Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Javier Zanetti retiring

It's not a big deal in this country but I think it's worth pointing out that at the age of 40 and after over 1000 games, Javier Zanetti is finally hanging up his boots. This weekend sees his last ever match at San Siro for Inter.

Always a model pro, never cynical, could play in a variety of positions without fuss, loyal to his club and completely dedicated to the game.

After exchanging rings and vows with his childhood sweetheart, Paula, one December morning back in 1999, Zanetti famously decided that the moment was right to pop another question. Would she mind if he went for quick run, before the reception, "just for a little bit, eh?"

He had brought a change of clothes with him to the church, and a set of trainers just in case. Paula could only laugh and consent. "If I got angry every time Javier went training," she noted, "then I would have had a sour face on every day since I was 14 years old."

Oh, and he has an awesome head of hair:

The game of football could do with more people like Javier Zanetti.

Comments

• Model pro and a great player - I can't believe the game loses Zanetti, Giggs and Kevin Phillips in the same season !
  • edited May 2014
    Remember when he scored the goal to make 2-2 against England at France 98. Amazing career.
  • edited May 2014
    Top top player.

I hope church doesn't hang around that long.
  • edited May 2014
    Seen him play a number of times, one of those players who is good when his team are on top, but you see the best of him when he's up against it - a player who never hides, is always looking for the ball and has dug Inter out of many a hole in his time. I'm pretty sure Giggs said he was the best player he had played against.
  • A true Inter legend. Massive parallels with Giggs. Hope he manages Inter soon.
  • se9addick said:

Model pro and a great player - I can't believe the game loses Zanetti, Giggs and Kevin Phillips in the same season !

Although good Phillips is not in the same league as the other 2 lol
  • Great player!
  • Not just a model pro but a great player who adapted his game over the years.
  • Hope Jacko can do this.
  • Legend, and this is coming from a Juve fan. Never have I seen him have a bad game, great professional
  • Sponsored links:

• Zanetti billboard in central Milan - nice touch. Zanetti came off the bench as Inter won 4-1 in his final game at the San Siro yesterday.
  • His captains armband has the names of every players he's played with.

Legend - without doubt