Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Get used to league one....again

Do yourself a favour and put football to one side and dont take it as seriously as you have been. The mentality of "will we stay up" has changed nearly every week, from saturday, to tuesday, but now, our last result is too much of a low blow. We are still 'in it', but, I just cant see it happeneing for us.

I also, in a way, dont think we are good enough to stay up which lessens the heartbreak for what I now believe is an inevitable outcome.

Our key players such as Jackson dont deserve the relegation cloud abover their heads as they have been great and have put in every effort possible and played for the shirt etc.

Im not actually throwing in the towel here, there are still games to play, but Millwall appear to be getting results here and there, and those other teams around us are getting the odd victory. We have picked up wins ourselves, but for me, what does it, is the performance away at Brighton that puts a giant R next to our name in the league table.

I have good memories of Rochdale away...sigh

Comments

• My hope is that there are 3 teams worse than us.

Yeovil have left too much to do.

Barnsley are crap, and although they beat us, i can't see them getting as lucky against other teams.

So its us, the scum, blackpool, doncaster for that last spot, with us having a game in hand.

Obviously it means nothing if we play like last night, but i still think we can do it. Just.
  • I know they say you make your own luck but Barnsley took luck to a new level last night
  • "Get used to league one....again"

"Im not actually throwing in the towel here"

Don't sound much like it !!

Rochdale pies were awesome.

As said a couple of weeks ago, the picture changes with every single game. Everyone is peed off with different factors individually contributing to that, but above all else that we didn't take advantage of what was a golden opportunity last night to make the picture look a lot more positive.

Doesn't mean that's it though.

• I know they say you make your own luck but Barnsley took luck to a new level last night

And yet they've still got to go to Derby and Middlesbrough and have QPR at home last game of the season they've only kept one clean sheet away from home all season and even though that was a 0-0 I still cant see them picking anything up there

They've Leeds next at home on Saturday which they might win.. but Leeds won against Blackpool after the takeover so could get the three points.
  • Think many are forgetting that being crap doesn't necessarily equal relegation.

Fortunately, only 3 teams can go down - and we're just outside of that bottom three (with a game in hand) for a reason.

We can't score, but to date we've shown we're slightly better than three others. Lets hope it lasts til the end of the season. And before anyone else says "NO, WE'RE GOING DOWN!!"......there are supporters of at least 3-4 other clubs saying EXACTLY the same.
  • I still think we will stay up and be safe by the time we go to Blackpool
  • I still think we will stay up and be safe by the time we go to Blackpool

Agreed... I'm always using the 4-0 win over West Ham when we were relegated.. It looked all rosy after that performance yet at the end of the day who went down and who stayed up, unfortunately we just dont have Carlos Tevez but doesnt mean everything cant change
  • I still think Blackpool will go at the expense of us and Millwall.

I'm just hoping its done before the last game because if its anything like Blackpool v Charlton 'winner stays up' I WILL have a heart attack at Bloomfield Road
  • My hope is that there are 3 teams worse than us.

Yeovil have left too much to do.

Barnsley are crap, and although they beat us, i can't see them getting as lucky against other teams.

So its us, the scum, blackpool, doncaster for that last spot, with us having a game in hand.

Obviously it means nothing if we play like last night, but i still think we can do it. Just.

My thoughts exactly! I'm still hopeful we'll be ok. Think it will go to the wire though.
  • Sponsored links:

• If you could guarantee we'd come back stronger, at the first attempt, it wouldn't be the end of the world...but if it means staying there for 3 seasons....

• We're not even in the relegation zone yet, far too pessimistic on here.
  • We will not win another game this season. The negativity rot has set in and Riga has neither the time or the understanding of the English championship mentality to turn this tide. He will get a little bit of money and 'thanks for trying' pat on the back and will be long gone before we start our new campaign in the wilderness.
  • I liked League One. You could stand on terraces at quite a few away games.
  • I don't think we'll go down, but if we do L1 next season looks quite weak. Sheff Utd will be strong if they don't go up via the playoffs, there will be the other 2 relegated teams and the likes of Posh and the O's, but if you look at the opposition we faced when we went down in 2009
    Norwich (who went up again the following season)
    Leeds
    Southampton (who had an administration deduction, but had a team including Lambert, Fonte and Lallana)
    Millwall under Jackett
    A very good Swindon team including Charlie Austin
    Plus the likes of Huddersfield and Brighton...

• Just looked at the table, its not that doom and gloom, but if your screwing up a 6pointer vs barnsley at home, for morale, its got a long term sting about it.
  • L1 might well be weaker than the last time we were there but we will be weaker than last time to especially if out of contract players walk.
  • L1 might well be weaker than the last time we were there but we will be weaker than last time to especially if out of contract players walk.

But then in our title winning season we had virtually a brand new team, Given a small amount of cash from RD it wouldn't be hard to build a very competitive squad with the youngsters remaining
  • Charlton Athletic will come good.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2014

If we go down I can see it being a complete disaster. Most of our players are out of contract, only the crap ones will not get contracts elsewhere.

RD obviously doesn't want to pay high wages as he wants to break even & players,agents & potential managers will see Charlton as a club in decline.

Really hope I am wrong but we need to face the facts, it will be a struggle whatever league we are in next season unless RD digs deep & pays above the odds to get players in, from what I have seen, don't hold your breath.

It wouldn't be a disaster , it wouldn't be as fun every week obviously but players still in contract
    Pope

Solly
    -
    -
    Wiggins

Wilson
    Cousins
    Jackson
    -
    Reza
    -

Is a core of a good team add to the some decent strikers and wingers along with and couple of great youth players we have it ain't all bad .
    And even players like church , green and Pritchard would be good in league 1 as seen when we was last there.

• Agreed... I'm always using the 4-0 win over West Ham when we were relegated.. It looked all rosy after that performance yet at the end of the day who went down and who stayed up, unfortunately we just dont have Carlos Tevez Alan Curbishley but doesnt mean everything cant change

• Did anyone ever think when Curbs left things would have got as bad as they have done?

A lot of big teams have gone down to league one (saints, Norwich, leeds etc) but they've all bounced back and stayed away. When I was a kid I thought of Charlton as a premiership team, but as I've got older I realised upper mid table championship might be our natural position, perhaps with a few pushes for the play-offs. I never thought we'd be a championship yo-yo club.
  • I never made it to Rochdale after two postponements (one when I was on the train), one night match (blocked due to the money I'd already spent on trying to get there) and the next season, typically, the fixture being too close to the birth of my daughter.

Therefore, I'm well up for it.

Apart from the other 40-odd games.
  • Croydon said:

Did anyone ever think when Curbs left things would have got as bad as they have done?

A lot of big teams have gone down to league one (saints, Norwich, leeds etc) but they've all bounced back and stayed away. When I was a kid I thought of Charlton as a premiership team, but as I've got older I realised upper mid table championship might be our natural position, perhaps with a few pushes for the play-offs. I never thought we'd be a championship yo-yo club.

Bad decision after bad decision
  • I never made it to Rochdale after two postponements (one when I was on the train), one night match (blocked due to the money I'd already spent on trying to get there) and the next season, typically, the fixture being too close to the birth of my daughter.

Therefore, I'm well up for it.

Apart from the other 40-odd games.

The only reason I hope we stay up is so that you don't get the opportunity to go to Rochdale :-)
  • After getting home last night, I, like most wanted to press 'the angry button' on the laptop as I felt cheated and thoroughly peed off at losing to a crap side like Barnsley.

Instead, I slept it off, went to work and now have a chance to reflect on what was. Retrospectively, I don't think we played that badly and do think that the game was there for the taking. We cannot finish. It's as simple as that. However I do agree with a lot of the posts about the other relegation rivals in that we are not the worst by a long chalk.

There is, I believe, more of a chance that the likes of Yeovil, Barnsey, Blackpool and Millwall will drop through the trap door given there final few games and crap record. And, like most, there was almost an expectancy in me last night that we would trash Barnsley which made the defeat that much harder to take.

The 'angry managers' that surround me were out in force last night and albeit Harriot had a mare of a game, none of our players deserve the abuse they were getting last night.

This is by no means a RTS opinion, and all we can do is support the boys till the last game. I do believe that we will survive the drop and build for a stronger squad in the summer. If we go down then so be it, but I for one will still be supporting the club and the team next season.
  • Please, I really don't want to go to Walsall again.
    Or be sent to Coventry.
    Or ask (with a snigger) the train ticket lady 'How much is it to Oldham?'

Or dejectedly peruse the concrete cow crap that is Milton Keynes.
  • The odds are still that we will survive but obviously yesterday was a big blow. So long as we beat Bolton on Friday I still like our chances.