Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

End Of Season Permutations/Scenarios

WSSWSS
edited April 2014 in General Charlton
Feel free to add, I think I've got the first couple of them correct...

1.) Charlton cannot finish bottom of the league
2.) If Charlton beat Blackburn and Blackpool fail to beat Wigan away on April 26th - Charlton are safe

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2014
    3.) If Doncaster or Millwall lose on Saturday and we beat either Watford or Blackburn will will stay up before the last game.
  • Options
    I may be very wrong in this but even if we draw and Blackpool and Barnsley lose won't that make us safe on goal difference? (As long as Blackpool don't trample us 10-0)
  • Options
    No because if we drew our gd stays same -23 Blackpool lose say by one goal and they go -28

We would be three points clear with two games and Blackpool one game. If we lose 1-0 In our extra game our gd is -24. Blackpool beat us 3-0 they go above us.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

No because if we drew our gd stays same -23 Blackpool lose say by one goal and they go -28

We would be three points clear with two games and Blackpool one game. If we lose 1-0 In our extra game our gd is -24. Blackpool beat us 3-0 they go above us.

Party pooper !!

:-)
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Blackpool beat us 2-0 and go above us on goals scored if we are level on GD (I think)
  • Options
    This is what I think will happen. We will get 1 point from Blackburn and Watford, Blackpool will lose at Wigan, and regardless of what others are doing we will therefore be 3 points ahead of Blackpool with a bit better goal difference meaning we have to traipse up there for a horrible and stressful away day where we will probably I think actually avoid relegation but probably in a pitiful and fortunate way, e.g. we get hammered and leapfrogged by Blackpool but Doncaster lose so we manage to stay above them.

I would be jubilant if that horrible last day scenario could be avoided with enough in these next two games at the Valley.
  • Options
    Stand corrected.
  • Options
    If ifs and cans were pots and pans, the world would be a kitchen
  • Options
    Ur all pessimists we will win on sat and tues and can safely watch the millwall sweat it out!
  • Options
    I can't see us getting anything out of the Blackburn game, which makes the Watford match pivotal. If by next Tuesday Watford can't reach the playoffs then I reckon that will be 3 points for us, for this to happen it needs next Saturday

Watford not to win at Derby, but Derby are safe in 3rd and don't need any more points
    and
    Any of Nottingham Forest, Reading, Ipswich or Blackburn to win and their games are:
    B'mouth v Forest
    Donny v Reading
    Burnley v Ipswich
    CAFC v Blackburn

should that happen then if Blackpool don't win at Wigan we are safe, where Wigan are confirmed in the playoffs but can still improve their position, if Blackpool do win then it's all down to the last match
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    None of the teams in the playoffs want to finish the season with a defeat. Also they are, obviously, better teams as they are top six, opposed to bottom six. I think 'safely in the playoffs' doesn't make these teams easy to beat. If anything the removal of pressure will make them play with a freedom that could make them spank the relegation fodder.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Why are people saying we won't get anything from the Blackburn game?

Yes they are on form and it is a shame that they have an outside chance of a play off spot,but as well as beating Brum ,they only drew with Yeovil Friday.

By the time we play on Saturday, Reading and Brighton both play. This will potentially make their play off aspiration more difficult. Personally I fancy us for a point at least. On Saturday Watford will be out of it if they fail to beat Derby, so hopefully Tuesday will be a dead rubber for them.

I think there is a spirit in the camp which will see us home before Blackpool.
  • Options
    A different slant, with statistics;

This season to date, we have played 43 league games and accumulated 45 points (at 1.05 average points per game).

Under Chris Powell, the same stats are 30 games, 27 points (0.9 average points per game). 43 games at 0.9 would give us 38/39 points and be in the bottom two places in the league.

Under JR, same stats are; played 13, points 18 (1.38 average points per game) = 59/60 points over 43 games and we would be 12th in the league.

I am offering no comment; just thought the stats are interesting reading.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    If Charlton beat Blackburn OR Watford AND

Doncaster lose to Reading OR Leicester OR
    Millwall lose to QPR OR Bournemouth OR
    Blackpool fail to beat Wigan OR Charlton

then Charlton are safe.
  • Options
    Barnsley are 6 points behind us and cannot, realistically, overtake us. They'd need to beat both Boro away and QPR at home and score a hatful of goals. I can also see Doncaster losing to both Reading and Leicester so they will not overtake us either.
    It could be a case of job done with 45 points, but let's not rely on that. Blackburn present us with our only chance to take 6 points off a team this season. Let's do it!
  • Options
    Peter_G said:

Barnsley are 6 points behind us and cannot, realistically, overtake us. They'd need to beat both Boro away and QPR at home and score a hatful of goals. I can also see Doncaster losing to both Reading and Leicester so they will not overtake us either.
    It could be a case of job done with 45 points, but let's not rely on that. Blackburn present us with our only chance to take 6 points off a team this season. Let's do it!

If Barnsley win both their games and we lose all 3 games, then the goal difference advantage we have would probably have swung the other way. 3 defeats and the GD advantage over Doncaster will diminish too, so if we lose 4-0 to Blackburn, expect wrist slitting here on Saturday evening!
  • Options

Are you my Granny , DM ?

• Options
    If wishes were horses, beggars would ride; if turnips were watches, I would wear one by my side; and if IF's and AND's were pots and pans, there'd be no work for tinkers hands.
  • Options
    When you think that the 3rd from bottom team was relegated with 54 points last season and this year there are still 10 teams in with a shout of not getting to that total, it makes you realise what a poor league it has been this year in terms of overall competitiveness between the haves and the have nots.
    There is beginning to be a similar gulf now between the top and bottom of the Championship as there is in the Premier league and it is, of course, all to do with having money available to spend.
  • Options
    Charlton to draw this wkend...results go our way then Tuesday 29th, last home game, we win! PARTY...Jose finally gets his name sung by more than just the sheep fans and we crack on and worry about next season.
    Other than that its going to be a long afternoon on the 3rd May!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Watford will be the game that sees us safe to be honest. I can't see us beating Blackburn.
  • Options

I think Watford will be the game that sees us safe to be honest. I can't see us beating Blackburn.

They only managed a draw at Yeovil on Friday

• Options
    I think we wil be content with a draw against Blackburn - so it will be measured and not desperate which probably gives us a better chance of winning it.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride; if turnips were watches, I would wear one by my side; and if IF's and AND's were pots and pans, there'd be no work for tinkers hands.

leave the tinkers alone, Racist.
  • Options

Are you my Granny , DM ?

Granny Fanny? Sure I've heard of that website.
    It's Wayne Rooney's favourite.
  • Options
    Only one scenario. Millwall lose Saturday and we win along with Birmingham. Millwall lose last game to 90th minute Kermobgant goal and sweat on our result at Blackpool.
    90th minute Thuran fumble send Millwall down and 3000 Charlton supporters dressed in Orange celebrate wildly. The second great revolution.
  • Options
    Plus, if anyone thinks we're going down, you can get 20-1 so lump on.
  • Options
    Reading beat the fading Boro to go 6th. Their next game will hopefully see them win at Doncaster, which would also end Watford's chance of making the playoffs

Boro play Barnsley next, it wouldn't surprise me if Barnsley get a result there
  • Options

Reading beat the fading Boro to go 6th. Their next game will hopefully see them win at Doncaster, which would also end Watford's chance of making the playoffs

Boro play Barnsley next, it wouldn't surprise me if Barnsley get a result there

Doncaster's last game is at Leicester who won the Championship tonight. They may not be too up for the game if getting the trophy. I remember how we gave a naff performance and lost 1-3 at The Valley against Ipswich when we were being crowned Champions in 2000.