Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Car Tax

Does anyone know if/when they moved car tax over to insurance policies?

I heard they were doing this last year however I don't remember seeing anything on my policy when I renewed the insurance in January.
My tax disc is valid until the summer, just wondering if I should look to get it on my policy, whether it should be on the policy already, or whether I need to just renew the tax disc as per usual.

Cheers.

Comments

• None of what you say is happening.
    All that's being done away with is the actual bit of paper you stick in your windscreen.
    The tax is still payable direct to the DVLA.
    It doesn't happen until 1st October.
    https://gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes
    Daft headlines from the likes of the BBC "Tax Disc Abolished" didn't help with the clarity did it?
  • What hasn't got any publicity is that from that date any seller of a car will get an automatic refund of any unused portion of the tax and the buyer will have to get another 12 months. No transfer of the tax disc any more :-(
  • It's worth remembering your vehicle(s) must now be insured continuously. If it's taxed it must be insured whether you are using it or not.
    The only way to avoid 'continuous insurance' is to declare SORN.
  • I see with the new system of taxing your vehicle, they Govt has come up with a way to screw a few more millions out of drivers.

For those unaware of the new system, let me explain:

When you tax your vehicle now, that tax is for your use of that car and when you sell the car on, the tax is cancelled and you are refunded back what is left on it, leaving the new owner to buy tax for himself. Seems simple enough, but here's the big catch.

I taxed my car at the end of Febuary. Now, if I were to sell my car today, they will only refund every complete calender month back to me, meaning they've squeezed an extra couple of week out of me. Now the guy who buys the car from me has to tax it from the beginning of March, meaning they've also got an extra 2 weeks from him too.
    So everytime a car is sold (unless it's at the end of the month) the government will receive the equivalent of a month's worth of tax for that car. Think of how many second-hand cars are sold every month and you'll realise we're talking a fair whack of cash being generated for absolutely nothing. It's not as if they've got to spend on printing tax discs anymore either.

Bastard Tories.......................
  • sorry but that's always been the case, nothing new
  • I have always cashed in unused road tax if it had more than a month to run, when selling or part exchange. The same rules applied.
  • sorry but that's always been the case, nothing new

How has it? Yes, if you cashed in your tax for scrapping a vehicle for example then yes, you're right. But normally when you sell a car, you're selling it with the tax.