Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wilson and Solly

Is Riga not aware that probably our best game this season was when Wilson played in front off Solly. once again Solly starts and Wilson is dropped to the bench

Comments

• Options
    I've often thought Solly ahead of Wilson, or at least having them regularly interchanging, might work best
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I've often thought Solly ahead of Wilson, or at least having them regularly interchanging, might work best

Having them on the pitch at the same time for starters would be a good thing.
  • Options
    Is it not unreasonable to expect that an incoming manager would spend a bit of time reading past match reports and studying past line-ups from his squad. If he's done it, he must have missed December. Sort it out Jose.
  • Options
    Solly ahead of Wilson every time. Solly has always performed, natural right back. Wilson to be fair has played well at times, but not consistent. Solly is best right back outside prem.
  • Options
    Who played right side in front of Solly yesterday ?
  • Options
    I thought cousins was our tricky right winger....
  • Options

Stig said:

Is it not unreasonable to expect that an incoming manager would spend a bit of time reading past match reports and studying past line-ups from his squad. If he's done it, he must have missed December. Sort it out Jose.

Yeah sort it out Jose ! I mean we are winning 3-2 away at sheff Wednesday ! Sort it out Ffs riga out
    I mean we are losing at home to bottom of the table Barnsley....

• Options
    edited April 2014
    MrOneLung said:

Stig said:

Yeah sort it out Jose ! I mean we are winning 3-2 away at sheff Wednesday ! Sort it out Ffs riga out

Sorry .. Erm .. Are we down yet ? No.

Id much rather jose making the decisions i think then us

( EDIT WAS MENT TO SAY IN A JOKING WAY AND IT DIDNT COME ACROSS THAT WAY)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simonsen said:

Cousins to start with and then when we switched to 4-3-3 a combination of Cousins and Church. We looked better defensively with the 4-3-3 because it meant Poyet could stay deeper and pick up runners and block the space for their forward who liked to come deep to get the ball. Pretty much as soon as the switch started to take effect, Sheff Wed played a lot of long ball stuff and we didn't get caught out by it like we did at the start.

JR obviously wants Jackson on the pitch for his experience/leadership and also wants Cousins out there too because he's played almost every minute of Riga's reign. So probably 4-3-3 is the way to go as Church showed he can make a fist of playing wide right, allowing Harriot to play on his natural side. Wilson also showed that he was ok in 4-3-3 although I doubt whether he's played too much as an attacking winger before. But he's certainly got the natural fitness/drive to do a decent job there (like John Robinson did years ago).

Formations are the sort of thing that can only be properly worked on pre-season or in clear weeks without Tuesday games. Assuming the players get today off, at least we have three clear training days before Saturday. Luxury!!
    Thanks for that Simmo.

I do think all the personnel and line up changes must be hard for the players. 4- 3-3 which converts to 4-5-1 seems better for us right now especially as it means Harriot can play on his correct side. We've seen time and time again he's not half the player he can be when he's on the wrong side. Two assists not to be sneezed at.

Hard for Riga to get ideas over too with so little time and the team struggling anyway but I do think there has been too much tinkering.
  • Options

Simonsen said:

Cousins to start with and then when we switched to 4-3-3 a combination of Cousins and Church. We looked better defensively with the 4-3-3 because it meant Poyet could stay deeper and pick up runners and block the space for their forward who liked to come deep to get the ball. Pretty much as soon as the switch started to take effect, Sheff Wed played a lot of long ball stuff and we didn't get caught out by it like we did at the start.

JR obviously wants Jackson on the pitch for his experience/leadership and also wants Cousins out there too because he's played almost every minute of Riga's reign. So probably 4-3-3 is the way to go as Church showed he can make a fist of playing wide right, allowing Harriot to play on his natural side. Wilson also showed that he was ok in 4-3-3 although I doubt whether he's played too much as an attacking winger before. But he's certainly got the natural fitness/drive to do a decent job there (like John Robinson did years ago).

Formations are the sort of thing that can only be properly worked on pre-season or in clear weeks without Tuesday games. Assuming the players get today off, at least we have three clear training days before Saturday. Luxury!!
    Thanks for that Simmo.

I do think all the personnel and line up changes must be hard for the players. 4- 3-3 which converts to 4-5-1 seems better for us right now especially as it means Harriot can play on his correct side. We've seen time and time again he's not half the player he can be when he's on the wrong side. Two assists not to be sneezed at.

Hard for Riga to get ideas over too with so little time and the team struggling anyway but I do think there has been too much tinkering.
    I can see why you would make the argument there is too much tinkering, and I sort of agree, though in contrast I did think CP was being a bit too stubborn in not trying to change things. Swings and roundabouts, and no-one will ever know so it's speculation on my part I admit, but JR has earned a chance to tinker in my eyes.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Simonsen said:

Thanks for that Simmo.

I agree about the tinkering, but I also think that, due to his knowledge around the science of football etc., he is rotating to avoid fatigue. We have played many games in recent weeks and playing a few 'squad' players to allow the first eleven the odd rest might have less to do with the line up for that game than the rest to come. Including Barnsley, we'll have played six games in two and a half weeks.
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

Stig said:

Sorry .. Erm .. Are we down yet ? No.

Id much rather jose making the decisions then you deluded fans
    Sorry .. Erm .. Are we up yet ? No.

I like the bloke.

Just putting some perspective on your post - have posted elsewhere that I want him to manage us next season.
  • Options
    They remind me of when we had Jaime Stuart and Paul Sturgess. These were left sided players but Sturgess always did well in front of Stuart. He had similar haircut to Wilson too! haaha
  • Options
    Solly can't play back to back games due to his knee so I'm guessing they will rotate each week
  • Options
    Riga has squeezed mid table form out of a so called struggling, depleted, sub-standard* squad.
    The coaching team is the same as for the last few years with the addition of Fraeye so I feel sure they have discussed all of the issues of the day.
    Perhaps they are being cautious in case one or the other injured for there is clearly some form of rotation going on...and maybe it's about who looks good in training that week?

The good news is that we have Wilson and Solly (and Cousins, Harriot Wiggins, Piggott and Jackson) signed up for next season. Yes most but not all of a mid table team based on current form.
    So maybe this is as much about working out who else to sign up for next season and what are the gaps to be fixed over the summer.

*adjectives I recall used by some to describe our squad and excuse our season.
  • Options

Solly can't play back to back games due to his knee so I'm guessing they will rotate each week

Could a weeks rest now help with this though?
  • Options

No. Solly's knee swells up after he plays. So there's little chance of playing two games a week.

I believe he is having an operation in the summer, which may or may not help.
  • Options

No. Solly's knee swells up after he plays. So there's little chance of playing two games a week.

Cool. It is frustrating having to shift Wilson about every other game and using Solly sporadically but they are both more than capable right backs in this division.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Cool. It is frustrating having to shift Wilson about every other game and using Solly sporadically but they are both more than capable right backs in this division.
    At the risk of drawing in (probably deserved ;)) abuse - is that the case at the moment? I don't think Solly should be thrown in to a relegation battle so quickly during his recovery. He's absolutely capable, more so, and better than most in this league.. but right now?

It was his header against (Barnsley?) that fell to his oppo leading to a goal, and Wednesday's second did cast a few questions over his positioning. That's perfectly understandable considering how long he's been out, but is it worth throwing him in at the moment? After all - he needs fitness first, then confidence - we're potentially risking both of these at the moment.

I'm still happy to see him on the teamsheet, I didn't think I'd see that again. Let alone this season.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

At the risk of drawing in (probably deserved ;)) abuse - is that the case at the moment? I don't think Solly should be thrown in to a relegation battle so quickly during his recovery. He's absolutely capable, more so, and better than most in this league.. but right now?

It was his header against (Barnsley?) that fell to his oppo leading to a goal, and Wednesday's second did cast a few questions over his positioning. That's perfectly understandable considering how long he's been out, but is it worth throwing him in at the moment? After all - he needs fitness first, then confidence - we're potentially risking both of these at the moment.

I'm still happy to see him on the teamsheet, I didn't think I'd see that again. Let alone this season.
    He was also at fault for the third Brighton goal and I see your point. I'm not entirely sure I agree with Riga shifting the back four around every game either to be honest. Solly played well at Wednesday though by all accounts. I really hope Riga starts to leave the team alone now that we have a bit more of a breather between games. For example, I'd like to see him stick with Church and Sordell (never thought I'd say that!) with Harriott on the left who obviously has an understanding with Sordell.
  • Options
    He is probably alternating them, because Solly has a knee problem that needs an op & Wilson has a fractured eye socket.

So alternate them & don't push them too hard.
  • Options
    Surely in this day and age we can merge or fuse them like that machine in the Fly?