Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Other Miserable Seasons

This is by far and away the least enjoyable season i've followed Charlton. There has obviously been worse season's, but for me personally it has been terrible and the late QPR winner was probably the only real enjoyable moment i witnessed.

Looking back at our 08/09 relegation record, at this point of the season we were bottom, with 8 points less and twelve points from safety. Effectively relegated. Why this season feels worse, i don't whether it is to do with the uncertainty (whereas in 09 in was known for a long time we were going down), or the fact this is off the back of a run of being an 'unhappy club', i really don't know. But for me, its sucked.

What has been your stand out miserable season since you've been following ?

Comments

• Without question this one. What makes it even worse is that for the first time in 32 years as a supporter I don't actually care what the outcome is at the end of the season. Bad thing to think, but that's the way it is.

• 1996/97 - 15th Place finish in Division 1. Feeling after effects of previous season (losing to palace) and losing Bowyer.
    2008/09 - 2 Managers, Underperfoming Overpaid Players and relegation
    2010/11 - 2 managers, underperforming overpaid players and dogshit players and our lowest placed finish in years within the football league.
  • The 70/71 season was bad. We lost our last game 5-0 to get relegated by ... Blackpool.
  • in 08/09 we only lost 1 in our last 8 games, 4 in our last 15, so the actual run in bit wasn't calamitous
  • edited April 2014
    With 0.76 goals per game, I make it we are on course for our worst ever scoring season, beating the 1988/89 (old) Div 1 relegation, where we average 0.82
  • 2006-07

I was working in Singapore until December so could only watch from afar for the Dowie/Reed period and almost felt it was happening as I wasn't there watching the team.

Then after my redundancy from RBS went travelling in Thailand for a couple of months - first day in Koh Samui watched us beat West Ham 4-0 at Valley, then few days later saw West Ham throw it away at home to Spurs and really thought we were staying up.

Think it was the hope that done it for me.
  • This season is right up there! We've not had any real form, we've been nicking wins here and there but not consistently beaten teams. We have the quality to beat teams like Barnsley, yet they don't turn up. Players like Poyet give us hope, then players like Harriott let us down repeatedly. Its like seeing a rainbow, getting to the end and finding a dog shit, all that hope and no end product.
  • 45 years -ish the majority shit-------------there would have been worse im sure but this year the standard of the football is awfull. ENTERTAINMENT ? please do one, what we have been served isnt worth any money.
  • The 08/09 relegation was worse for me, it was a low that I don't think I'd ever witnessed before so the disappointment was pretty raw. I'm just numb to it now so it doesn't get me down as much - can there be anything more depressing than becoming used to failure ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Possibly this season for the reasons below (although we're not down yet and it will/could all change)

The departure of the chosen one, I love SCP and still miss him (my 6 year old who hasn't been since Leicester away started singing Chrissy Powells Red Army in the garden yesterday when we were playing football and it hurt having to explain to him that the legend was no longer in charge) , a part of my Charlton love disappeared with him.

The departure of Yann hurts on a much smaller scale than SCP , a player who could do magic and a rare thing in recent times at Charlton someone you wanted to watch and he had passion for the game

Palace doing so well with fans that actually make a genuine decent amount of noise in support of their team

The chance of the scum staying up and us going down is hell

but thats just my current depressed state of mind , beat Bolton and I'll be pulling Rollys Poley
  • edited April 2014
    79-80 was poor...relegated to Div 3, still we did bounce back at the first attempt, finishing 3rd the following year.....behind Rotherham and Barnsley.
  • With 0.76 goals per game, I make it we are on course for our worst ever scoring season, beating the 1888/89 (old) Div 1 relegation, where we average 0.82

Dont you mean 1989/89 season... Dont think Charlton existed in 1888?
  • The season we sacked parky I just stopped going. It was so bad I couldn't bear it. This season is awful but it has been fascinating in the same way that a plane crash is fascinating so it's kept my attention. I actually hated last season. For all we finished ninth, we were awful and the whole season was just such an anti climax after the feeling on promotion from league 1 that we were on to something with a new fresh "one of our own" manager and new owners who would take us to the next level. I actually found that false dawn so much more depressing than what we are currently experiencing which is more of a roller coaster. I'm very down though after last night.
  • With 0.76 goals per game, I make it we are on course for our worst ever scoring season, beating the 1888/89 (old) Div 1 relegation, where we average 0.82

Dont you mean 1989/89 season... Dont think Charlton existed in 1888?
    You're clearly a plastic fan who jumped on the bandwagon when we got in the Premiership - REAL fans remember the 1888 season.
  • 79-80 was awful. One or two highlights (beating West Ham 1-0) but all in all a crap season.
  • The worst thing for me is that we haven't won two league games in a row all season. We haven't had anything that could ever be described as form, the entire season has been scrapping for the odd win and looking at the teams above us. On the odd occasion we've won it's generally been by one goal and there's been little indication that things are on the up, just that it's good we got three points. There's been nothing to get us excited on the pitch, and the nonsense that's gone on behind the scenes with both sets of owners has been miserable. Definitely a low, low point for me
  • edited April 2014
    The thing is even when we were in the third tier in the 70's after flirting with relegation most seasons during the 60's and got relegated back there after 37 years we had club legends and heroes to watch and no illusions about our place in the football pyramid certainly with the Glikstens in charge followed by Hulyer when we nearly went out of existence in 84 :-( Yes the football was crap at times but what you didn't know about then, you couldn't worry about unlike today when there is so much background information about RD available through various channels which only goes to add to the feeling of unease. The move to Sellout in 85/86 was gut wrenching but turned out to be our saving grace with a return that season to the top flight. Both 08/09 and 10/11 were dire and so far this season is right up there with them I'm afraid after the terrible twins shafted us with lack of investment and leaving RD with a ball of knitting which he has struggled to unwind with some of his decisions. Surely we are due a bit of good fortune. It's hard even for stalwarts like me to keep the faith but I still be there next season, it's in the blood. COYRs
  • Little excitement this season, even felt the cup run was pretty uninspiring.

Still a bit of luck and we scrap a couple of wins to stay up we can start afresh in the summer.
  • 79-80 was awful. One or two highlights (beating West Ham 1-0) but all in all a crap season.

Remember going to Fulham at the end of that season, we both were already down, think the crowd was less then 4k and no more then 500 Charlton there....think we lost 1-0....as you say awful season.
  • Sponsored links:

• This is by far and away the least enjoyable season i've followed Charlton. There has obviously been worse season's, but for me personally it has been terrible and the late QPR winner was probably the only real enjoyable moment i witnessed.
    Looking back at our 08/09 relegation record, at this point of the season we were bottom, with 8 points less and twelve points from safety. Effectively relegated. Why this season feels worse, i don't whether it is to do with the uncertainty (whereas in 09 in was known for a long time we were going down), or the fact this is off the back of a run of being an 'unhappy club', i really don't know. But for me, its sucked.

What has been your stand out miserable season since you've been following ?

I've been supporting Charlton for over fifty years and this definitely feels the worse season, and I can remember a few!!. Uncertainty surrounding the Clubs future, the bad feeling towards the previous owners, lack of investment in the squad, losing Yann, Stephens and Chris Powell, poor performances on the field. I could find many reasons why supporting Charlton this season has become so disappointing. The journey from the Valley home to Norfolk has become more and more painful after so many abject performances and defeats.
    Can't wait for it to end.

Remember going to Fulham at the end of that season, we both were already down, think the crowd was less then 4k and no more then 500 Charlton there....think we lost 1-0....as you say awful season.
    79/80 for me. It was my first relegation, which also made 80/81 one of my favourite seasons.For me Mike Bailey is up there with Curbs and Powell as one of my personal favourite managers.08/09 runs it close though . This season will only match those 2 if we go down

I remember that game at Fulham as well and a couple of drunken Scottish Charlton supporters singing a version of the hokey cokey celebrating our previous manager Andy Nelson's liking for changing his defensive formations :

' you get your right back in , your left back out
    in out in out and switch them all about.
    You do the Andy Nelson and move them around.
    That's what it's all about
    Whoaaa the Andy Nelson '
  • Oh come on it's not been that bad! At least we got to play Oxford and Huddersfield in the cup again...

:'(
  • The 08/09 season was crushing. The 5-2 loss to Sheffield United stands out as particularly disappointing
  • 71/72, 79/80, 08/09 were all as bad or worse than this in my opinion.

Although I think the confidence and motivation will go after last night's bodyblow and we will capitulate, nobody can accuse this lot of not putting a shift in unlike Racon et al in 08/09 and old donkeys like Tony Hazell after one more payday in 79/80.

The problem this year is a lack of creativity and strikers worthy of the name. It's obvious but if you don't score you don't win and no matter how good a defence is mistakes will be made eg Wood for Barnsley's first goal.

• I don't think devastating feeling of the 08-09 season will ever be repeated, given it was only the second season after relegation from the prem.

To be honest 07-08 to 09-10 is a complete blur (despite going to 20-something games in each of them). Mercenary players, virtually no notable signings, terrible football, Phil 'the most depressing man in football' Parkinson, getting the piss ripped out of me by my Swindon Town supporting mate for THAT penalty miss...
  • This season has been the worst by far because its been so fecking boring. I know the other relegations were bad especially 08/09 but least we scored a few goals, least we got to erupt and celebrate a goal once in a while. It feel like this will be the most unnecessary relegation ever. The whole season just feels like fuck up after fuck up, From TJ/Slater to RD, From Powell's negative tactics and weird selections to Rigas weird selections and strange tactics.
  • 1996/97 - 15th Place finish in Division 1. Feeling after effects of previous season (losing to palace) and losing Bowyer.
    2008/09 - 2 Managers, Underperfoming Overpaid Players and relegation
    2010/11 - 2 managers, underperforming overpaid players and dogshit players and our lowest placed finish in years within the football league.

Agree, all dire. Hated the 1990-92 period when we were selling players like Rob Lee and playing at Selhurst/Upton Park. But at least then there was the rainbow of a return to The Valley. This season is appalling football but this time it's against a backdrop of the likelihood the future, in whatever division, will be even worse.

• in 08/09 we only lost 1 in our last 8 games, 4 in our last 15, so the actual run in bit wasn't calamitous

I remember saying at the time it was the middle 20 games that killed us. 13 games in we was mid-table after beating Ipswich.
  • 08/09 was worse than this IMO

That last minute equaliser for Derby in the Monday night game nearly killed me.

That season was more embarrassing as well, as people still expected us to be challenging for promotion