Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mates son

was on Charltons midweek training sessions for four years or so.Not once in those four years did the club contact his parents on his progression,which to his parents and myself is quite frankly ignorance.

The beginning of this season he did not bother to report back to Charlton and played sunday football.

He has been picked up by a club who play in the SCEFL the old Kent League I believe,last sept. and has played every game since.

And yesterday he picked up Managers/Supporters and players player of the year awards(3)

Hes just turned 18 last month

Comments

• Options
    What SCEFL side?
  • Options
    Did they not ask about his progress?
  • Options
    Rather not say but will keep you posted on his progression.

Heard a supporter say the other week"he wont be here long"

I really hope he makes it,but really annoyed with our lots policy on this sort of thing.
  • Options
    Sounds strange seeing as there's usually management and parent meetings quarterly I believe ?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Did they not ask about his progress?

Who?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    @wrighty‌

what are 'midweek training sessions' ??

If he is doing stuff with the club when 16 or 17, that is impossible for him to have any proper involvement with the club on a completely non-formal basis (i would have thought). That just doesn't make sense for those ages as they are effectively scholars.

The 'Advanced Centres' only go up to U15 level, but they are run by the Community Trust, not the club, and around 1 in 5 go on to progress with the you academy ?.

You sure it wasn't something like that, and the end age has been exaggerated ?
  • Options
    Why does the club have to contact his parents?

Did the parents ever contact the club?

Did the club at any time say anything to the lad about his progress/lack of progress?

• Options
    iaitch said:

Why does the club have to contact his parents?
    To let them know how hes progressing.

Did the parents ever contact the club?
    Why should they

Did the club at any time say anything to the lad about his progress/lack of progress?
    No

• Options
    All I know is the lad was there about four years and was trained by our lot in the evening possibly on a weds.

@wrighty‌

what are 'midweek training sessions' ??

If he is doing stuff with the club when 16 or 17, that is impossible for him to have any proper involvement with the club on a completely non-formal basis (i would have thought). That just doesn't make sense for those ages as they are effectively scholars.

The 'Advanced Centres' only go up to U15 level, but they are run by the Community Trust, not the club, and around 1 in 5 go on to progress with the you academy ?.

You sure it wasn't something like that, and the end age has been exaggerated ?

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Sorry mate but it just doesn't sound right to me that's not the way our academy do things .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Surely the progress he's making is between the player and the club?

Does your employer tell your parents how you're doing?

You say why should the parents contact the club but reversely why should the club contact the parents?

Maybe he should have asked the club if he had a future?

How many of the hundreds of players discarded by clubs at youth/reserve level go on to make a name for themselves?

• Options
    you sure it was not the community side and not the academy as afka says the mid week evening training stops at u15
  • Options
    itsmyball said:

you sure it was not the community side and not the academy as afka says the mid week evening training stops at u15

i'm convinced its that. The Community Trust also do post-16 stuff.

• Options
    Probably left as the club didn't give his parents a new house and car...............
  • Options
    It's not the Academy, it sounds like the Community trust. It is exactly as AFKA says.
  • Options
    yes they do afka, but the untrained eye thinking a player is good is completely different to a trained one, the step up from sunday football to even non-league is massive ,
    they do know what they are doing. perhaps this is why there was no contact with the parents.
    I have just had one of my lads from my u/11 team go to the academy and the paperwork they had to fill out and information needed shows that there will be contact.
    I think as you and I have said its the community football side .
  • Options
    So, it's nothing really to do with the football club.
  • Options
    It may well be that,doesnt alter the fact that they had no progression reports,perhaps all clubs work like this?
    itsmyball said:

• Options
    wrighty if its the community side the don't do that . it is what it says its to do with the community and offering kids the opportunity to get off the streets. its a charity nothing to do with cafc academy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2014
    slightly aside, but up to a couple of years ago the Charlton Athletic Community FC were in the Haart Kent County Prem division, but i think have either folded or changed names since.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I feel this. I played in at least two 6-a-side games during two separate open days at Sparrows Lane in the late 80s. Still waiting for feedback.

Ask your folks, the club might have given them a call to update them on your progress.
  • Options

Not as bad as Brighton. I scored a penalty in the football game on the end of their pier. Never heard another dicky bird, just got fobbed off with a f***ing Nemo soft toy.

Only you could get a 'f***ing Nemo soft toy.'
  • Options
    any progress report on nemo to report dave
  • Options
    itsmyball said:

Scored a hat-trick yesterday i think?
  • Options
    itsmyball said:

There would be if we could bloody find him.