Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Callum Harriott

Comments

• vffvff
    edited May 2014
    CH not good enough / experienced enough to play the inverted winger role yet. That can only work when the left midfield / wing position is stronger, that would allow CH to play the other side as well.
  • RedChaser said:

I would never blame Harriot for that miss at Sheff Utd. He was stretching and off balance. He was playing as a winger, yet managed to get himself in a great central position, just as he did against Sheff Weds, when he did put it away confidently. Indeed without Harriot, I don't think we would have won at Wednesday because he tore them to shreds and scored. I'd expect him to pull out of the occasional challenge, he's not the biggest and he's no good to us with a broken leg. Perhaps he can't play on the opposite wing and shouldn't be asked to do so. I don't recall Colin Powell ever playing on the left wing. He could put the ball on a sixpence with his right foot, the left was mainly for standing on and scoring wonder goals against Crystal Palace at Selhurst.

I think you mean CHs goals against Blackpool mate, Sordell scored all three v Sheff Weds, two good assists though from the left wing. Anyway regarding Colin Powell he was a natural right winger as you say and all the latter day 'inverted winger' theories didn't exist in the 70's. Wingers were played on their natural (preferred if two footed) side and on the left we would have had Peacock, Flanagan or later on Martin Robinson as far as I can remember.
    No, I was referring to the Sheff Weds cup game where CH terrorised them for 20 mins and scored our first goal.

• What is a purple patch? I mean what is the meaning behind it?
  • What is a purple patch? I mean what is the meaning behind it?

'Purple patches', which are also sometimes called 'purple passages' or 'purple prose', were originally a figurative reference to florid literary passages, added to a text for dramatic effect. They were the literary equivalent of adding a patch of purple material to an otherwise undecorated garment. Purple was chosen because, as well as being a distinctive colour, it was the colour reserved for emperors and other distinguished statesmen in imperial Rome. Most of the early references to 'purple patches' contain clear evidence of classical origins, many of them including Latin text.

The first person I can identify as having used 'purple patch' in print in English was no less an author than Elizabeth I. In 1598, Queen Elizabeth translated Horace's Latin text De Arte Poetica and this was published in 1899 as part of Queen Elizabeth's Englishings:
  • More league goals than Church ;)
  • This thread is bringing back memories of all the Lisbie debates. Two fast, exciting skillful young players who don't always make the right choices. Opinions seem to be completely polarised. Personally if I pay to go to watch a match I like to see players who can do things that can get me standing up out of my seat. Sometimes in frustration but often in excitement of a chance they have just created or scored. To me football is about trying to score goals and players like CH and Lisbie epitomise that.
  • Surely if we are having a debate about what you see then you have discuss what Calum does well and what he doesn't

Also what you want to see in your wingers

I believe in having one tricky winger like Harriott and one not so

However both should be able to swap sides at any given time during the game so offensively you offer up different alternatives

I coach that at under 13s giving the boys more confidence and making them feel more comfortable in doing things that are not so natural to them

My left and right wingers both score goals from either side of the pitch however my left winger is on 17 and my right on 10 this is because my left winger is more difficult to defend against due to him being a natural left footer

It is I agree not going to assist his game if I constantly stick him on the opposite side for full games and weeks at a time

But I could and he will do a decent job of it

To say a player can only play on one side or one postition shows a limited player

Jordan cousins who I rate highly as a cm spent his whole youth at RB yet can not play RM so has shown his limits and I now hold the opinion that he is good very good but has limits

Callum has only showed he can play one way in one place that is not good enough IMO for him to progress further in his career and will cost him

I want the best Callum Harriott at our club I want the best players we can afford at our club and if Callum can not be that player then I want us to find one
  • edited May 2014
    Dizzle said:

More league goals than Church ;)

Marvin Sordell was the only player to score more league goals than Callum this season!

Sordell 7
    Harriott 5
    Kermorgant 5
    Jackson 5

• Surely if we are having a debate about what you see then you have discuss what Calum does well and what he doesn't

Also what you want to see in your wingers

I believe in having one tricky winger like Harriott and one not so

However both should be able to swap sides at any given time during the game so offensively you offer up different alternatives

I coach that at under 13s giving the boys more confidence and making them feel more comfortable in doing things that are not so natural to them

My left and right wingers both score goals from either side of the pitch however my left winger is on 17 and my right on 10 this is because my left winger is more difficult to defend against due to him being a natural left footer

It is I agree not going to assist his game if I constantly stick him on the opposite side for full games and weeks at a time

But I could and he will do a decent job of it

To say a player can only play on one side or one postition shows a limited player

Jordan cousins who I rate highly as a cm spent his whole youth at RB yet can not play RM so has shown his limits and I now hold the opinion that he is good very good but has limits

Callum has only showed he can play one way in one place that is not good enough IMO for him to progress further in his career and will cost him

I want the best Callum Harriott at our club I want the best players we can afford at our club and if Callum can not be that player then I want us to find one

Callum is 20 years and 2 months. I don't think we can assume he won't progress further and I for one think he will.

What other 20 year old wingers who are already established and scoring goals in the championship are currently out there ?

• Sponsored links:

• edited May 2014
    What other "wingers" including the prem are consistently very good. Can play on both wings, can cross, have pace and can score?

Please can you list some names so we can compare
  • edited May 2014

RedChaser said:

I would never blame Harriot for that miss at Sheff Utd. He was stretching and off balance. He was playing as a winger, yet managed to get himself in a great central position, just as he did against Sheff Weds, when he did put it away confidently. Indeed without Harriot, I don't think we would have won at Wednesday because he tore them to shreds and scored. I'd expect him to pull out of the occasional challenge, he's not the biggest and he's no good to us with a broken leg. Perhaps he can't play on the opposite wing and shouldn't be asked to do so. I don't recall Colin Powell ever playing on the left wing. He could put the ball on a sixpence with his right foot, the left was mainly for standing on and scoring wonder goals against Crystal Palace at Selhurst.

I think you mean CHs goals against Blackpool mate, Sordell scored all three v Sheff Weds, two good assists though from the left wing. Anyway regarding Colin Powell he was a natural right winger as you say and all the latter day 'inverted winger' theories didn't exist in the 70's. Wingers were played on their natural (preferred if two footed) side and on the left we would have had Peacock, Flanagan or later on Martin Robinson as far as I can remember.
    No, I was referring to the Sheff Weds cup game where CH terrorised them for 20 mins and scored our first goal.

Ah! Ok @queensland_addick I should have remembered that because I was at that game and you're absolutely right their full back didn't know whether he was coming or going and CH smashed home a loose ball after a scramble on about 20 mins. He wasn't my favourite player after the Barnsley game but as many others have said he has made a significant end of season contribution in terms of goals and assists to aid our Championship survival. And to play devils advocate two of his three goals at Blackpool were scored cutting in from the right after he had switched to accommodate Obika on the left I presume so it can't be all bad.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Don't agree with the wingers need to be able to change wings. You don't see Ronaldo out on the right much or Robben on the Left. You play to your're strengths!!!! Although there obviously the opposite to Callum in the sense they play on the opposite side to there stronger foot. I feel Callum has played on his weaker wing a lot of the season due to Cameron Stewart being stronger on the Left.

What?!?!

Ronaldo constantly switched wings with Bale!

Do you watch many Madrid games?
    Yes and the fact that Di Maria plays on the right with one of them more central when they both play tells me you don't!!!

• Dazzler21 said:

Don't agree with the wingers need to be able to change wings. You don't see Ronaldo out on the right much or Robben on the Left. You play to your're strengths!!!! Although there obviously the opposite to Callum in the sense they play on the opposite side to there stronger foot. I feel Callum has played on his weaker wing a lot of the season due to Cameron Stewart being stronger on the Left.

What?!?!

Yes and the fact that Di Maria plays on the right with one of them more central when they both play tells me you don't!!!

Di maria has been playing centre mid this season a lot mate...
  • Dazzler21 said:

What?!?!

Not so sure about that haha
  • edited May 2014
    DeeBee said:

Dazzler21 said:

What?!?!

Not so sure about that haha
    not centre mid, central* and has played centre mid
    http://talksport.com/football/angel-di-maria-two-players-price-one-tottenham-14022180440
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2049699-rejuvenated-di-maria-key-to-real-madrid-success

"While Xabi Alonso and Luka Modric are both superb central midfielders, it is arguably di Maria who has had the biggest impact during Real’s fantastic season. The pace that had previously served him well on the wing has been crucial in the central areas."

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/88/spain/2014/04/23/4770118/the-angels-reincarnation-how-di-maria-has-rescued-his-madrid
    https://www.bsports.com/statsinsights/football/la-liga-column-athletic-club-v-real-madrid

been quality in centre mid...
  • edited May 2014
    RobBen tore Barca a new one playing on the left if I remember right. It's not unusual to try playing wingers on their "wrong" side, nor is it unusual for it to fail. Horses for courses.
  • I think what has been the most frustrating thing about CH is the fact he looks like he hasn't pushed on developing as a player as much as we expected.

Last season he was fearless, exciting, explosive, ran at players, shooting with power and accuracy and we were hoping he would keep improving with more game time. He hasn't.

The difference is this season the opposition now know about him and know that players trying to hack him down or bully him because he was a kid, doesn't work. So now CH is faced with players who don't commit and hold him up for so long that he doesn't really know what to do with the ball as his crossing is below average.

I agree fully he is a confidence player and Powell not playing him, for whatever reason, would have dented his confidence. Something which he never had to worry about last season as he was flying high on confidence and probably wasn't expecting to play as much in the first team.

But what will make CH a better player is if he improves mentally. Strength, pace and determination obviously make a good athlete but an intelligent player can be more damaging. As some have said before, at youth level he would run down the empty flanks and not know what to do, something he can still be guilty of. Whoever turns out to be our manager would do well to focus on maturing CH's tactics in a game and how to contain his emotions when playing. If they can do that, consistency will be better and so will the player.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think we should all get off the lads back. He is another one of our academy players that have made the first team. Yes he's had some poor games, but come on fellas he's also played in a very poor team, a very turbulent season on & off the pitch. The way he finished the season surely must have impressed his critics. I think it was nothing short of amazing that we survived with the likes of CH, JC, DP playing as much as they did. Hopefully the very tough season these lads have had will stand them in very good stead. I'm sure they will be the 'muts nuts' come next season!!
    COYR
  • edited May 2014
    No one has on here wrote him off SJH they are using a forum to say I personally don't think he will live up to his potential

If next season he has displayed the ability to do so then the same people will say I got that wrong fair play to him

But if anyone thinks that a true winger that Harriott is , ( not a right or left sided midfielder There is a definite difference ) should not be being coached and encouraged to swap sides and develop that area and to add that to his game due to him only being 20 then they are wrong

It is a fundamental in coaching to develop an assist your players in growing and learning new skills

If you are the manager of championship club with any ambitions on progressing from champ to prem then you need to have players that can grow game on game

What was harriotts average points score this season I would suggest about 5.5 to 6.5 without looking

Now players with that level of points will be good enough to survive but if we can get enough players to score 6.5 to 7.5 we should make play offs

If we can get players averaging 7.5 to 8.5 then promotion could happen

For Callum to score that level of points then something has to change in his game as he is currently way below that level

He done fantastic in the last 2 games but if we took them away and looked at his season up to that point how many could actually say he has had a great season

No one that's how many

Now out of all our youth that has come through

Solly
    Poyet
    Cousins
    Harriott

Who upto this season would you have kept and who would you have let go

solly has demonstrated since coming through just how good and important he is

Poyet enough said the most grown up entrance to league football a youngster has made at this club and a wonderful baller

Cousins started the season on fire a breath of fresh air Ny other season where Poyet hadn't come through cousins would've shone more, suffered by being moved accommodate others
    and made look worse than he should've

Harriott although in the last two games has done really well he has not taken the opportunity nor shown enough IMO for us to not review our options in that position
  • I believe CH will continue to develop well, as long as he is coached well and the fans get behind him.

His position is World renowned for inconsistency, unless you are in the top say 10 wingers in the World, but none of those are 20 years of age e.g. Ribery, Robben, Ronaldo, Di Maria, Hulk etc.

I think CH continues to show lots of promise and should not compromise his will to beat his man through fear if losing the ball - that's going to happen 50%+ of the time for now. Where the hard graft will need to continue is his crossing quality in my opinion. Shooting seems to have come on....

England have never managed to produce a consistent left winger, Barnes had his moments. Let's see how CH goes over the next 6 years. I think he will turn out a lot more special than we could envisage. Hope we have the patience and don't continue to expect too much too soon. Game time, coaching and support will lead to more great things next season in my humble opinion.
  • I'd much rather Callum concentrated on being a master of one trade, than a jack of all. Great left wingers are as rare as hens teeth. Let's allow the lad to concentrate on building up consistency in his best and most natural position before we start screwing with his mind by moving him into unfamiliar positions.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

shine166 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

I fear that he's earned himself a new contract, and next year we will get another 40-odd games of dross.

cut the bloke some slack, he's only 20 years old, were you good and consistent at anything when you were that age?

I do wonder if people realise what they were like at 19, while lambasting...
    You class that as lambasting? Really? I don't dislike the kid. I respect his effort. I hope he has a long and fruitful career, and comparing myself to him at 19 is just stupid.

I think he's consistently been very, very poor this season. He's in the team because of our desperate need for numbers, not especially by merit.

That said it's great that he's had an excellent finish, but I'd rather we were not in a position to have him do that again next season, or the season after. Five in two does not suddenly make him a worthy, capable winger, and I didn't seen anywhere near enough potential to assume he's going to become a mainstay.

I haven't booed him, havent vocalised my feelings in public, and made minimal comments on this board. But I have every right to say that I would rather not gamble our league place based on two good performances in 46 games.

No I was just making a point about the people booing a few weeks ago
  • edited May 2014

I'd much rather Callum concentrated on being a master of one trade, than a jack of all. Great left wingers are as rare as hens teeth. Let's allow the lad to concentrate on building up consistency in his best and most natural position before we start screwing with his mind by moving him into unfamiliar positions.

Agree. The odd 20 minutes in a game moving to the right is fine (he scored 1 or 2 of his goals at Blackpool from there didn't he), but let's give him more games on the left where he's more likely to perform and develop.

If we're playing Wilson or another midfielder (rather than an out and out winger) on the right it's not really an option to swap them. We wouldn't play Wilson on the left or Jackson on the right would we?

If wingers can swap that's great, if Harriott's going be a Prem player he probably does need that in his game. But if we're asking him to show he can be a solid Champ player first it's not vital that he can do that. Longer term it could suit him as he's got a far better shot than he has cross, but at the moment he's 20 years old, been in the first team for little more than a year and is clearly far more comfortable on the left wing.

To me it's a bit like the suggestion 3 years ago that at 6 ft Morrison wasn't going to be tall enough for us at CB in League 1. Players are different and even with certain weaknesses they find ways to cope.

What I think would help him is having some proper competition for his place, and playing alongside better players. Creating more chances and better chances could only help him.
  • This is callums 2nd season and really only his first full season. i said earlier in the year that many young players have 2nd season syndrome where they are found out, I believe that Michael Owen had a tough 2nd season. Callum has had to contend with this natural situation, becoming a dad and playing in a side that was very poor. He has a longish term contract and his challenge now as is the coaching staffs, is to kick on and make the step up. NLA does not think he will, others do. If he wants to be more than a 3rd tier player (which is where he will drop to) then he has a lot of hard thinking and work to do over the summer and he needs the help of the coaches.

he should look at Kyle Reid who started at Prem level and with successive transfers slipped down to the 4th tier before gaining promotion to the third tier with Bradford.
  • And that's how easy it is and how difficult the transition is kap

Kyle Reid is a great example Lloyd Sam is another

There is a fine line between being a winger with potential than to actually deliver

Where as a centre half a centre mid could potentially have half the skill or potential as Harriott and have a long successful career at the top table due to getting through on energy and aggression alone

Where CH if he doesn't work really hard at his game this season and the coaching staff will fall away quicker than most

It's the position that dictates the fall not just the ability of the player

• How's that humble pie
  • No one has on here wrote him off SJH they are using a forum to say I personally don't think he will live up to his potential

If next season he has displayed the ability to do so then the same people will say I got that wrong fair play to him

But if anyone thinks that a true winger that Harriott is , ( not a right or left sided midfielder There is a definite difference ) should not be being coached and encouraged to swap sides and develop that area and to add that to his game due to him only being 20 then they are wrong

It is a fundamental in coaching to develop an assist your players in growing and learning new skills

If you are the manager of championship club with any ambitions on progressing from champ to prem then you need to have players that can grow game on game

What was harriotts average points score this season I would suggest about 5.5 to 6.5 without looking

Now players with that level of points will be good enough to survive but if we can get enough players to score 6.5 to 7.5 we should make play offs

If we can get players averaging 7.5 to 8.5 then promotion could happen

For Callum to score that level of points then something has to change in his game as he is currently way below that level

He done fantastic in the last 2 games but if we took them away and looked at his season up to that point how many could actually say he has had a great season

No one that's how many

Now out of all our youth that has come through

Solly
    Poyet
    Cousins
    Harriott

Who upto this season would you have kept and who would you have let go

solly has demonstrated since coming through just how good and important he is

Poyet enough said the most grown up entrance to league football a youngster has made at this club and a wonderful baller

Cousins started the season on fire a breath of fresh air Ny other season where Poyet hadn't come through cousins would've shone more, suffered by being moved accommodate others
    and made look worse than he should've

Harriott although in the last two games has done really well he has not taken the opportunity nor shown enough IMO for us to not review our options in that position

I think a number of people have written him off on here.

Of course there is a distinct difference between a left midfielder and a left winger. Jackson and Wilson are left and right midfielders whereas Harriott and Green are wingers.

I agree wholeheartedly that players should be encouraged to try and learn new roles and positions. But that doesn't happen over night and I think trying it when we were fighting a relegation battle was a poor time to try it.

You could almost picture the scene of JR giving CH the good news that he was starting and then the deflation of being told it was on his unfavoured side. First mistake, the fans are on his back. Confidence goes, as does a willingness to do what you are in the team to do...run at players and get crosses in.

During a game I have no issue with wingers swapping sides for a bit. Change it up and give the full backs something to worry about.

Wingers are a bit like goalkeepers in that they have a fairly specific job to do that nobody else in the team can do. Therefore when a mistake is made it stands out. The goalkeeper who misses a cross, even if it is only once in a game. The winger who takes his man on and gets tackled. Highlighted and remembered.

Re the player marks I think that wingers tend to get very high scores or very low scores. They have either a good game or a bad game. Therefore the consistency we ask for is to beat your man pretty much every time you take him on. To not do so is failure.

His potential is in his pace and skill. His finishing is decent too, particularly from range.

Twenty is no age, he should be given the time and support to develop.