Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Hughes (ed. Confirmed to be leaving)

Comments

• Options
    "You are Charlton, I am Charlton, We are Charlton!" Andy Hughes video amendment to script
  • Options
    Great contribution - even if much of what he gave to the club went under the radar.

He's moving on, so time to say thanks for everything and good luck!
  • Options
    Loved his style - never complained and made the whole place a happier club to be at for the players and staff. Good luck 10Dog!
  • Options
    The video of his best bits on the club's Facebook is brilliant.
  • Options
    With Jacko around, the soul of the team is in safe hands
  • Options
    Good bloke.Time for everyone. Great to have in the dressing room. But he will always be leeds though!!!! and he knows it
  • Options
    Genuinely gutted about this as would have loved him to join the coaching set up. Ah well good luck Hughesy!
  • Options
    Did very well for us and wish him all the very best for the future.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Go & cheer up someone else's dressing room, Hughsey !!!

All the best for the future .
  • Options
    Good luck hughsey , great pro.
  • Options
    We will be seeing a lot more of him on TV in the future. He is made for it.
  • Options
    A whopping great loss. Good luck Hughsey.
  • Options

Is it true that he covered himself in bandages like an Egyptian mummy and jumped Powelly, shouting "look boss I'm nearly fit!" ?

Yes it is. I've been at a couple of meetings with players, where that story was told.
  • Options

Is it true that he covered himself in bandages like an Egyptian mummy and jumped Powelly, shouting "look boss I'm nearly fit!" ?

Yes it is. I've been at a couple of meetings with players, where that story was told.
    Wish I'd seen that! Best of luck to him.
  • Options
    A testimony to his off field influence is how many of us are sad to see him go, not many players with so few appearances have been held so warmly my us all.
  • Options
    Good luck Hughesy. We never rarely lose with Andy Hughes.
  • Options
    Shame he isn't staying in a backroom capacity, would've been an asset.

Good luck for the future Andy and thanks for what you brought to the club.
  • Options
    Great pro. You could see him motivating and pushing the team from the sidelines. Never once did I see him on the sidelines with the expression of a player pissed off because he wasn't in the team. I hope he gets first team football somewhere as he's coming toward the end of his career. Good reporting from the BBC as they've got him down as 36??? I could've sworn he's only 32. Defo got a few more years in him somewhere.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sad to see him go - a real character who contributed a lot to keeping things together during recent testing times and who I will always associate with the good times when we got promoted. Hope to see him back some day.

Thanks and good luck Andy.
  • Options
    cafc.co.uk/news/article/20140507-andy-hughes-story-1541318.aspx

Great interview. Top bloke is Hughsey wish him all the best in what he does next.
  • Options
    Never seen an interview that in depth with a player we're simply releasing. Shows what a great character he is.
  • Options
    Unless you've only recently started supporting Charlton I don't understand why you wouldn't get it, but anyway. Since relegation from the prem we've been through a lot of players. (Someone on here probably knows the exact number) It's just what happens when you're in the lower leagues, you get loans, short and long, players on frees, you take chances, sometimes they work, sometimes not, you get stuck with the players no one else wants, but for whatever reason the turnover becomes higher than when in the top tier. Fans generally become less attached to the players, are less likely to have their name on the back of their shirt and in turn the players play with less passion and heart for a number of reasons. In some cases, you'll even lose your manager, a stable, and a constant. Therefore when a player comes along that for whatever reason fans have an affinity with, it's natural that you want to maintain that feeling of familiarity. I feel that with Johnnie Jackson, yet even he's only been here 4 (?) years. A lot of people clearly felt it with Kermogant too. I also feel it with Hughes, despite the fact that he's probably more influential off the pitch than on it. For all those reasons I don't want him to leave.
  • Options
    What a brilliant interview! It says as much about our great club as it does Hughesy himself, that he leaves with such positive feelings on both sides.
  • Options
    Love that interview. Such a positive and professional member of the squad. Manages to combine being a consummate professional with being a real Jack the Lad. Clearly has his head screwed on.

One other thing I noticed about him and told my 11 year old son to take note off was how he undertook the half time subs training. Everything was done with pace and urgency. A five yard pass was played firmly, a five yard sprint was done properly. The little things that separate the wheat from the chaff.

Top man. Hope he comes back to us at some point,
  • Options
    All the best Andy, maybe we will see you back one day.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the laughs Andy, I cant wait to see Nick Montgomery to pull his leg about the Scotland call up by Levine. Come to Australia mate.
  • Options
    Didn't mention him sending Cameron Stewart to Leeds. Bloomin' cheek.
  • Options
    Pat Nevin tells a great story about a fringe player at Chelsea in the mid-80s called Tony McAndrew who was captain of the reserve team.

Nevin said that McAndrew was brilliant behind the scenes, he kept everyone enthusiastic and 'together' and would not allow any 'them and us' fracturing between the 1st team and the reserves.

Nevin said that once McAndrew left there was a huge problem in the squad because there was nobody there as a unifying force.

I suspect that Hughes has done a similar job for us.