Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Hughes for Church Sub

Couldn't believe it when I saw a 36 year old defensive midfielder come on for a striker when we desperately needed some quality to get a goal.
What kind of message does this send out to players like PP, Piggot and the rest of the strikers in/from our academy?

Comments

• Hughes is fucking brilliant. Any bloke who comes on to the pitch wearing winkle pickers is good enough for me.
  • I think it's more about the message it sends to that tosser Roly Poly. A 36 year old defensive midfielder who has played about 180 minutes for us all season is more likely to get us a goal than our best striker.
  • JR knew we wouldnt score so went for the next best thing. Sad but true.
  • ct_addick said:

to protect a possibly invaluable point?

This without doubt.. We're not at the stage now where throwing away a point whilst we go for three and ending up with none is an option.
  • ct_addick said:

to protect a possibly invaluable point?

He's clearly not up for Championship football and is a liability on the pitch, as he showed earlier in the season against Yeovil Away I think.
    That pass he attempted summed it up.
    He's a cracking bloke to have around the squad though don't get me wrong.

• We haven't got any quality to get a goal.
  • 0-0 at home with less than ten minutes left against a team with nothing to play for who were there for the taking. I love Hughesy but to bring him on for a forward in those circumstances is ridiculous. Dress it up or try to spin it as much as you like there's no excuse for that from Riga. We need to be bolder and win these home games or we are down.
  • Did we have another Forward player that could be bought on.. Petrucci maybe (I was having an argument in my head over bringing him on seeing his last performance was in another similar match against Reading), then you had Wood.. Nego.. Thuram as the others
  • Sponsored links:

• PP or Piggot should have been on the bench, as we didn't need all of Hughes/Nego & Wood on there.
  • Hughes should not be on the bench. Nor should Nego. Piggot and Harriot would have been better options.
  • JR was just settling for a valuable point at that stage. I question more the bringing on of Danny Green for AA after the shocker Cousin's was clearly having.
  • Upset me when the change was made, but on reflection Bolton were on top at the time and we needed shoring up to ensure what has turned out to be a valuable point.
  • I can understand the rationale to be fair and honest but if it had been Powell (or Curbs even) this site would be in absolute meltdown and Looky's hamsters would have heart attacks.
  • Upset me too at the time but, on reflection, now seems sensible to protect what ,ay prove to be a very, very important point.
  • He might be a japester around the place but I have barely recovered from witnessing Hughes' performances at Bournemouth and Yeovil.

The one shining light in this most trying of seasons has been the reduction in the aggregate age of our two central midfielders from 70 odd at Bournemouth to just over half that, via two of the best teenagers in the country.

As to the substitution, Riga clearly doesn't fancy Petrucci.
  • We should have had a pen - we didn't - Bolton were starting to look dangerous so Riga decided that the point was important - I took us above a Blackpool team who can't win and within a point of Doncster (with a game in hand). It wasn't ideal but I make Riga right in the circumstances. Church had an excellent game - should have won us a pen - not his fault ref was crap!
  • Sponsored links:

• Do we actually have a thread about a substitution being made... Oh I love charltonlife
  • Dave2l said:

If Powell made that substitution....charlton life - World War III

Atleast JR doesn't play Cousins on the wing......oh.......
  • dizzee said:

Do we actually have a thread about a substitution being made... Oh I love charltonlife

Well it is worthy of discussion - It was interesting in the context of the match - isn't this the sort of thing a forum should discuss/debate?
  • I think it's more about the message it sends to that tosser Roly Poly. A 36 year old defensive midfielder who has played about 180 minutes for us all season is more likely to get us a goal than our best striker.

Is this the same tosser whose own money (circa 14m) saved us from nailed on administration and a ten point deduction? The same tosser who is financing the training ground rebuild, the pitch revamp and the players wages?
    That's the fella!
  • When the board went up for this sub I forgot for a second that Powell had been sacked!
  • sam3110 said:

When the board went up for this sub I forgot for a second that Powell had been sacked!

I disagree - with a lot of his subs, when Powell made a sub and you thought "why the hell?", but this was obvious - Riga thought we wouldn't win and brought on a defensive sub to secure the draw.
  • Riga thinks we can stay up without scoring another goal all season. Looking at the fixtures he could be right!
  • Saga Lout said:

sam3110 said:

When the board went up for this sub I forgot for a second that Powell had been sacked!

I disagree - with a lot of his subs, when Powell made a sub and you thought "why the hell?", but this was obvious - Riga thought we wouldn't win and brought on a defensive sub to secure the draw.
    And everyone would've been totally happy with Powell making a defensive sub to secure the draw... Football fans are so fickle. Got nothing against Riga at all but this constant undercurrent that Riga has proven himself to be a superior manager to Powell is absolutely laughable.
  • Powell used to get dogs abuse for doing that when we were 1-0 up

But he did we wait till we were 1-0 up