Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A dilemma. Need a bit of advice

Right up there with the best 'what are the odds of that bloody happening' anecdotes is this one.
I've been looking around for a new job, quite selectively I may add, these past few months as my current one is......I'll just say getting tiresome for a number of reasons that I won't go into.
I've sent out my cv to just a couple of places that I think could well be better for me and have secured an interview for one on Monday morning after blowing out a couple of dates last week due to work and family commitments. " Monday,definitely Monday" I seem to remember saying.
Now here's the rub. I've just had a phone call informing that as I am on call this weekend I'm needed in work on Sunday night! Sunday bloody night!
We get called in at various times on our rest days but Sunday night callouts are as rare a rocking horse sheet! Part of the reason I chose Monday!
I'll be in at 7pm .when I get away I can't be sure. looking at how fate is firing its poison arrow at me these days it won't be an early one.
So. What do I do. Chucking a sickie would look very bad. I am obliged to do this. Ringing up the new company is a no no. I'm guessing personnel won't be in the office until about half an hour before the interview starts. Anyone ever had a decent interview straight after a nightshift? Should I tell the interviewees about my cluster***k of any decent preparation during the interview?

'Elp!

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Tricky. Can you swap your shift with any workmates?
    I guess it depends how likely you think you are to get the new job and how much you want it. Also how much you think you can do a decent interview after a night shift. If you can still function reasonably, then just gear yourself up for it and deliver on the day :-) And I would explain to the new company what has happened. At least it will make you look reliable and conscientious.;-)
    Good luck in whatever you decide and I hope you get the job.
  • 3blokes said:

Tricky. Can you swap your shift with any workmates?
    I guess it depends how likely you think you are to get the new job and how much you want it. Also how much you think you can do a decent interview after a night shift. If you can still function reasonably, then just gear yourself up for it and deliver on the day :-) And I would explain to the new company what has happened. At least it will make you look reliable and conscientious.;-)
    Good luck in whatever you decide and I hope you get the job.

Cheers. Swappings a no mate. We are very thin on the ground these days. Partly due the reasons I chose not to mention!

• Do you want the `new' job? Are you confident about the interview Monday? If `yes', throw a sickie for the Sunday night shift. It'll be worth it if successful....and if your current employer gets the 'ump, well, you're looking to leave anyway.
  • You can't get sacked for going sick once but you can be ruled out of new job for not going to an interview. No brainier really. Go sick. Alternatively go in and suddenly come over all ill and not fit to continue and get sent home.
  • Right up there with the best 'what are the odds of that bloody happening' anecdotes is this one.
    I've been looking around for a new job, quite selectively I may add, these past few months as my current one is......I'll just say getting tiresome for a number of reasons that I won't go into.
    I've sent out my cv to just a couple of places that I think could well be better for me and have secured an interview for one on Monday morning after blowing out a couple of dates last week due to work and family commitments. " Monday,definitely Monday" I seem to remember saying.
    Now here's the rub. I've just had a phone call informing that as I am on call this weekend I'm needed in work on Sunday night! Sunday bloody night!
    We get called in at various times on our rest days but Sunday night callouts are as rare a rocking horse sheet! Part of the reason I chose Monday!
    I'll be in at 7pm .when I get away I can't be sure. looking at how fate is firing its poison arrow at me these days it won't be an early one.
    So. What do I do. Chucking a sickie would look very bad. I am obliged to do this. Ringing up the new company is a no no. I'm guessing personnel won't be in the office until about half an hour before the interview starts. Anyone ever had a decent interview straight after a nightshift? Should I tell the interviewees about my cluster***k of any decent preparation during the interview?

'Elp!

I don't imagine this story will help you but I was had an interview three hours after stepping off and overnight flight from America. I did tell them what was happening as the original interview dates where when I was away. I didn't get the job as many of my answers weren't 'in depth or informative enough'. I remember virtually nothing of the entire interview I was so tired and I later wished I hadn't bothered. Obviously if I'd got the job it would have been the best idea ever!
  • Chuck the sickie if you get the job you won't give a shit if you don't you've had a nice evening off
  • If charlton win today tattoo the name of the company you are interviewing with on your arse. Do the night shift and in the interview tell them you couldn't let your current employer down so have just come off your night shift but here is proof of how much you want to work for the new company and just drop your keks.
  • Prob the easiest answer (as many people have suggested) is for you to do a sickie - however it sounds as if you are very conscientious - and are unlikely to drop your colleagues 'in it' . Therefore i would suggest you inform your potential new employers of the situation, and if they are worth working for then they will look at it in a god light.
  • Sponsored links:

• Either do sickie or go in to work on the Sunday but then come over all "queerlike" and have to go home.............
  • edited April 2014
    Two Red Bulls, a pot of pasta, decent film/book and light conversation. The time will fly by. You will be wrecked by 6am but ok after a decent sleep till 2pm
  • Although having an interview after a night shift can't be much different from having an interview after a day shift surely.
  • I used to work night shifts and had a second interview one afternoon following a shift the night before...

I had about 3-hrs sleep prior to the interview and annoyingly kept yawning a couple of times throughout, just kept apologising and kept explaining the situation (my CV proved I was doing shift work as well)

Got the job in the end

• Just thinking. What kind of work do you do that really NEEDS you to go in on a Sunday night? If it's the emergency services or suchlike then I'd take The President's advice. If it's an office job then I'd say that they all have a distorted view of what 'needed' really means, and take 'golfie's' advice.
  • Remember that If you pull a sickie it will probably affect your interview performance as well. Guilt does this to us :). Explain at the interview that you pulled a night shift last night as you didn't want to let your collegues / company down. Its an admirable quality that they will appreciate. Also tell them its not a problem and won't affect your interview as you get by on little sleep in any case. If you can get 4 hours kip in between the end of your shift and the interview I think you'll be all right.
  • 'and have secured an interview for one on Monday morning after blowing out a couple of dates last week due to work and family commitments'

you have blown out a couple of interviews for this already? and they still want to talk to you? they clearly think you are worth persevering with, I wouldn't if someone did that for me, but throwing sickies is a no-no, go to work, then go for the interview, unless you are an 18 year old that cannot handle a little pressure.

go for it, they clearly rate you.
  • I took it he had a couple of dates to chose from for the interview and blew the others out as had commitments so chose the Monday forgetting the night shift.
  • edited April 2014
    how about a fresh 'honest' approach
    to begin with you must have some sort of email contact, or be able to find one out for prospective company and who is going to be interviewing you so…
    1. put an email together dear ? I am scheduled for an interview with you Monday boring at ??:??, however, without warning my current employer has drafted me in on emergency weekend cover not finishing until ??::: am Monday - (suggest 08:00 as a reasonable time)… I am very interested in the opportunity with your company and with this in mind I want to present myself in the best circumstances, I am respectfully requesting if you could accommodate putting my interview back until a later slot in the afternoon, allowing me to recover from a long weekend shift and allowing me to present myself refreshed and and to the best of my ability? I am aware how difficult it has been to achieve / get to, a mutually agreeable date for interview and really do not want to lose this opportunity at this stage.
    2. 1st thing Monday morning you contact whoever it is in company and have a conversation, a simple spoken explanation and request as you have already put in email, hopefully they will respect your honesty and responsibility in the matter and accede to your request, if not maybe you need to ask yourself if they are in fact the right company to be considering?

its honest, its responsible and most important of all you are not lying so you won't have that worry nagging the back of your mind during interview process, in fact you may find it empowering in the interview because you have been honest and in control and therefore they will see you in same light…hope this helps, if not …….

lie :)
    either way GOOD LUCK
  • How did it go?
  • Sponsored links:

• Think what the person due to interview you will want to hear, and then tell them the complete truth. Emphasise your keeness to attend the appointment, and ask whether you could arrange the interview the following Monday. That person will be looking to employ a first class employee, show them the qualities that you have. It always helps to display a good knowledge of the company that you wish to join, be quietly confident and best of luck.
  • Hard to say really. Did my callout.Got away about 12/1 ish so not too bad.
    Not the best interview I've ever given. But interviewing is a two way street and the prospective employers didn't cover themselves in too much glory either.

Cheers for the advice.