Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Happy St Georges Day

Comments

• Options

so, I take it that all the pubs have got English specials, have union jack flags flying & bunting all over the pub & have late licences like they do on St Patricks Day.........

No ?

Not every single pub no, but plenty do.

Miserable git. Sorry MOG.
  • Options
    So, on this great day, what are the things that make you feel a little emotional about our fair land?

- seeing the white cliffs of Dover
    - seeing the pictures of our squaddies abroad, wearing their football shirts
    - hearing "I vow to thee my country"
    - the way people come together in adversity
    - standing up for the underdog

and a zillion other things!
  • Options
    PL54 said:

so, I take it that all the pubs have got English specials, have union jack flags flying & bunting all over the pub & have late licences like they do on St Patricks Day.........

No ?

Not every single pub no, but plenty do.

Miserable git. Sorry MOG.
    Beat me too it, was just about to say that the whole "how come we celebrate St Patricks day but do nothing for St George's" is a bit out of date now and seems more like an excuse for a moan than actually based in reality.

Merry St George's day one and all.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

So, on this great day, what are the things that make you feel a little emotional about our fair land?

The sound of a spitfire at full chat flying over your head
  • Options

No ?

Wouldn't just The Cross of St George be more appropriate, seeing that it's not St. Andrew's day too
  • Options

No ?

Cross of St George you mean.
  • Options
    Happy SGD.
    I do wonder if Farange and the far right celebrate, considering St George was another bloody immigrant a Turk.
  • Options
    Happy St Georges Day one and all.

Especially you Johnny foreigners, you may have lost the lottery of life but you are welcome to celebrate the day of our national patron saint with us.
  • Options

Happy St Georges Day one and all.

Especially you Johnny foreigners, you may have lost the lottery of life but you are welcome to celebrate the day of our national patron saint with us.

like George himself (smiley wink)
  • Options
    Bloody hell. 5 minutes for a bite on CL... disgraceful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I always preferred Andrew Ridgeley.
  • Options

Happy SGD.
    I do wonder if Farange and the far right celebrate, considering St George was another bloody immigrant a Turk.

According to this he was a Greek born in Palestine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_George

But the point is well made - especially as St George never came to or had anything to do with England.

• Options
    micks1950 said:

Happy SGD.

But the point is well made - especially as St George never came to or had anything to do with England.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cappadocia
  • Options
    edited April 2014

micks1950 said:

Happy SGD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cappadocia
    Which only goes to prove what a lot of websites say about St George - that very little is known about him historically or even whether he actually existed.

I quite like some of the 10 ‘nuggets of information’ about St George on this webpage:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/04/22/st-georges-day-10-things-_n_3133515.html

Including:

St George Isn't Exclusively Ours...

He is also patron saint of: Beirut, Canada, Catalonia, Constantinople, Ethiopia, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Istanbul, Moscow, Portugal, Palestine, Venice, and a few others...

St George is also the patron saint against: Herpes, Leprosy, Plague, Skin diseases, Skin rashes, Syphilis....

St George is also venerated by by Muslims due to being identified with Al-Khidr who is also alleged to have killed a dragon.

• Options
    Happy St George's Day to you all, from an equally happy Irishman!

Cheers, Tel
  • Options
    micks1950 said:

Happy SGD.

zzzzzz

• Options
    Croydon said:

micks1950 said:

Happy SGD.

zzzzzz

That's told me.....
  • Options
    Hurrah Hurrah Hurrah! Enjoy the day.
  • Options
    micks1950 said:

Croydon said:

micks1950 said:

Happy SGD.

zzzzzz

That's told me.....
    Well every year the same people come out with remarks like "you do know he was Turkish don't you?" or "he never even set foot in this country."

Why bring it up? It's a day to celebrate England and everything that's great about this country. That's what matters

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Couldn't have put it better myself Croydon.

Some can't help themselves trying to get a bite though.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Scottish, English, Welsh and Irish kids having a chat. Irish kid says "Why are you three called Andrew, George and David?l. Scottish Kid says "well I was born on St Andrews day and George was born on St George's day and Dabid was born on St David's Day. So what about you Pancake?"

Sorry, I'll get my coat. HSGD.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

micks1950 said:

Croydon said:

micks1950 said:

Happy SGD.

zzzzzz

That's told me.....
    Well every year the same people come out with remarks like "you do know he was Turkish don't you?" or "he never even set foot in this country."

Why bring it up? It's a day to celebrate England and everything that's great about this country. That's what matters

The fact that he slayed a dragon surely means there's no need for all the intellectual showing off!

Happy St. George's day one and all. Ten years ago this day wouldn't have been celebrated half as well as it is now.
  • Options
    From Richard 2nd by William Shakespeare:

This royal throne of kings, this sceptred isle,
    This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,
    This other Eden, demi-paradise,
    This fortress built by Nature for herself
    Against infection and the hand of war,
    This happy breed of men, this little world,
    This precious stone set in the silver sea,
    Which serves it in the office of a wall
    Or as a moat defensive to a house,
    Against the envy of less happier lands,
    This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
  • Options
    It's a little known fact but tomorrow is `Don't mention Sheffield Wednesday day'
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Saveloy and chips.
  • Options

No ?

UNION JACKS !!!!! dope
  • Options
    micks1950 said:

Happy SGD.

It wouldn't be St George's day without someone denigrating it. The whole St George wasn't English, being a popular method, despite it's irrelevence.
    Just surprised i haven't (yet) heard the other favourite 'the Cross of St George is racist' line.
    Strange how such accusations are never aimed at St Andrew, St David or St Patrick.
    Even stranger how some English are so full of self-loathing.
  • Options
    dear dear zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz dont remember 1950 coming on here to slag off St Pats legend re geting rid of all the snakes in Paddy Ville---------and totally devastated to know St G was a Turk !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FFS you left wing tossers should really love him then an immigrant as a Saint !!!!!!! shame that your twisted boolx means you take the piss ----o dear that would be racism !!!

great day and evening celebrated by loads regardless of skin pigment
  • Options
    Daggs said:

micks1950 said:

Happy SGD.

It wouldn't be St George's day without someone denigrating it. The whole St George wasn't English, being a popular method, despite it's irrelevence.
    Just surprised i haven't (yet) heard the other favourite 'the Cross of St George is racist' line.
    Strange how such accusations are never aimed at St Andrew, St David or St Patrick.
    Even stranger how some English are so full of self-loathing.
    No one calls it racist
    When the daffodil's worn in Wales
    Or is offended by their dragon
    With its forked tail and scales

When St Patrick’s day comes round
    And the shamrock's being worn
    The Irish are not treated
    With insult or with scorn

If a Scotsman on St Andrew’s day
    Hoists his flag aloft
    He’s not proclaimed a fascist
    Or ridiculed or scoffed