Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Callum Harriott

Comments

• Options
    mrbligh said:

so....

i've gone to the pub and ordered myself a nice pint of thatchers vintage but it doesn't taste quite right,

the next few visits to the pub are met with a loverly pint of thatchers vintage that taste quite magninficent,

do i then go home and worry that my pint may not be quite right next time?

no i do not!

i get stuck into a nice pizza and enjoy the wonderous fuzzy feeling that a good pint of thatchers vintage gives you

Better get back to the pub Mr Bligh , and see if that warm fuzzy feeling comes back! :-0

• Options
    Croydon said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Croydon said:

20 years old, 5 goals in 2 games to help secure our Championship safety and still half of you want to slag him off. What a ridiculous place this is at times

A forum for discussion where people (some of whom rarely, if ever slag off players) wish to challenge the views of others (and have their own views challenged), yet are met with simplistic and generalised responses that bring little, if anything to the table. What a ridiculous place this is sometimes etc.
    pat yourself on the back for that sarcy response.

I don't see you challenging views, rather just pushing across your own view of CH(of course that is what a forum is for). If you don't rate him the fair enough, I just find it odd that less than a day after an academy lad scores a hat-trick for the club, people like yourself are there to dig him out for poor appearances over the season. Who hasn't been poor this season?

We were in a relegation battle because the whole squad has been pretty woeful at times, not because Callum has had a few bad games. And in my opinion anyone who thinks we lost to Sheff United because of his miss, and not because the entire team failed to turn up, is a f*cking idiot.

For a start, you're initial post offered nothing beyond being dismissive, so not only is it a bit rich to to give me stick for daring to offer an opinion on a forum (let alone assume I'm too close minded to pay attention to the responses), you shouldn't expect much more than sarcasm back.

Secondly, I don't believe I've been 'digging him out' at all. I think you've been remarkably simplistic to state that. I've questioned the likelihood of him maintaining such form, in relation to the end of this season, a point at which the club will be considering many players' futures, and to not be blinded by recent memory.

Conversely, I think it's rather close minded to assume one should only discuss the merits of a player because he's had a good game. I don't know why you're so sensitive about that, regardless of whether he came through the academy or not. Blind support is romantic, but not particularly practical.

Thirdly, I've not referred to Sheffield United once on this site. Ever. It's a bit harsh to throw phrases like 'fucking idiot' around in that context.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Croydon said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Croydon said:

20 years old, 5 goals in 2 games to help secure our Championship safety and still half of you want to slag him off. What a ridiculous place this is at times

A forum for discussion where people (some of whom rarely, if ever slag off players) wish to challenge the views of others (and have their own views challenged), yet are met with simplistic and generalised responses that bring little, if anything to the table. What a ridiculous place this is sometimes etc.
    pat yourself on the back for that sarcy response.

I don't see you challenging views, rather just pushing across your own view of CH(of course that is what a forum is for). If you don't rate him the fair enough, I just find it odd that less than a day after an academy lad scores a hat-trick for the club, people like yourself are there to dig him out for poor appearances over the season. Who hasn't been poor this season?

We were in a relegation battle because the whole squad has been pretty woeful at times, not because Callum has had a few bad games. And in my opinion anyone who thinks we lost to Sheff United because of his miss, and not because the entire team failed to turn up, is a f*cking idiot.

For a start, you're initial post offered nothing beyond being dismissive, so not only is it a bit rich to to give me stick for daring to offer an opinion on a forum (let alone assume I'm too close minded to pay attention to the responses), you shouldn't expect much more than sarcasm back.

Secondly, I don't believe I've been 'digging him out' at all. I think you've been remarkably simplistic to state that. I've questioned the likelihood of him maintaining such form, in relation to the end of this season, a point at which the club will be considering many players' futures, and to not be blinded by recent memory.

Conversely, I think it's rather close minded to assume one should only discuss the merits of a player because he's had a good game. I don't know why you're so sensitive about that, regardless of whether he came through the academy or not. Blind support is romantic, but not particularly practical.

Thirdly, I've not referred to Sheffield United once on this site. Ever. It's a bit harsh to throw phrases like 'fucking idiot' around in that context.
    What would you put his form for the last 14 games of 12/13 down to?? Which as our only ball carrier helped us finish the season with the best form in the league.
  • Options
    I don't like his attitude when played out of position. I don't like his 'crosses' and I definitely don't like his first touch.

Finishing and pace however are good.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    JiMMy 85 said:

I fear that he's earned himself a new contract, and next year we will get another 40-odd games of dross.

JiMMy 85 said:

shine166 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

I fear that he's earned himself a new contract, and next year we will get another 40-odd games of dross.

cut the bloke some slack, he's only 20 years old, were you good and consistent at anything when you were that age?

I do wonder if people realise what they were like at 19, while lambasting...
    I think he's consistently been very, very poor this season. He's in the team because of our desperate need for numbers, not especially by merit.

JiMMy 85 said:

1StevieG said:

JiMMy 85 said:

shine166 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

cut the bloke some slack, he's only 20 years old, were you good and consistent at anything when you were that age?

He's in the team because of our desperate need for numbers, not especially by merit.

Harriott set up 2 for Sordell against Chef Wednesday if memory serves me right?
    So that's three good games...

nah not digging him out at all mate!

• Options
    The problem with half of Jimmy's argument is that CH has a contract beyond this season anyway....
  • Options

The problem with half of Jimmy's argument is that CH has a contract beyond this season anyway....

I did think he was out of contract, but that as corrected ages ago, and doesn't actually change any of my points.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

shine166 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

I think he's consistently been very, very poor this season. He's in the team because of our desperate need for numbers, not especially by merit.

JiMMy 85 said:

1StevieG said:

JiMMy 85 said:

shine166 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

He's in the team because of our desperate need for numbers, not especially by merit.

Fair enough, it does look that way, although not intended as 'digging out', as much as trying to avoid the rose-tinted specs that I feel many are wearing.

You could go find the quote where I said "I want him to succeed/ hope I'm wrong/ he's had an excellent finish" for balance, if you haven't found something else to do today yet!
  • Options

Some totally shameful comments on this thread. The guy has just had the best two weeks of his career & has played a pivotal role in saving us from relegation: 2 goals set up for Sordell at Sheffield Wednesday, 2 goals to win the game at home to Watford & a hat-trick yesterday to win another 3 points. And some people decide that now is the time to dig him out. I despair, I really do.

Again, massively simplistic. Shameful? get over yourself. It really does seem that you guys will only allow positive commenting here, even if the criticism is (at least intended to be) constructive. So I retire from the thread and leave you to the love-in!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Some totally shameful comments on this thread. The guy has just had the best two weeks of his career & has played a pivotal role in saving us from relegation: 2 goals set up for Sordell at Sheffield Wednesday, 2 goals to win the game at home to Watford & a hat-trick yesterday to win another 3 points. And some people decide that now is the time to dig him out. I despair, I really do.

Again, massively simplistic. Shameful? get over yourself. It really does seem that you guys will only allow positive commenting here, even if the criticism is (at least intended to be) constructive. So I retire from the thread and leave you to the love-in!
    JiMMy 85 - I personally think your posts are a load of old cobblers, but I appreciate that that's your opinion and it's different from mine. Inversely, I could post my views and you could come back and say the same to me. So don't retire from the thread, and feck anyone who has an issue with what you're posting ;)

Variety is the spice of life as they say, and opinions are quite possibly the finest source of variety as far as I'm concerned. Especially with regards to football, I like to see different views of the game and specifically the players.

Sometimes I think it's sad that, quite often on here, people are far too aggressive when trying to get their point across.
  • Options
    Jimmy.....i think you need to go to the pub...

or put in a less simplistic way...

would you like to accompany me on a gentle stroll down a paved street taking in all of the sights and sounds as we wander and ponder whether the glass filled with fermented apple will indeed be hitting the dizzy heights of perfection one has once experienced?
  • Options
    What are people saying that any winger should be able to swap sides? The one thing that differentiates a winger from other positions is that they need to be able to cross a ball. When you cross a ball it will typically change direction by about 70°. Because of this massive change in direction it will always be done with the outside foot. Just because someone can do this with one foot does not mean that they can do it with another. There is absolutely no reason to expect ambidexterity in wingers and a good deal of reason to expect it to be more difficult than in other positions where the change in direction of the ball is less pronounced.
  • Options
    It's better to pass judgement on someone when your saying well done for today and this week but you don't do it enough to be honest you have shown you can but you need to do more or you will end up on the pile of shit wingers that cafc have had

All decent wingers can switch sides when requested

And yes Calum was to very much culpable in the sheff utd debarcle

The squad was shit they never turned up but his miss and his cowardly challenge on the half way line was the catlalist for the collapse
  • Options
    Don't agree with the wingers need to be able to change wings. You don't see Ronaldo out on the right much or Robben on the Left. You play to your're strengths!!!! Although there obviously the opposite to Callum in the sense they play on the opposite side to there stronger foot. I feel Callum has played on his weaker wing a lot of the season due to Cameron Stewart being stronger on the Left.
  • Options
    i don't think beckham, giggs or overmars ever played on the 'opposite' side,

they are three of the best wingers ever to play in the premier league
  • Options
    Ronaldo during games and robben both swap sides not for lengthy durations but they swap

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Croydon said:

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

shine166 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

1StevieG said:

JiMMy 85 said:

shine166 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Fair enough, it does look that way, although not intended as 'digging out', as much as trying to avoid the rose-tinted specs that I feel many are wearing.

You could go find the quote where I said "I want him to succeed/ hope I'm wrong/ he's had an excellent finish" for balance, if you haven't found something else to do today yet!
    I don't have anything else to do....but you're right, probably time to move on.

Enjoy your bank holiday, I'm sure we'll get a chance to continue this next season!

• Options
    Giggs swapped sides in games as did over mars and beckham

All wingers swap during games they do it to piss off the defenders and try something different

That's what good wingers do they may only swap sides twice in a game but they will do it

Callum can do it also he has the ability to do it

He needs to start showing the consistency that is what is being asked that's all
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I don't like his attitude when played out of position. I don't like his 'crosses' and I definitely don't like his first touch.

Finishing and pace however are good.

That's unfair. He kept trying against Barnsley even though he was having a shocker and the crowd were on his back. I think he's too left-footed to play on the right.....there's really no danger of him going on the outside and whipping in a cross with his right foot, which makes him too predictable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whether people like him or not(I do), he adds a dimension to our game that has been lacking for a while. He is direct, he takes people on. He will make mistakes but I believe he has a good future in the game.
    Wiggins and him on the left, Solly and Wilson on the right. With these pairings making thirty games next season we would not be the lowest scorers in the entire league.
  • Options

He is low on confidence at the moment.

He has had a few shockers this season, but last night as soon as he switched to the left he started looking a bit dangerous (then Jose took him off).

He does have a lot to offer in terms of attacking play, but is not at his best at the moment.

He'll come good.

Next week's lottery numbers, please?
  • Options

Giggs swapped sides in games as did over mars and beckham

All wingers swap during games they do it to piss off the defenders and try something different

That's what good wingers do they may only swap sides twice in a game but they will do it

Callum can do it also he has the ability to do it

He needs to start showing the consistency that is what is being asked that's all

Yes but Callum this season has played more on the right than on the left this season, I'm not talking about a few times in games. Can you imagine Beckham nearly having the same impact if he was on the ;left for most of his first full season in professional football.
  • Options
    I thought Harriott was one of the better players v Sheffield United. Peacock used to pull out of robust challenges, it wasn't his thing. Anybody can miss a chance. He has played most of his career on the left side, he needs more practice on the right. I still think that Callum will prove to be a good player for us.
  • Options
    I would never blame Harriot for that miss at Sheff Utd. He was stretching and off balance. He was playing as a winger, yet managed to get himself in a great central position, just as he did against Sheff Weds, when he did put it away confidently. Indeed without Harriot, I don't think we would have won at Wednesday because he tore them to shreds and scored. I'd expect him to pull out of the occasional challenge, he's not the biggest and he's no good to us with a broken leg. Perhaps he can't play on the opposite wing and shouldn't be asked to do so. I don't recall Colin Powell ever playing on the left wing. He could put the ball on a sixpence with his right foot, the left was mainly for standing on and scoring wonder goals against Crystal Palace at Selhurst.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

I would never blame Harriot for that miss at Sheff Utd. He was stretching and off balance. He was playing as a winger, yet managed to get himself in a great central position, just as he did against Sheff Weds, when he did put it away confidently. Indeed without Harriot, I don't think we would have won at Wednesday because he tore them to shreds and scored. I'd expect him to pull out of the occasional challenge, he's not the biggest and he's no good to us with a broken leg. Perhaps he can't play on the opposite wing and shouldn't be asked to do so. I don't recall Colin Powell ever playing on the left wing. He could put the ball on a sixpence with his right foot, the left was mainly for standing on and scoring wonder goals against Crystal Palace at Selhurst.

I think you mean CHs goals against Blackpool mate, Sordell scored all three v Sheff Weds, two good assists though from the left wing. Anyway regarding Colin Powell he was a natural right winger as you say and all the latter day 'inverted winger' theories didn't exist in the 70's. Wingers were played on their natural (preferred if two footed) side and on the left we would have had Peacock, Flanagan or later on Martin Robinson as far as I can remember.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited May 2014
    CH Works best when the right side of the Charlton team is solid as it allows the defence to keep an eye on the left side, which is defensively weaker when Callum Harriotts is in the team, as his focus is attack and not defence. Not that Callum does not do defence, it is just that is not his strength. When Solly and Wilson play the right side of Charlton is rock solid, It is not a surprise that Callum has been more productive when they are both on the pitch. The team is a lot better balanced and the defence is not getting pulled both sides. IMO.

The Charlton team needs some quick, flair players and Callum Harriott is definitely one of those.
  • Options

Don't agree with the wingers need to be able to change wings. You don't see Ronaldo out on the right much or Robben on the Left. You play to your're strengths!!!! Although there obviously the opposite to Callum in the sense they play on the opposite side to there stronger foot. I feel Callum has played on his weaker wing a lot of the season due to Cameron Stewart being stronger on the Left.

What?!?!

Ronaldo constantly switched wings with Bale!

Do you watch many Madrid games?