Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Happy St Georges Day

13»

Comments

• Options
    Should be a bank holiday.
  • Options

My kids were forbidden from celebrating it at school yesterday as not to cause offense to non English. This of course comes on the back of Africa week, black history month and next weeks French day.... MENTAL!!!!

• Options

My kids were forbidden from celebrating it at school yesterday as not to cause offense to non English. This of course comes on the back of Africa week, black history month and next weeks French day.... MENTAL!!!!

Went past my old Primary and it had St George cross bunting along the entire front of the school building.
  • Options

That is a disgrace mate . Anyway , happy belated St Georges Day to all those who celebrated
  • Options
    Drove from Charlton to Thornton Heath (ugh) yesterday (and back a different way) and saw just two St Georges crosses. One outside a pub and one flying from a car.

People from other countries find our attitude to it really bizarre.
  • Options

Really ? That's what they actually said ?
  • Options
    Headteacher stated that it would be insensitive to make a big deal of it based upon the amount of Eastern European and African pupils who attend the school. Yet on St Patricks Day the pupils were asked to wear green and for French day next week they must dress in a French theme.... Very sad in all honesty.
  • Options

Headteacher stated that it would be insensitive to make a big deal of it based upon the amount of Eastern European and African pupils who attend the school. Yet on St Patricks Day the pupils were asked to wear green and for French day next week they must dress in a French theme.... Very sad in all honesty.

Rather than coming on a football forum and moaning about it, get up the school/complain to governors and do something positive.
  • Options
    http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/update/2014-04-23/kent-community-comes-together-on-st-georges-day/

Great report on the parade and celebrations for St Georges Day in Dartford yesterday.
  • Options

We had something similar during the 2006 World Cup when I was a University student. Friend of mine was asked to remove the England flag that was hanging outside his window as it may cause discomfort on a multinational campus.

Every other flag stayed up however.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Is the school in England ?
  • Options

Rather than coming on a football forum and moaning about it, get up the school/complain to governors and do something positive.
    Cheers for that. Firstly Its the non sport related section of the forum and trust me, I've been proactive with the school board

• Options
    Daggs said:

micks1950 said:

Happy SGD.
    I do wonder if Farange and the far right celebrate, considering St George was another bloody immigrant a Turk.

According to this he was a Greek born in Palestine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_George

But the point is well made - especially as St George never came to or had anything to do with England.

It wouldn't be St George's day without someone denigrating it. The whole St George wasn't English, being a popular method, despite it's irrelevence.
    Just surprised i haven't (yet) heard the other favourite 'the Cross of St George is racist' line.
    Strange how such accusations are never aimed at St Andrew, St David or St Patrick.
    Even stranger how some English are so full of self-loathing.
    Well, St David was a 6th century Welsh monk while St Patrick was a 5th century Welsh born priest who brought Christianity to Ireland - and so both had some real life connection with the two countries.

St Andrew was one of the apostles, and so had no real connection to Scotland - although apparently there is a Legend that a Greek monk was ordered in a vision to take a few relics of Andrew to the “ends of the earth” for safe keeping – and ended up in Scotland.

But then the Scots celebrate Burns Night (in honour of their national poet) far more than St Andrews day.

I just think it’s a little strange to celebrate a day dedicated to a middle-eastern saint who was virtually picked out of a hat (or crown) by a medieval king to become patron saint – but who had no connection to this country.

As April 23rd is also Shakespeare’s birthday - it would make more English sense to celebrate that (like our Scottish cousins with Burns Night). However, having taken the temperature on here, I ‘m not anticipating too many ‘Likes’.
  • Options
    http://whitedragonflagofengland.com/englands-patron-saint.php

For those of you interested in our history.
  • Options

http://whitedragonflagofengland.com/englands-patron-saint.php

For those of you interested in our history.

Sounds like a good excuse to have another celebration.