Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

famous people you have met

Comments

• Options
    leefender said:

Used to live around the corner from ex Australian captain Mark Taylor, absolute champion of a man who would always make time for a chat about the cricket

He always seemed like a decent bloke
  • Options

at the euros last year had a pint and a chat with tony woodcock.

Hope he bought it.
    When I saw you were the last person to post in this thread, I honestly thought it was going to be you mentioning meeting George (from George and Mildred) in a chip shop....again.
    My grandad looks to spit of Brian Murphy isnt that right @stackitsteve
    Surely you don’t need him to confirm it? :wink:
  • Options

leefender said:

Used to live around the corner from ex Australian captain Mark Taylor, absolute champion of a man who would always make time for a chat about the cricket

He always seemed like a decent bloke
    An absolute top bloke no question, and is actually a close family friend of the Neville's!!

Met him a couple of times, and he is about as unassuming and modest bloke you could meet. Loves a beer and a chat, but you would never know that he wax one of Australia's most sucessful test captains.

Ian Healy is also a terrific bloke, who can literallydrink his own weight in beer - a beast of a drinker.
  • Options
    leefender said:

Yep - this is bang on.

My mate played 4th XI for Taylor’s old club in the Sydney Grade competition.

Early season they were having a shocking start and who turns up to their training session to give them a hand? Only the Australian captain, a certain MA Taylor!

Hamish said he pitched up to a midweek training session like it was the most normal thing in the world with his coffin and just said, “Right, I hear you blokes need some help,” and just got stuck in.

An absolute gentleman of the highest order and of all the people I have met in Aussie Cricket I have never heard anyone with a bad word about him.
  • Options
    30-odd years ago (actually probably more) I used to put gigs on so met a few people through that (some before they were famous)
    John Peel - pleasant, but obviously did this a lot
    Andy Kershaw - bit moody
    David Gedge (Wedding Present) - top bloke
    Dave Balfe (ex Teardrop Explodes, then ran Food Records)

Did some comedy promoting in the mid 90s. I failed miserably but did meet among others Robin Ince and Graham Norton. Robin would probably still remember me. Graham Norton was top value- very professional. He was booked for this gig and we had hardly anyone there (less than 5 I think). The deal was a split of the door money. The other 2 comics just wanted to go so we cancelled the gig. (I don't remember their names). Graham Norton would have happily played to just one and spent the evening being entertaining in the bar.

Jerry Dammers was at my mate's wedding but I thought it would be embarrassing to just go up to him and be all gushing (didn't stop another of my mates from doing just that).
    I've met Andrew Rankine the drummer from the Pogues a few times as he's played in bands with mates.

I honestly can't remember anyone else, though I must have met some others.

• Options
    Met Sir Clive Woodward recently through work. Very easy to chat to with plenty of charisma.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited November 2017
    I’m good friends with Spider from the Pogues ex wife Cheyne, she does a lot on the rockabilly & blues scene, she had a minor dance hit in the 80’s called Call Me Mr Telephone.
    We had a very interesting conversation years ago when she said she was surprised that I was a “nice guy” for a rangers fan, as her ex husband apparently always spouted hatred and bile about all rangers fans/Brits etc (she’s American)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Hope he bought it.
    When I saw you were the last person to post in this thread, I honestly thought it was going to be you mentioning meeting George (from George and Mildred) in a chip shop....again.
    Perhaps if they could be at the Tom Bells in Beckenham for 19.00 tomorrow then I'll see for myself.

The cod is very nice there.
  • Options
    Saddam Hussein. He was a bit intense.
  • Options
    Bumped into Becks again tonight
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Prince Harry. Last month in Copenhagen.

Chris Powell
  • Options
    I organised a gig earlier in the year. Gavin from Gavin & Stacey turned up.
  • Options
    Anyone that has been to up the creek on a saturday night has more than likely met Mickey from only fools and horses
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    DA9 said:

Had a whizz next to David Baddiel at the o2 last night, couldn’t tell if he is really Jewish or not

Saw Baddiel live many years ago, he tells a story of how he has been beaten up twice, once for being Jewish the other for being a Pakistani, he added 'I just wish they would make their minds up'.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some years ago now, met Max Wall who used to drink at the Hare and Billett on Blackheath. Funny guy.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Had a Tug next to David Baddiel at the o2 last night, couldn’t tell if he is really Jewish or not

• Options

DA9 said:

Had a Tug next to David Baddiel at the o2 last night, couldn’t tell if he is really Jewish or not

You ought to be given a ban for messing with posts Otto.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Greenie said:

DA9 said:

Had a whizz next to David Baddiel at the o2 last night, couldn’t tell if he is really Jewish or not

Saw Baddiel live many years ago, he tells a story of how he has been beaten up twice, once for being Jewish the other for being a Pakistani, he added 'I just wish they would make their minds up'.
    He never was funny, was he.
  • Options
    just bumped into Chris Eubank outside my work
  • Options

Hope he bought it.
    Perhaps if they could be at the Tom Bells in Beckenham for 19.00 tomorrow then I'll see for myself.

The cod is very nice there.
    Agreed but chips not so good. I prefer Village Fish and Chips.

• Options
    Muhammad Ali
    John Martyn
    Richard Griffiths
    Tom Baker
    Maureen Lipman
    Neil Ardley (recorded Harmony of the Spheres with John Martyn)
    Johnny Mars (blues harmonica player)
    Black Francis
    Sue Perkins (worked with her when she left school and before she went to. Cambridge)
    Michael Nyman
    Vin Garbutt
  • Options
    Bumped into Hugh Dennis in Homebase Finchley Rd last weekend.
  • Options
    We were walking behind Trevor MacDonald from the tube station to Lords.
  • Options
    Alison Hammond from big brother.
    Beat that.