Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Callum Harriott

Comments

• Of course it won't help anything. Same as your digs after his hattrick don't help anything.

I'm not saying he's the messiah.

Just saying what I see - that you seem eager to piss on the parade, and are looking forward to doing it again.

I'd like us to sign at least one winger.
  • My comments on him after his hat trick are my own thoughts on the lad

I won't not say them just because he has scored a hat trick

I haven't insultated him I haven't said he is a one trick pony I haven't said he is shit or a Cnut

I have said that I dont think he will ever do what I hope he could

That his nickname doesn't help him as It leaves him open for criticism if it don't come off for him in games

He had people commenting on it on the nth during the Barnsley game

I have said he should be able to swap sides and play on left and right during games as all good wingers can

And so far when playing on the allegedly wrong side he has a stinker

Maybe I am still clouded by the sheff u game but the bottle job in the centre circle before their goal ( the first I think ) plus the miss for me summed up what he will so more than the hat trick today

I genuinely hope I am wrong I would love him to come good but I don't think he will

It's a football forum you don't agree that's your opinion I respect it and don't care

You think that I shouldn't say it after he has scored a hat trick you may well be right but I have I can't go back and edit the posts and say I will wait till his next 4 or 5 out of 10 performance and then post it can I

It's out there I will either be right or wrong if I am wrong I bet that there will be loads of people quick to tell me

If I am right I bet I won't be on here saying I told you so and of I am I will pay 50 quid to the upbeats
  • I have watched Callum since the under 16s and have been excited by his natural ability. What has held him back are the choices he makes. Holding on to the ball for too long. Going down blind alleys. His crossing is poor. But on the plus side he can beat people with skill, he is pacy and he has a good powerful shot. If the coaches can get rid of the bad and harness the good, we will have an excellent player on our hands.He will be inconsistent as he is still young, but he is a confidence player and the crowd should try and support him as it will make a massive difference.
  • So did the boooo boys and fans shouting you're shit and ironic cheers as he was substituted against Barnsley improve his performance or not because if he continued being shit after that I'm sure the booooo boys would have been blamed or did the grief give him the kick up the backside and focus to sort his game out and prove the vocal critics wrong ......

Just a thought !
  • He has been awful this season at times.

Came good in the last few games and that will make everyone forget how poor he has been. At times he was in competition with Church for worst player on the pitch.

Lets hope this really is a turning point fot him but like NLA i have big doubts.
  • Thank god for that I thought it was just me
  • There will be others but its difficult to write after he scores a hat trick.
  • None of our wingers this season have been great. Stewart was the best of them but I wasn't completely convinced by him.

Overall Harriott and Green have had poor seasons but Harriott is the one that's looked the most likely to threaten at this level. The last two games he's confirmed that.

We need more attacking options and pace in the side so I think we probably will sign a couple of wingers. Hopefully they do come in ahead of Harriott as competition for places should help push him (and them) on.

He's not another Poyet or Solly but as with Fox (who some have said hasn't been much more than solid, which I agree with) that's not a bad thing. Even if he's never a regular he can still be a threat in this league. We'll need a decent sized squad if we're to challenge at the other end of the table so only being a squad player doesn't mean he's failed.

What will help him is playing in a better and more attacking side. Cautious football in a poor team looking for the long ball to Yann was never likely to get the best from him.
  • Some people on this thread should probably be feeling a tad reflective this morning.....

Well, maybe or maybe not. Opinions were formed based on the evidence at hand. There aren't too many posts saying he'll never come good. And as I've said, a handful of games do not make him a legend.

Thank god for that I thought it was just me

Well you did take the heat off me for a while.
  • Don't think any of us think that Callum doesn't have either the attributes or raw talent to succeed. It's rather that he hasn't consistently showed either the confidence, strength or ability to effectively use what he has.

You will know that I'm certainly no expert but it strikes me that Jose Riga's "Cogitraining" techniques are just what Callum needs. They would focus on muscle memory repetition of what he does well and help to eliminate the poor choices he makes by instilling good Callum over indecisive poor Callum.

I for one am not expecting the next Ashley Young but I do think he has the chance to improve further.

What happened v Watford and yesterday won't hurt that possibility at all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Callum needs to add consistency to his game if he wants to get to play at the top level.

It's all ready been mentioned about his decision making and crossing ability, I hope the coaches at Charlton continue to work hard at this part of his game to bring the best out of him, he has natural ability , I think Callum does need healthy competition to bring the best out of him on a regular basis.

We do as fans need to be a bit more supportive to our own players rather than destroying them with abuse, even if they have a stinker, that's the hard bit as fans.

Still we are staying up and I for one am very happy, and can sleep at night knowing I will not be visiting grounds n league one, enjoy your summer people!

• swing low

sweet Harriott

scoring goals to shut you all up

(nearly)
  • Croydon said:

20 years old, 5 goals in 2 games to help secure our Championship safety and still half of you want to slag him off. What a ridiculous place this is at times

A forum for discussion where people (some of whom rarely, if ever slag off players) wish to challenge the views of others (and have their own views challenged), yet are met with simplistic and generalised responses that bring little, if anything to the table. What a ridiculous place this is sometimes etc.
  • just to confirm.....

are you all aware of the fact that we have won 2 games in a row?
  • My concern stemmed from the potential for the bright end to the season papering over the cracks that got us into a shitty position in the first place.
  • mrbligh said:

just to confirm.....

are you all aware of the fact that we have won 2 games in a row?

And scored 10 goals in the last 4 games in which Harriot has scored 5 goals and two assists.
  • so....

i've gone to the pub and ordered myself a nice pint of thatchers vintage but it doesn't taste quite right,

the next few visits to the pub are met with a loverly pint of thatchers vintage that taste quite magninficent,

do i then go home and worry that my pint may not be quite right next time?

no i do not!

i get stuck into a nice pizza and enjoy the wonderous fuzzy feeling that a good pint of thatchers vintage gives you
  • Bloody philosophers ;0)
  • Sponsored links:

• Bloody philosophers ;0)

there is no lesson that cannot be learnt through cider

• Oh, if only Callum had been on form at a place called Bramall Lane !!
  • Oh, if only Callum had been on form at a place called Bramall Lane !!

I think it was a blessing in disguise. We wouldn't have won at Wembley and the disappointment and extra distraction may have killed off any hope we had of avoiding the drop.

• edited May 2014
    Croydon said:

20 years old, 5 goals in 2 games to help secure our Championship safety and still half of you want to slag him off. What a ridiculous place this is at times

I don't think anyone wants to slag him off. Some don't rate him as highly as others because he scored a few goals at the end of the season. The points made have been fair and based on his whole season. Not sure his age has should get him special treatment as he is a professional footballer under contract like everyone else in the squad.

This place would be ridiculous and pointless if everyone agreed.
  • Quite pleased with the type of Goals he's scored in the last 2 games, with 3 of them coming from him drifting in to central positions and 2 arriving in from the back post. That added to the misses tells me his decision making off the ball is far from poor and if he can improve his decision making with the ball (He's only 20 remember) to go with the pace and skill he pocesses then we do have a player on our hands despite what some say. I for one have never got on his back because I can see he beats himself up enough when he makes a mistake. Hopefully he can keep his head up for the start of next season because his purple patch has unfortunetly come at the wrong time for the kid.
  • Quite pleased with the type of Goals he's scored in the last 2 games, with 3 of them coming from him drifting in to central positions and 2 arriving in from the back post. That added to the misses tells me his decision making off the ball is far from poor and if he can improve his decision making with the ball (He's only 20 remember) to go with the pace and skill he pocesses then we do have a player on our hands despite what some say. I for one have never got on his back because I can see he beats himself up enough when he makes a mistake. Hopefully he can keep his head up for the start of next season because his purple patch has unfortunetly come at the wrong time for the kid.

Agree with that although I think his purple patch might just have happened at exactly the right time.

• edited May 2014
    JiMMy 85 said:

1StevieG said:

JiMMy 85 said:

shine166 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

I fear that he's earned himself a new contract, and next year we will get another 40-odd games of dross.

cut the bloke some slack, he's only 20 years old, were you good and consistent at anything when you were that age?

I do wonder if people realise what they were like at 19, while lambasting...
    I haven't booed him, havent vocalised my feelings in public, and made minimal comments on this board. But I have every right to say that I would rather not gamble our league place based on two good performances in 46 games.
    Harriott set up 2 for Sordell against Chef Wednesday if memory serves me right?
    So that's three good games...

34 games this season including cups with 6 goals.