Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Honeymoon destination tips

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2014
    3,500... Butlins in Dorset
  • Options
    Langkawi, Malaysia...amazing place, beautiful sunsets, fantastic restaurants, great beaches. Elephant rides, waterfalls,loads other things to do. A quiet an idyllic island...recommend it highly. Check it out.
  • Options
    Literally just back from the Maldives and must say it did not disappoint one bit. Luxury all inclusive where I could do as much or as little as I wanted and we could be pampered or left to our own devices. Athuruga resort was where I was which may be outside the OP's original budget but there are so many resorts in the area that can accommodate that price range. Btw I am a scuba diver so if you and your wife are too then this area should be researched by yourselves.
  • Options
    Koh samui. But stay in north or South away from Chaweng. Easy enough to get around when you want a bit more lively.
  • Options
    One place I would like to go back to: http://www.olhuvelimaldives.com/

Snorkelling was magical and food/accommodation exceptional.

Can, but dream............
  • Options
    Looked into Maldives a few times but just seems too quiet. Not much nightlife for when you want to escape your resort.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Looked into Maldives a few times but just seems too quiet. Not much nightlife for when you want to escape your resort.

Very true.

• Options
    PeterGage said:

I have travelled to 73 different islands/countries,

Does that list incl. Sheppey, Canvey, Mersea and Wight? :-)
  • Options

Maldives - Bit of a journey but well worth it

Not much by way of excursions though unless it's a boat trip to another small island exactly the same as yours!
  • Options
    Trying to think inside your budget - The Seychelles Islands are magnificent with their differences - some coral, like Bird but the main ones are granite - unusual (unique?) for a mid-ocean archipelago. That's what gives them their beauty and in my opinion they have the best beaches in the world. But it might be just a touch too expensive. All the booze/food is imported apart from fruit, fish and barbecue fruit bat: so it costs.
    How about Cancun in Mexico? US-style/quality hotels, good beaches, and the Mayan sites for the excursions.
    Antigua has the old colonial sites incl Nelson's Dockyard plus one beach for every day of the year.
    Tobago used to be good being close to the South American coast. There was a day trip to a village in the Venezuela rain forest and it incl. flying over the "Lost World" plateau and the Angel Falls which are superb but maybe with Venezuela's political situation that's no longer viable?
    If you don't mind the flights, Hawaii might be doable. Plenty to see and do. Surf's Up!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2014
    cafcfan said:

Not much by way of excursions though unless it's a boat trip to another small island exactly the same as yours!
    This is very true. The snorkeling is an experience that will stay with you for a long time and you can take a speed boat out and race the dolphins but apart from that it's a real chill-out experience.

As others have mentioned, just back from Koh Samui in Thailand it's quite affordable (around £3k for 12 days for two) You don't have to book through Kuoini or Hayes and Jarvis, Letsgo2 done us exactly the same package £1k cheaper than Kuoini. Lovely, wonderful people too. Cheap to eat out too if you're on a budget, Two meals and a couple of drinks for £10.
  • Options
    You're right about not too much to do in the maldives but as a honeymoon chilling and pampering and isolation is fantastic. We did a few excursions to a local island a night fishing trip where the whole catch was bbqd at the beach party the next day and a desert island visit where you are left overnight all on your own (although h&s might have had a word by now)!
    Seaplane to the resort from male was an experience too
    We went to an island called Keredu where you could walk round the whole island in under an hour, wonderful experience and will look to go back in a few years time
    **Warning**
    You must like tuna curry though!
  • Options

Is this going to be another thread were people make loads of great suggestions and then the OP goes to Blackpool?
  • Options
    I'm getting married in Cyprus in less than 3 weeks time and we are having our honeymoon in Las Vegas with some of Los Angeles (mainly Disneyland) thrown in to break it up. We wanted something abit more livelier than just chillin on a beach having been to Cuba a few months ago. Plenty of good suggestions just depends what type of honeymoon your looking for.. and your budget. Whatever you choose I'm sure you'll have a great time.
  • Options
    I did a week in Maldives and 10 days in Sri Lanka. Maldives was beautiful and relaxing but a bit dull so good to get a bit of culture and wildlife.
  • Options

Is this going to be another thread were people make loads of great suggestions and then the OP goes to Blackpool?

Maybe, there is this woman in Lytham St Annes that I want to try and track down, sneak off and see.

Cheers for the suggestions everyone, will be checking them all out.
  • Options
    Maldives....... Stay away, feck all to do but swim, sunbathe, eat and drink all although we did have a game of table tennis. ;) You must have been on one of the bigger islands Creepy if took that long, 20 minutes around Meedhappru! It took us 3 days to adapt to doing nothing the first time we went there, the biggest decision you'll have to make is either to "eat or drink" we'll be there again in June for our third visit in four years, beautiful islands, stunning beaches and the snorkelling is fantastic, the local people help to make your holiday that bit more special, if it's a honeymoon/anniversary be sure to tell them before arrival. The seaplane journey to your island is certainly one not to be missed and although I won't fly air Sri Lanka again, my ar5e was numb before we'd left heathrows runway, Emirates or Virgin for us. It's a great place to relax and unwind with someone special........
  • Options
    Maldives...Rannalhi...walk from one end of the island to the other in 7 minutes. Cheap end of the Maldives price range, but staying on a water bungalow is amazing. So much aquatic life to see in the water without leaving the island. We are returning in August, direct flights, all inclusive, water bungalow for 11 nights is total of £5k. You can shave £1k off of that price by staying in a beach bungalow and flying indirect via Middle East or Colombo.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Maldives...Rannalhi...walk from one end of the island to the other in 7 minutes. Cheap end of the Maldives price range, but staying on a water bungalow is amazing. So much aquatic life to see in the water without leaving the island. We are returning in August, direct flights, all inclusive, water bungalow for 11 nights is total of £5k. You can shave £1k off of that price by staying in a beach bungalow and flying indirect via Middle East or Colombo.

Peter, where did you get direct flights from mate?
    We were told they've stopped all direct flights as and from two years ago....

• Options
    Stone said:

cafcfan said:

This is very true. The snorkeling is an experience that will stay with you for a long time and you can take a speed boat out and race the dolphins but apart from that it's a real chill-out experience.

As others have mentioned, just back from Koh Samui in Thailand it's quite affordable (around £3k for 12 days for two) You don't have to book through Kuoini or Hayes and Jarvis, Letsgo2 done us exactly the same package £1k cheaper than Kuoini. Lovely, wonderful people too. Cheap to eat out too if you're on a budget, Two meals and a couple of drinks for £10.
    Just do it yourself. Book flights then look around for hotel and book directly with them or via sawadee.com

You can look at all hotels and email them.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    T.C.E said:

PeterGage said:

Peter, where did you get direct flights from mate?
    We were told they've stopped all direct flights as and from two years ago....

There's a subtle difference between "direct" and "non-stop". I think some flights (Emirates?) go direct but stop en route. And BA go non-stop from LGW.
  • Options
    "Peter, where did you get direct flights from mate?
    We were told they've stopped all direct flights as and from two years ago...."

BA fly to Male twice per week direct (Sun and Weds, I think). They took over the route from Monarch about 2 years ago, who only flew their once pw (This will be my sixth holiday in Maldives over the last 8 years)
  • Options
    "There's a subtle difference between "direct" and "non-stop". I think some flights (Emirates?) go direct but stop en route. And BA go non-stop from LGW."

By international agreements, a foreign airline cannot fly direct from a British airport to a foreign one (there are some historical routes which do). Flying with Emirates, you have to change at Dubai (and wait some 5 hours) for an onward connection.

Some oddities to my general statement; you can fly Air India to New York from London, but that flight starts in Delhi. Equally we flew Sydney last year via Singapore with Singapore Airlines. The aircraft was the same for both legs, but we had to get off at Singapore whilst the aircraft was refuelled and cleaned. Hope this helps clarity.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

"There's a subtle difference between "direct" and "non-stop". I think some flights (Emirates?) go direct but stop en route. And BA go non-stop from LGW."

By international agreements, a foreign airline cannot fly direct from a British airport to a foreign one (there are some historical routes which do). Flying with Emirates, you have to change at Dubai (and wait some 5 hours) for an onward connection.

Some oddities to my general statement; you can fly Air India to New York from London, but that flight starts in Delhi. Equally we flew Sydney last year via Singapore with Singapore Airlines. The aircraft was the same for both legs, but we had to get off at Singapore whilst the aircraft was refuelled and cleaned. Hope this helps clarity.

That's true, I remember the protectionist Yanks kicking up a fuss about that a while ago. (I think some flights calling at two US cities could drop off passengers at the first destination but not pick up new ones).
    Bonkers.
    However, how come I'm travelling fron LGW direct to Kefelonia with Norwegian Air Shuttle? And then there's Ryan Air and Air Berlin which are both foreign airlines. Perhaps that's an example of an EU free-trade agreement?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    PeterGage said:

"Peter, where did you get direct flights from mate?
    We were told they've stopped all direct flights as and from two years ago...."

BA fly to Male twice per week direct (Sun and Weds, I think). They took over the route from Monarch about 2 years ago, who only flew their once pw (This will be my sixth holiday in Maldives over the last 8 years)

We flew direct to Male from Gatwick with BA 4 years ago. I think it was the first year they'd done it.
  • Options
    SHEFFIELD :-)
  • Options
    edited April 2014

I'm getting married in June, and looking at honeymoons at the moment - we're going away just after the wedding for a week in this country with our little un, and so we're looking to go away in 2015 just me and the Mrs (I think)

Looking for relaxing holiday in the sun, couple of excursions out type thing, all inclusive if possible, 2 weeks, about £3000-3500 I think.

Would be interested in people's recommendations to give us some ideas?

On that budget keep it as local as possible. 6 hours to Antigua - (St) James Club is nice.

Or Thailand (Indigo Pearl) is superb and right next to a beach with excellent dirt cheap food.
  • Options
    As long as you are out of hurricane season in the Caribbean (July to November)

Either Cuba (Split Havana and Varadero) or Riviera Maya (Grand Palladium is good value, 4 hotels in 1, so plenty of rerestaurant choices)
  • Options
    Clacton