Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Our Strikers

Just a quick run down of our strikers and my feelings of them.

Church - Works hard, but lacks any strength in front of goal. hence the Spongefoot Squarepass name that gets batted about
Sordell - Came with so much promise, can look strong at times but you never seem confident he will score and often looks disinterested hence his nickname in the West Stand of Sod-all.
Obika - Probably the same as Sordell at the moment. I think he is slightly better but neither have confidence to score goals at the moment.
Reza - Quick feet, an eye for shooting at goal, has hit the post and bar a few times. But does like to go down easily when slightly knocked.
Piggott - Young and untested really. Too much pressure maybe to put on him this season.
PP - doesn't sound anywhere near ready yet, but pray a pre-season gets him up to speed.

None of them are looking confident at all. There is a lot of pressure on them to score and i think they are letting it get to them. I also think having to rotate because of the number of games we are playing is not helping any of them form any kind of understanding amongst each other. I don't blame Riga for rotating where he has because fatigue will set in. I'm just really impressed that Cousins and Poyet are still going so well this being their first seasons. To be honest when it comes to pressure regarding scoring goals, in a way tough sh#t on the strikers as thats their job. Strikers do hit bad form, but these guys have had bad form all season. Its not good enough, even Yann wasn't scoring for fun before he left. Now he is in a team with confidence he is doing very well again and good luck to him, we have to move on as we can't change that. I like our defence and i like our midfield (though a winger next season would be nice). Our strikers need to look at themselves and practice shooting. During the warm ups they don't even look confident or like scoring. I even saw Obika miss a tap-in on an open goal at half time at Yeovil.

Personally i think we should try and stick with a pairing for the remainder of the season. Maybe Obika and Reza for a few games at least, if not the remaining games. I think Obika just needs a run and i do like Reza and think he will do well if played up front and not out wide.

Just my opinion based on what i have seen myself, heard on the radio and some feedback from friends who attend every game.

Comments

• Options
    Well we know we're going down so lets play Spongefoot in every match. He looks like he enjoys being out there running about aimlessly.
  • Options
    hard to disagree with anything you've said there, I think collectively they are amongst the worst set of strikers I've known in over 30 years of watching us.

after last night Sordell can do one, two bob useless pile of shite, I actually like Obika and think he's the best of what we have and Reza needs to be played down the middle and right on the last man - that would be my pairing for the remaining games with AA in behind and a midfield 3 of JC, JJ, DP
  • Options
    Wouldn't it be great to have a striker who shoots!
  • Options
    cafckev said:

Maybe next season ;-)
  • Options
    We have a good championship back 4, a good championship midfield, and a league 2 strikeforce.

And that, if we go down, is why.
  • Options
    cafckev said:

we do but Reza can't do it out wide
  • Options
    Obika is best of an average/poor bunch, I would play Morrison up top with Obika, or Morrison with my mum as his strike partner....it cannot be any worse.

Sordell - I understand that Bolton have a clause in his loan contract that he MUST play against them.
  • Options
    Jackson, Cousins, Poyet and Adjarevic is a bloody good championship midfield!

Solly, Morrison, Dervite and Wilson is also a very good defense

The strikers are phenomenally poor. Sordell is the best one we have and i'm baffled as to why Obika isn't under the same scrutiny as Sordell.
  • Options
    Sign Ronnie Moore, he'd be a good bet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If putting our Strikers in order I'd have to say - (1) Church.. (2) Reza.. (3).. Obika.. (4) Pigott.. (5) Sordell.. (6) Parzyszek

Agree with @cafcnick1992 as well.. Provided we can get the Contracts etc... tied down then next year we could be an outside bet for play-offs (Championship NOT League One)

Goalkeepers: Hamer and Pope..
    Defence: Solly.. Morrison.. Dervite.. Wilson.. Wiggins.. Wood.. Lennon.. Fox..
    Midfield: Jackson.. Cousins.. Poyet.. Ajdarevic.. (PLUS).. two Wingers.. one creative backup..
    Attack: Church.. Pigott.. Reza.. Parzyszek.. (PLUS).. two Strikers..
  • Options
    Probably because Obika has been played out wide. Last night he showed that the most effective part of his game is his ability to control difficult balls and turn a defender sharply. He did that several times last night, but because he's not a winger his final ball was dreadful. If he was carrying out those tasks in front of goal we might see a shot. Sordell however panics on the ball and only looks like he wants to do something with it when totally unopposed. Dreadful player.
  • Options
    You think Church is our best striker?????
  • Options

Well he's our top scorer this season...
  • Options
    Every game I hear of deflected shots beating Hamer or looping speculative shots, very rarely a great strike like Reza's at Leeds. How can we be so unlucky every week? Well you make your own luck, if you don't shoot, you don't score. I don't know what the strikers are frightened of, do they think the crowd will laugh at them if their shot hits the corner flag? I think the majority of fans are at the stage now where they just want to see a move result in an attempt on goal. Riga, just tell them to shoot!
  • Options
    cafckev said:

17 shots last night
  • Options
    Trouble is its not helping that we're shooting from all over the place (i.e. Sordell from an impossible angle when he should have passed).. three times in quick succession Cousins had the ball on the edge of the area and passed instead of shooting (as the crowd demanded) as the ball would have just hit a Barnsley player and they'd have countered
  • Options

Well he's our top scorer this season...
    He's played 30 games more than the others.

I personally think he's behind Reza and Obika, with Sordell being as equally crap as he is. Jury is still out on Pigott.
  • Options
    holy hell we are in the dudu. this is confirmed by the fact that morro is seen by more than one person as the answer to our striking problems.

i get where you're coming from guys but jeez louise that would be a baaaad idea
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We could be radical and try playing Reza as a striker (which he is) rather than a lightweight right half (which he is not) .

Guaranteed penalty shouts and even possible goals.

Agreed, he's so deep he's more like a central midfielder at times. Why can't he play on the shoulder of the last defender, chase through balls and hopefully get bundled over in the box...
  • Options
    I'm sure Reza will come good given time. But time is not on our side
  • Options
    I wonder if Ahearne-Grant is on a hefty contract hike for appearing in 1st team as per Poyet? At least he knows where the goal is and has the physique.
  • Options
    My father in law could do better and he's only got 1 foot!
  • Options

If putting our Strikers in order I'd have to say - (1) Church.. (2) Reza.. (3).. Obika.. (4) Pigott.. (5) Sordell.. (6) Parzyszek

Agree with @cafcnick1992 as well.. Provided we can get the Contracts etc... tied down then next year we could be an outside bet for play-offs (Championship NOT League One)

Midfield: Jackson.. Cousins.. Poyet.. Ajdarevic.. (PLUS).. two Wingers.. one creative backup..

I want some of what you are having
  • Options
    I think the bottom line is: If we go down it will be because we let Kermorgant go.
  • Options

Very good but April 1st has gone.
  • Options

I wonder if Ahearne-Grant is on a hefty contract hike for appearing in 1st team as per Poyet? At least he knows where the goal is and has the physique.

At this moment in time i'd have Russell Grant in the team ahead of all our strikers.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    At the moment id say only PP is a striker, the rest are forwards.