would be considered but doesn't sound like thats the case and it was probably RD's plan all along to bring a new manager in this season.

Whether the reasons for not giving him the role is because he wasn't playing all of RD's players i am sceptical of because if RD was that forceful of who should be playing, then surely we would have seen more of Thuram and Nego and surely he would have demanded it during the run seeing as thats the reason given for Powells sacking by some? Just my opinion based on the players Riga picked from day one when he took over because surely if playing RD;s players was the requirement they would have all been playing.
  • edited May 2014
    Riga did a good job; he wanted to stay; the players liked him; the fans liked him.
    Therefore can only assume he wasn't acquiescent enough for RD.
  • Jose riga.

Tactical genius.

Thanks and good luck mate.
  • Don't get the reasoning behind this? everything seemed to point to getting Riga in on a perm contract. Now we are having to pay compensation for an unknown, in experienced lower league manager. All very odd
  • Yep I'm gutted.

I was 100% behind him from the day he took over, so i will do exactly the same with whoever takes over this season.

All new managers and players deserve a chance.

Riga won't be out of work for long and whatever team he takes over will have made a very good decision.
  • When will the penny drop with RD? Does he ever wonder to himself, 'Why do these managers always insist on choosing who plays for them when they have me, world-renowned football expert Roland Duchatelet, to choose for them?'
  • Uboat said:

When will the penny drop with RD? Does he ever wonder to himself, 'Why do these managers always insist on choosing who plays for them when they have me, world-renowned football expert Roland Duchatelet, to choose for them?'

The belgian posters on here have said that Peeters won't be a 'yes man', so if RD is so keen to find one, he wouldn't be looking to pay compensation for a manager thats not gonna do as he says.
  • Jose Riga, Solid manager, did a great job in very difficult circumstances.

I feel like in a few months I'll be saying..,
    Bob Peeters, Solid manager, did a great job in very difficult circumstances.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Jose Riga, Solid manager, did a great job in very difficult circumstances.

I feel like in a few months I'll be saying..,
    Bob Peeters, Solid manager, did a great job in very difficult circumstances.

I hope you are right.
    But it still doesn't explain why Riga wasn't offered the job.
  • I think my point was lost there. I'm saying I get the feeling he is like Jose not a yes man. As such in a few months will gt the boot.