Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sad Loss

Unfortunately my Grandad passed away late last night. Apart from being a cracking Grandad he was a life long Charlton fan, I have gone every season with him since I was 4 (now 32). We have seen quite a few highs over the years and more than enough lows.

Even yesterday when he was in immense pain he still found the time to ask about Charlton and how Tuesday night went. Its times like this that make you realise that the reason we support this club is for the life long memories and not for the glory.

Obviously I would love us to stay up, but even if we do go down, we will still have our club. What ever league we are in next season I know it will bring plenty of good and bad times.

Sadly for my Grandad he won't ever get the pleasure of watching us play again (yes it is pleasurable sometimes), so it does put things into perspective. You never know what season is your last, so try and enjoy every game. Its not all about the results.

COYR's

RIP Grandad

Comments

• Options
    Nice words. Thoughts with your family. RIP Grandad
  • Options
    Sincere condolences for your loss RR.

RIP Grandad.
  • Options
    Sad to hear it mate.
    I know exactly how you feel!!!.......I can remember going with my old grandad well and that was 40 odd years ago. Great memories though standing by the old floodlights pylon between the covered end and the old east terrace corner! That was his favourite spot, able to reach the old 'roasted peanuts man'. A ahhh good times!!

Sorry for your loss mate hopefully we can get a win for him tomorrow!
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss mate

RIP Grandad
  • Options
    Condolences to you and the rest of your family.

Thanks for sharing this.
  • Options
    Very sorry to learn of your loss.

RIP Grandad.
  • Options
    Best wishes to you and your family. Sounds like he has given you many good memories and remember he lives on in you and all yours.
  • Options
    So sorry for your loss mate, cherish the memories as they'll bring comfort in the near future as you come to terms with your Grandad's passing. I lost my dad just before Christmas and it still hurts like hell but I'm getting there, just as you will.

Take care x
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Keep strong mate. He will always be with you and other family members when following CAFC.
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss, R.

Earlier today I was trying to decide whether to inflict us on my 6 year-old tomorrow as he's in danger of going a bit Liverpool. And then I read your post and decided I have to bring him - those early memories of being little, tightly holding your Dad/Grandad's/Mum's/brother's hand at the match because the crowds are big and grown up and a bit scary are absolutely priceless. Hope when he's older he remembers going with me as fondly as you do with your Grandad.

May he rest in peace.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear of your loss robroy. May he rest in peace.

• Options
    Sorry for your loss rob, rip grandad x
  • Options
    RIP to your Grandad.
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss. Cherish the memories.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Great tribute Robroy.

Reading the messages above makes me proud to be a fan of this special club.

My sincere condolences.

RIP Grandad.
  • Options
    That was a great post and a lovely photo.

I must admit I thought the other day about what things I would really miss if I were to be banished to a desert island, or if I were to die, and seeing Charlton and knowing how they were doing/watching them play would be really high in that list.

I console myself with the idea that when I am dead, I will be able to watch every single Charlton game! Although in that case, I might have ended up in hell!

RIP to your Grandad mate.
  • Options
    RIP Grandad.

When you come to The Valley you will always think of him. My grandparents and father took me when I was young and are no longer with us.

I always remember and think of them in the run up to the match at The Valley though.
  • Options
    sorry for your loss ... RIP

Reminds me of when i lost my granddad. Huge charlton fan that got my dad and myself hooked on the club. Even until weeks before he left us, he had completely lost most his memory in nursing home and barely recognize us at the time ... but when we talked football and charlton athletic it was like he was back to himself again and we would talk about results and the whiskey in the directors box ...

thanks for sharing ... and im sure he will be greatly remembered and missed...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP, know what you are going through, hopefully 3 points tomorrow will be a fitting tribute.
  • Options
    RIP Grandad
  • Options
    Well said robroy. My condolences.
  • Options
    Thoughts are with you and your family at this difficult time mate!
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Best wishes mate.
    Think that everyone who has read and/or commented on this thread will be thinking of your Grandad at some time during the match tomorrow.
  • Options
    What a cracking picture, your grandad looks both proud and happy with his family. May he RIP and best wishes to you and your family robroy.
  • Options
    RIP Grandad
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss, RIP.

Great photo BTW.
  • Options
    RIP grandad, sorry for your loss, always remember the good times with your grandad, they are special people.