Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Petition to re-start the search for the missing British yacht crew

edited May 2014 in Not Sports Related
I know I said I would be gone until the new season however I signed the petition to re- start the search for the missing Yacht crew earlier and got an email requesting I forwarded it.

Personally I think that it's a disgrace that the search was called off so soon.

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/u-s-coastguard-restart-the-search-for-the-missing-cheekirafiki-crew-dontstopsearching

Comments

• Signed, I really hope they are found.
  • Signed. Sadly, maybe a sign of things to come re ocean rescue.
    As someone who has been caught in an F7 in the Mediterranean (yes they do happen) in a 36 footer - at the time i felt like i needed my brown trousers on - i sort of understand what they must have been going through - however, losing a keel is something else that i never want to experience.
    My thoughts.
  • The one thing I don't get is why the ship that spotted the upturned hull didn't send someone down to have a look to see if they could see anyone whether they be dead, alive or trapped.
  • Signed. Along with 158,000 others already. They mentioned it on the Today prog. this morning as 'more than 30,000'
  • You would have thought that if the ship was sinking, they would have used the life raft. Unless it overturned suddenly! It does seem a bit odd that the ship didn't investigate the overturned hull. This may have given some firm clues. I would say that whilst they are most likely dead, there should be a sufficient chance to warrant continuing the search.
  • Great news.

The search for four British sailors missing in the Atlantic Ocean since Friday has resumed.

The US Coast Guard confirmed it had begun searching again after an online petition gathered 200,000 signatures.

Cheeki Rafiki, the 40ft racing yacht, was sailing from a regatta in Antigua back to the UK when it got into difficulties. The initial search was called off on Sunday.

Prime Minister David Cameron thanked the coastguard for its response.

Contact with the yacht was lost on Friday after the boat began taking on water and diverted to the Azores.