Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jose Riga- good bye thanks and good luck

Comments

• Options
    Nicholas said:

Good luck Jose, Sad and baffled to why he has gone would be quite pissed off if he goes on to manage another team in England and becomes a top coach. Think it may be time for RD to at least let the fans know why.
    Not pancaking yet but really hope we don't leave our transfer dealings to the last minute like last season. But then again I suppose we need a manager first.

I won't be pancaking until Shrove Tuesday:-)
  • Options

The very best of luck, son - we're grateful for all that you achieved for us and we're proud to have known you.

It may be some consolation to you - it's none at all to us - but you've put yourself well and truly on the map. To succeed in the mission you were handed clearly makes you someone pretty special.

In no time at all we took to you and you took to us. What a shame it had to end this way, and so soon.

Hou je taai, jonge, en tot ziens !!

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Everyone has already said it. Jose, you worked a miracle to keep us up and I think, we all felt, you were the man to move us on next season. The RD offer must have been the same as the one CP faced and was again, unacceptable. (in footballing terms?)

I am not convinced RD will run the club like a football club. He seems to be into an experiment and intends to make money. I fear all our good players will be sold off to balance the books each year and we will be fighting for our lives again like last season. I truly hope I am being over pessimistic but something underlying just feels wrong.

Thanks again Jose and good luck.

- Just read it was the Chairman's decision to dispense with Jose. No reason given. Pretty classless after the job he had done.
  • Options
    I was another who was more than a little doubtful when he arrived, but am now very willing to recognise the great job he did and would have been pleased to see him sign a longer term contract.

He obviously realised the sensitivity of the situation surrounding his appointment, but got on with the job in his own way.

That he now could be leaving for the same sort of reasons as his predecessor is more than a little ironic.

Good luck to him.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Nicholas said:

Good luck Jose, Sad and baffled to why he has gone would be quite pissed off if he goes on to manage another team in England and becomes a top coach. Think it may be time for RD to at least let the fans know why.
    Not pancaking yet but really hope we don't leave our transfer dealings to the last minute like last season. But then again I suppose we need a manager first.

I won't be pancaking until Shrove Tuesday:-)
    whoops must have been hungry as I wrote it :)
  • Options
    Best wishes Jose, you are not leaving under a cloud, and ought to be proud of your work at Charlton.
  • Options

Trying to find the sense, some logic, in this sad episode. I think it is very little about JR and mostly about RD - despite his achievement JR ended up the fall guy, and RD got what he wanted (as he usually does, it seems).

It shows two sides to RD. There is the dispassionate, calculating disciplinarian whose carefully reasoned theories, still it must be said in their formative stage, must be applied with absolute consistency - otherwise, if his lieutenants all do their own thing, how is he to know if his ideas are in fact sustainable. He must have conformity across the whole of his network - there is no place for dissidents.

On the other hand .... he himself made the decision to appoint JR, confident that he could get the job done, but the timescale meant that however things worked out he was stuck with him for the last brief weeks of the season. Nonetheless It became very clear that JR was indeed managing to get things back on track, and so RD the pragmatist allowed him his head and the mission came to its triumphant conclusion.

He let him twist in the wind for a little while, and then ultimately denied him the chance to continue and build on what he had started in a place where he seemed to fit perfectly. Utterly ruthless. Maybe RD was still mindful of JR leaving SL to work in Qatar but mostly it was his employee's independence that could not be tolerated.

Why would you dispense with someone who in few weeks had shown himself perfectly suited to his task? He is at your disposal - why turn instead to another candidate who was still employed by another club and therefore would cost you compensation. A young coach, not overly successful in his brief career to date, to replace a proven success.

Beats me.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's obvious isn't it. Riga was cheaper than Powell. Peeters is cheaper than Riga, it's exciting guessing what's coming next, a cheeky Belgian bin man?
  • Options
    Cheers mate, shame Roland wont budge on this stupid transfer policy of his.
  • Options
    Don't get this at all. Riga wanted to stay. Feel like ive been kicked in the gonads!
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

It's obvious isn't it. Riga was cheaper than Powell. Peeters is cheaper than Riga, it's exciting guessing what's coming next, a cheeky Belgian bin man?

I doubt Riga was cheaper. I suspect RD was planning on keeping Powell and sacking him in the summer - but when Chrissy wasn't signing up to his ideas and he felt it was affecting the team (it probably was) he had to sack him. I'd rather we were bought by somebody else and kept Powell who would have taken us to the top with some backing I believe. Anyway, he had to go to the best manager he knew - said manager - Riga - agreed to do the job - made conditions that he had full power over all decisions and probably had a nice incentive package should he succeed. A big reason why he succeeded was that he quickly got it - but getting it meant doing the opposite to what RD was planning to do. This was fine as it got results, but RD has faith in his idea and seems to me too arrogant to adapt it. If it goes tits up - it's only Charlton anyway. I was one of the few who didn't expect Riga to sign. Why? Because it was clear, like Powell - that he was a good manager - not a yes man!

• Options
    Cheers for everything Jose, shame you have been treated so poorly.
  • Options
    F##king gutted
    Got a hatrick out of harriot and sordell
    Something Powell would never archived
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I'm not sure he has been treated that badly. He came in as a short term head coach with one goal. Keep us up. I do not remember RD promising him a deal if he succeeded.

It sounded like they signed a contract on a napkin in the beginning. I know it won't stop the RD critics having a go but i always saw Riga as a short term coach. Did i want him to stay? Yes. Did i expect him to stay? No.

RD should at least get some credit for hiring the guy in the first place, a decision he had to get right and did. Time will tell if letting him was the right decision but like Riga I will give the new bloke a chance.
  • Options
    I think RD looks at the manager the same way as the players. He wants a young unproven guy to learn and improve. He has a vision. A cunning plan. But as Blackadder would say. There is only one flaw with your current plan RD.....It's bollocks.
  • Options
    I'm gutted. Really wanted him to stay, reckon he could have done great things for us. Big, big loss. Good luck Jose and thanks for saving us from another stint in League One.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Fumbluff said:

I was one of the few who didn't expect Riga to sign. Why? Because it was clear, like Powell - that he was a good manager - not a yes man!

Nonsense.

RD hired Riga because he knew him and knew his abilities. If he wanted a yes man why would he hire someone he knew who wasn't a yes man. Madness comment. Just admit RD got Powell's replacement spot on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Riga's assessment on the strength of our league and the quality needed didn't tie in with RD's vision of bringing in Liege fringe players and lower Euro league players on cheap wages.
  • Options
    Good luck Jose - thanks for doing what seemed like the impossible. Thought we might have reached some kind of stability and a base on which to build again but we find ourselves back at square one.

Further underpins my view that we appear to be nothing more than an experiment / item on a balance sheet, Charlton means more to us than that.

Gutted when Chris left and gutted now Jose has left, what's next?
  • Options

Lets be serious for a minute , 99.99% of Charlton fans had never heard of Jose Riga before he set foot on these shores , how do we know the new fella is not as good , if not better than Jose , i am forever grateful for what Jose has done in keeping us out of League One , but lets wait and see until we reserve judgement, before we start slating the new guy.

People won't wait and see. They have already made up their minds. Scant information to do so but made up nonetheless. It's the way of the world.

• Options

I'm not sure he has been treated that badly. He came in as a short term head coach with one goal. Keep us up. I do not remember RD promising him a deal if he succeeded.

It sounded like they signed a contract on a napkin in the beginning. I know it won't stop the RD critics having a go but i always saw Riga as a short term coach. Did i want him to stay? Yes. Did i expect him to stay? No.

RD should at least get some credit for hiring the guy in the first place, a decision he had to get right and did. Time will tell if letting him was the right decision but like Riga I will give the new bloke a chance.

I've always been happy to give RD the benefit of any doubt, but the hope that he was some kind of benevolent paternalistic figure now seems very wide of the mark. Sure, he deserves every credit for his inspired appointment of JR, but what undoubtedly started as a short-term fix very quickly developed into something much more, and he should have been prepared to adjust. That, however, may be something he's not comfortable or even familiar with. A pity.

Without doubt he's a keen historian. He must know that after what this club went through in the 80s and early 90s stability is all-important. OK, so he's had his work cut out dealing with what Cash's munchkins left behind, but JR gave us a glimmer of better things to come, only for us be left again with a lot of uncertainty. As well, this has been a PR disaster. What does KM make of it all, I wonder - not that it's ever likely we'll know.

Of course we wish BP well - to do otherwise is only cutting our own throats. He will find a welcome in a rather better SE postcode than he's used to, and the best of luck to him. In the meantime, I'm feeling a bit Charltoned out. Still, some other encouraging news - the pitch (don't know if it's the old one or the new one) is at present in the West Stand car park.
  • Options
    RD is more gung-ho than Daniel Levy

Thanks and good luck Jose

I have never been as out of love with my football club

Sad times
  • Options
    I'm already departing from my club. It's no longer Charlton but some club from Belgium. The good news is that. It will save me money....the bad news is that ive lost a love.
  • Options
    I just don't get it.