Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Decent Officials Please

Throughout this season we have had some awful officials. Just for a change please can we have some decent ones tonight.

Comments

• Options
    Tonights Officials

IAIN WILLIAMSON
    Barry Holderness and Alan Dale
    Fourth Official Andy Davies
  • Options
    Yeah, refereeing is ever so easy.

Match officials are human, and humans make mistakes in all walks of life. This human nature is exacerbated in football by the speed of the game and the need for instant decisions. For more correct decisions, we must start with clubs taking greater responsibility by getting their players to refrain from diving, appealing for decisions which clearly are not theirs and all other forms of conning the officials. If we still have a problem thereafter, I guess we would have to look at more technology or more match officials, such as one referee per half. Sadly, the human error will never be completely eradicated from our beloved game.

Did I read some statistics recently which stated that match officials get 93% of all major decisions right? That to me is pretty impressive.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Did I read some statistics recently which stated that match officials get 93% of all major decisions right? That to me is pretty impressive.

The 7% they get wrong all occur in our games though :)

• Options
    PeterGage said:

If I recall, you used to be a ref? I also used to referee (local park standard) for a number of years and through doing so, you appreciate how hard it can actually be. There has been times when I've missed a blatant foul because a player has run across my path of vision at that moment, blocking my view. Although I had strong suspicions of the offence being committed, that's not enough in my book. If I didn't see it, I didn't give it. The main difference between park football and professional is the linesman refs assistant. At park level, these are supplied by the 2 teams and 90% of the time were either clueless or blatant cheats, so would find myself ignoring them for the majority of the time.

However, I've gotta say, I've seen some baffling decisions this season and do think the general standard at championship level if pretty poor...............
  • Options
    Iain Williamson has refereed two Charlton matches...

27.11.2012 - When we beat Peterborough United 2-0 at the Valley
    05.05.2012 - When we beat Hartlepool United 3-2 at the Valley and lifted the League One Trophy

Is travelling from Berkshire tonight so thankfully no Northern bloke with a love for Yorkshire
  • Options
    edited April 2014

05.05.2012 - When we beat Hartlepool United 3-2 at the Valley and lifted the League One Trophy

Is travelling from Berkshire tonight so thankfully no Northern bloke with a love for Yorkshire

But his mistress is a Millwall fan - allegedly
  • Options
    Yeah, Tango, I agree some baffling decisions FROM MY ANGLE. We all complain about the poor decisions, but there has to be a partnership between clubs and match officials if the level of decision making is going to improve. It is no good manager A complaining when say and opponent has dived, and a penalty wrongly awarded, if that manager does not discourage his players from doing the same thing. What goes round comes around.
  • Options

But his mistress is a Millwall fan - allegedly
    And he has a signed photo of Dickie Bird on his living room wall
  • Options
    Agree that it's not easy Peter. I'd like to think it evens itself out but we have had some shocking decisions against us this season. Last time out at home the ref missed blatant fouls and pushes and failed to do anything to stop persistent fouling. Linesman also missed them and some blatant handballs - all very obvious. Sadly too often in this season above most that's been the case.
  • Options
    They DO seem them but don't give them, that's the problem
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is Williamson the ref who got injured at the Valley?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Williamson's record so far this season is games officiated: 22, cards: 64 yellow, with two coming in the same game, for the same player accounting for the only red card he's shown this season.
  • Options
    It would go a long way to help if the majority of players, managers and supporters actually knew the rules.
  • Options
    Seems to be a bit of a to55er so far tonight. ...
  • Options
    My god did you ever jinx this Phil!

Worst refereeing so far this season, and that's saying something
  • Options
    Was actually one of Barnsleys Best players , Infact he was the only Person in the 90 minutes to successfully Intercept A Pass from Poyet

No but seriously , He was shite
  • Options
    I can't be the only one who thinks that referees are overly nice to the away team. Time after time after time after time, they're so inconsistent with their decision making and always give the oppo freekicks where we would never get a look in. The prime example when their player pushed into the back of poyet, he waved it away. Literally 20 seconds later at most wiggins did the same thing and he gave them a freekick. Try and defend them all you like, REFS ARE W*NKERS
  • Options
    What did/didn't they do that affected the result today? Serious question....I remember some bad decisions but not of any consequence?
  • Options

What did/didn't they do that affected the result today? Serious question....I remember some bad decisions but not of any consequence?

• Options
    PeterGage said:

Match officials are human, and humans make mistakes in all walks of life. This human nature is exacerbated in football by the speed of the game and the need for instant decisions. For more correct decisions, we must start with clubs taking greater responsibility by getting their players to refrain from diving, appealing for decisions which clearly are not theirs and all other forms of conning the officials. If we still have a problem thereafter, I guess we would have to look at more technology or more match officials, such as one referee per half. Sadly, the human error will never be completely eradicated from our beloved game.

93% isn't that great. In my job we have SLAs of 99% and if they are missed we are heavily fined. Would like to see a similar system brought in for match officials.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looked like a yellow card was fair to me
  • Options
    Yes!!!!

That the answer, the ref has been so useless we are in this position!!

Let's make a complaint to the FA!
  • Options
    The refs do help themselves though, look at the shoulder barge on Poyet that wasn't given but 2 seconds later, a carbon copy barge and it was given. People just want consistency. I will not talk about the time wasting or the foul on Cousins right the end though
  • Options
    Raising your hand to an opponent is violent conduct and a red card offence. So I imagine grabbing somebody by the throat is too.
  • Options
    Once Cousins makes the PL he will learn to go down clutching his face when this happens! Glad he didn't today. Their player was booked, it was a outright to me, football has become too sanitised, that really was just handbags.

I was more annoyed the ref let them get away with constant time wasting from very early on without even warning them. No excuses for that.
  • Options
    We didn't lose because of the ref, but every 50/50 seemed to go their way.

Not sure what we did to upset him, but he didn't like us for some reason.
  • Options

I thought Cousins was fouled right at the end, on the edge of the box (not quite in the penalty area where he fell). He didn't give it.

We got a stingy 5 minutes of stoppage time, considering the number of injuries, substitutions and the fact that Barnsley started timewasting with about 20 minutes to go. That we only got 5 minutes wasn't his decision, but he blew for full time having barely played that five minutes, despite a goal and further timewasting that should have lead to another two minutes.

Or I might just be bitter.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

I thought Cousins was fouled right at the end, on the edge of the box (not quite in the penalty area where he fell). He didn't give it.

We got a stingy 5 minutes of stoppage time, considering the number of injuries, substitutions and the fact that Barnsley started timewasting with about 20 minutes to go. That we only got 5 minutes wasn't his decision, but he blew for full time having barely played that five minutes, despite a goal and further timewasting that should have lead to another two minutes.

Or I might just be bitter.
    To be fair, I left in disgust in the 89th minute so you could well be right about any late incidents.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Funny that. Players actually have to play the game at speed rather than just run about (Sordell excepted). They also have to make instant decisions. The difference is that, whilst players get yellow and red cards and suspensions for making incorrect decisions (all of which also affect us as supporters), referees carry on regardless. And if they are disciplined its all done in secret.
  • Options

Is travelling from Berkshire tonight

Berkshire Hunt?