Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oasis Reforming?

Comments

• Options
    Not saying fans are stupid to go with it, after all they're fans, It's just a bit manipulative-why not just call it a sabbatical, after all that's what it really is! just stinks of money.
    Seems to be the way it's done these days, just like 're-branding'
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

LuckyReds said:

RedMist said:

Call me a philistine but as soon as they split up you knew it was so they could re-form.
    Oldest trick in the book when things are slowing down. How many 'classic' bands have had a reunion now?

I thought that at the time too. I had seen their last stadium performance at Wembley then accidentally booked V Festival for Staffordshire, which I think was there last performance in general - as they didn't perform in Essex and broke up very soon after in Paris.

I remember thinking what a shitty way it was to treat fans who had travelled and spent some pretty hefty dosh to see them - when let's be honest, it was most likely just to enable them to cash in on their individual names for a couple of years. The newer stuff wasn't as good anyway.

It'll be the 5 year anniversary of the split - so perfect timing. And despite what I've said, I'd still jump at tickets... As stupid as that makes me!
    Hmmm perhaps, but it wasn't drying up was it, they were still selling out every tour date at the time.

A 5 year break was maybe required, I understand that. Trying to keep it fresh.

Sibling rivalry is a funny thing though.
    But if a break was required then it was drying up right?
    My gripe is instead of just having that break it's an opportunity to cash in, I know at the end of the day it's all about money anyway.

my point is-you can still be selling out tours but not have a clue how you're going to come up with any new material, the question is do you throw the towel in, or say " let's give it 5 years then just roll out a greatest hits set"
  • Options
    It's a question of wether they're still trying to be creative or just cashing in-do people want to see a creative force perform or someone taking their money?
  • Options
    RedMist said:

But if a break was required then it was drying up right?
    My gripe is instead of just having that break it's an opportunity to cash in, I know at the end of the day it's all about money anyway.

my point is-you can still be selling out tours but not have a clue how you're going to come up with any new material, the question is do you throw the towel in, or say " let's give it 5 years then just roll out a greatest hits set"

I don't think there's any doubt that Liam and Noel were at the point where they couldn't perform together any more. They haven't spoken for years and I genuinely don't believe that splitting up was just a stunt to con fans out of money.

Ray and Dave Davies are another example - the Kinks nearly split up regularly because they didn't get on even at their peak.

If they've made up and are reforming, even for one gig, then that is great news.

Personally I suspect Liam is just being Liam though and there's something funny going on (but not a reunion)
  • Options
    Strangely I trust Noels judgement to not just do a cash-in, seems a decent enough chap.
    I think bands that do, if they're honest about it, then it's cool, but the tickets should be less!
  • Options
    RedMist said:

Strangely I trust Noels judgement to not just do a cash-in, seems a decent enough chap.
    I think bands that do, if they're honest about it, then it's cool, but the tickets should be less!

I went to work today to earn money....holy dog I've just admitted it.

I'm now considered cool.
  • Options
    difference is you don't charge people to watch you do you?
  • Options
    There's two types of 'work' being a musician...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If they do, then I'm in. Noel has got a cracking solo career going though. Libertines reforming as well, Kasabian headlining Glasto. Big year.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Lot of moaning on here about the bands intentions.

Who cares? If you like the music you will buy a ticket.

Sorry, continuing moan... but what about those that don't as you say care and would love to get a ticket but can't because they've been priced out the market? It's the very nature of it I don't agree with.
    Hype is the glue that holds the music industry together but also the cancer killing it from within.
  • Options
    RedMist said:

Yeh but I've still got a boss that pays me.

Thing is, is that as much as we frown on the image of someone only being money motivated, it is not like anyone of us would be saints in the situation of power and knowing that you've got fans dying to see you at a high cost.

I personally hate the fact that someone like Wayne Rooney rakes in 300k a week, but part of that is because the guy is a twat and has no charisma or personality.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

RedMist said:

Thing is, is that as much as we frown on the image of someone only being money motivated, it is not like anyone of us would be saints in the situation of power and knowing that you've got fans dying to see you at a high cost.

I personally hate the fact that someone like Wayne Rooney rakes in 300k a week, but part of that is because the guy is a twat and has no charisma or personality.
    Well, I can only speak from my own experience and apologise for sounding a twat but have to to explain myself, but with the release of our new album on a much bigger label, we had the opportunity to effectively double our fee, but it meant our ticket prices going up significantly. We Decided to stick with our current structure but do twice as many shows instead.
  • Options
    RedMist said:

Dave2l said:

RedMist said:

Well, I can only speak from my own experience and apologise for sounding a twat but have to to explain myself, but with the release of our new album on a much bigger label, we had the opportunity to effectively double our fee, but it meant our ticket prices going up significantly. We Decided to stick with our current structure but do twice as many shows instead.
    No need to apologise mate it's opinion, I'm just think people would do themselves a favour by not looking too deeply into things.
  • Options
    Ohhhhb, I remember when Oasis were a great band, 1998 is when they peaked.
  • Options
    They were always gonna reform but still not sure it will be just yet, but money talks, and Liam needs the money to pay all his women just like Ian Brown has to and lots of people said The Roses wouldn't reform.

Hope they wait another year or two, really like Noel's first solo album and not sure my liver could face following Oasis all around Europe again...
  • Options
    You gotta roll with it.
  • Options
    twitter's calling it the "pay for Liam's divorce tour". Honestly Noel finally got his out from Liam, i don't think any sane person would go back to working with a knuckle dragger like Liam again.
  • Options
    If they don't do something this year, there is NO WAY they won't reform in 2016 for the Morning Glory 20th anniversary! Those gigs will be so massive they might have to play at Hillsborough!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    god they're horrifically overrated :/ will be nice to see them do a couple of gigs in 10 years or so, but come on people they made 2 good albums and thats it, calm down people.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    All betting suspended on them headlining Glastonbury this year. Make of that what you will
  • Options
    Noel Gallagher is about to go on a world tour. Would've thought any Oasis thing would be for the money so they'd be doing a shed load of dates. If that's the case all that takes a long time to organize which would mean it would be a year and more down the line.

It will happen one day of that there is no doubt , just not right now I'd have said.
  • Options
    buckshee said:

Noel Gallagher is about to go on a world tour. Would've thought any Oasis thing would be for the money so they'd be doing a shed load of dates. If that's the case all that takes a long time to organize which would mean it would be a year and more down the line.

It will happen one day of that there is no doubt , just not right now I'd have said.

Don't think noel is touring ATM.
  • Options

god they're horrifically overrated :/ will be nice to see them do a couple of gigs in 10 years or so, but come on people they made 2 good albums and thats it, calm down people.

It's all about taste - there are people out there who don't support Charlton, believe it or not.

Liam the man is a very intelligent and articulate, according to friends who know him quite well. Liam the knob headed pop star is an act he puts on to keep himself and band in the limelight.

• Options
    edited April 2014

It's all about taste - there are people out there who don't support Charlton, believe it or not.

Liam the man is a very intelligent and articulate, according to friends who know him quite well. Liam the knob headed pop star is an act he puts on to keep himself and band in the limelight.

Good shout Algarve, same as John Lydon/Johnny Rotten, Slash/Saul Hudson, its an act, they are all there to earn money.
    Rock n Roll never will save the world, it just helps you get through the day.
  • Options
    Joshuk87 said:

buckshee said:

Don't think noel is touring ATM.
    He's about to announce a world tour. I know this as a mate is good mates with his tour dj/pal Phil Smith and he's going on it with him.

Bands that do big outdoor summer shows (which if they get back together these will be) usually announce these in the late part if the year for the following summer so the earliest we will know would probably be around October I'd say.

Next year is the 20th anniversary of the release of Morning Glory so it's possible.
  • Options

which i think says it all... let the music do the talking.

I like oasis, I just don't understand this worshipping of them when there are far better bands out there. I guess its just the nawty fellas who like Liam's prickishness,
  • Options

I like oasis, I just don't understand this worshipping of them when there are far better bands out there. I guess its just the nawty fellas who like Liam's prickishness,
    Ha ha - yes probably right there!
  • Options

A bit harsh - they probably still are my favourite band to be quite honest; and I think Liam is a complete tool. I've got a fair amount of admiration for Noel though, he's a talented bloke and seems to have a decent attitude too.

Liam just struck me as someone out for a bit of attention; much to the detriment of Noel it must be said.