Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

All-time Charlton XI - awarded for just one moment

Comments

• Options
    I was thinking that earlier! Just how important could that be today?!
  • Options
    kiely vs spurs in our 1-0 win. Best piece of goalkeeping I have seen by a Charlton keeper. Best Charlton keeper ever.
  • Options

kiely vs spurs in our 1-0 win. Best piece of goalkeeping I have seen by a Charlton keeper. Best Charlton keeper ever.

Really better than Sam?
  • Options
    Will Marvin qualify now?
  • Options

Better than Thuram?
  • Options
    Maybe I should put a survey together instead and you guys can vote for your eleven by position. Might wait until the end of the season though in case there are anymore heroes.
  • Options
    Di Canio vs Aston Villa - never seen one man make a group of so-called top-flight defenders look so much like schoolboys. "Don't panic Mr Mainwaring, Don't panic!"
  • Options
    Jackson for QPR
    Yann for Hartlepool
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ray Tracey’s FA CUP goal V The Glaziers at Smellhurst.....Best goal I’ve ever seen scored by an Addick!
  • Options
    Just quickly and in a 4-4-2....(it's actually not a bad looking 11)

Dean Kiely - for a wonder save v Spurs at home.

John Humphrey - beautiful cross on run for Andy Jones' header at Maine Road.

Peter Shirtliff - diving header v Leeds at St Andrews.

Richard Rufus - busting tackle on Les Ferdinand at White Hart Lane.

Chris Powell - goal v Coventry in his last game.

John Robinson - last minute goal v Manchester United.

Steve Mackenzie - brilliant solo goal v Arsenal at Highbury.

Peter Garland - long range goal v Wimbledon at Selhurst.

Andy Reid - beautiful curling ball for Chris Iwelumo's last minute header at Bristol City.

Andy Hunt - last minute winner at Coventry.

Alan Simonsen - the first of his two slalom wonder goals v Chelsea at The Valley.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Just quickly and in a 4-4-2....(it's actually not a bad looking 11)

Dean Kiely - for a wonder save v Spurs at home.

John Humphrey - beautiful cross on run for Andy Jones' header at Maine Road.

Peter Shirtliff - diving header v Leeds at St Andrews.

Richard Rufus - busting tackle on Les Ferdinand at White Hart Lane.

Chris Powell - goal v Coventry in his last game.

John Robinson - last minute goal v Manchester United.

Steve Mackenzie - brilliant solo goal v Arsenal at Highbury.

Peter Garland - long range goal v Wimbledon at Selhurst.

Andy Reid - beautiful curling ball for Chris Iwelumo's last minute header at Bristol City.

Andy Hunt - last minute winner at Coventry.

Alan Simonsen - the first of his two slalom wonder goals v Chelsea at The Valley.

If Rufus is going in surely it has to be for his header on the play off final (crazy to think that will be 20 years ago this year).
  • Options
    Peter Garland - superb long range goal at the Valley - can't remember who against - but it was a stunning strike
  • Options
    Andy Petterson (or was it Mike Amman?) for an unbelievable save against palace.
    Neil Heaney for a great strike on Mauricio Tarrico.
  • Options
    Johnnie Jackson vs QPR - last min winner!
  • Options

Peter Garland - superb long range goal at the Valley - can't remember who against - but it was a stunning strike

Bolton I think
  • Options
    Colin Walsh,for being the best passer of a ball this club has had,Check his 4 assists against peterborough .Woiuld have got many Scottish caps if had not suffered two broken legs.
  • Options
    Talal El-Karkouri free kick vs Arsenal
    JJ's bicycle kick vs West Ham
    Di Canio's Penalty vs Arsenal
    Holmes-Dennis for killing Barry Bannan
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2018
    shirty5 said:

John Hendry - Winner v Millwall 1992
    Kim Grant - A brace v Millwall 1995
    Carl Leaburn - Goal in a win v Millwall 1996
    Lee Bowyer - Goal in a win v Millwall 1996
    Paul Kitson - Winner v Palace 2000
    Dennis Rommedahl - Winner v Palace 2004
    Dean Kiely - Penalty Save v Palace and Charlton win 2004
    Jon Fortune - Goal that relegated Palace 2005
    Svetoslav Todorov - Winner v Palace 2007
    Matt Spring - Winner v Palace 2009

I’m spotting a theme here.....
  • Options

Bolton
  • Options
    Steve Brown (obviously) for THAT tackle in the playoff final.
  • Options
    Chris Duffy
    Goal 1947
  • Options
    If we are going to pick el karkouri, I nominate his free kick against Blackburn. Probably the hardest I've ever celebrated.
  • Options
    Dean Kiely - Being a gent and a legend when we met him at Anfield with my then 8 year old son
    Andy Hunt - Perfect hatrick away at Stockport County
    Clive Mendonca - Play off Final
    Gary Nelson - Palace away play off semi final last game in a Charlton shirt and a gent in the players lounge when I met him after the game
    Colin Walsh - First goal back at the Valley
    Jon Fortune - The goal that sent Palace down
    Dennis Rommadhal - Winner at Palace
    Peter Shirtliff - The part he played at St Andrews that night
    Johnnie Jackson - For all those JJ moments
    Kevin Lisbie - The hatrick against Liverpool
    Alan Simonsen - For signing for Charlton

And number 12 SCP for so many moments as a player and a manager and as an all round top bloke

this is in no particular order just as I plucked them from my memories
  • Options
    I'm going to have to go for a different slant here. Half these players would come into contention for my all-time Charlton XI, and I think that means you can't really remember them by one moment. I'll give a team a go, restricting it to moments I was alive for:

GK - Nick Pope, for this double save:

RB - Yassin Moutaouakil. Can't remember who the opponents were, but in about his third or fourth game he made an absolute monster of a tackle when the bloke had beaten him two yards for pace and came away with the ball to launch a counter attack. Was a great challenge.

CB - Jorge Costa, for when he thighed the ball back to the keeper. I'd never seen that before and dad had to explain why it didn't constitute circumvention of the back pass rule.

CB - Jon Fortune. Obviously.

LB - Tareiq Holmes-Dennis, for that dirt move on Barry Bannan:

RM - Dennis Rommedahl. "Dennis, in the last minute..."

CM - Amdy Faye, for the following. No-one said the moment had to be good...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcZJ6U9RC4o

CM - Matt Spring, for the solitary goal in a 1-0 vs Palace which broke I think a winless run of about a million games.

LM - Dany N'Guessan, for that cross-cum-shot that rocketed in when no-one expected it.

CF - Reza Ghoochannejhad, for the goal vs Leeds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaO7CIydgmM

CF - Svetoslav Todorov, for a solitary goal in a 1-0 vs Palace.
  • Options
    Illic for the lead up to the play off final and the final itself, closely followed In the keeper stakes by Steve Brown at Villa.

Pitcher (!) for actually managing to pass the ball 6 yards for Walsh to score on the 5th December, Walsh had to point to him where to put it mind.

Webster for the many times he put his head where he shouldn't have but also that Volley at upton park which is still the most I've ever won on a football match.

Costsa, just for being Costa

Powell, for scoring at the end of a great career with us

DiCanio for the penalty chip

Mortimer, can't remember the game but he ran almost the length of the pitch and riffled it in

Jensen for the chip against Arsenal

Parker for the 4-2 game at Chelsea

Bartlett for his goal of the season

Mendonca for, well, as if I need to say

and of course last but not least on the subs bench, myself, for had I not took the money and gone to Newcastle we'd probably still not be back at the valley :smiley:

Please note Robinson - I'm playing 442!
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

So...a quick team in some sort of formation..

1. Bob Bolder...for the penalty save v Wimbledon at Selhurst when we were fighting relegation.
    2. Paul Curtis....for his late poked winner at Fulham in '83 (my first away win in god knows how many games!)
    3. Paul Mortimer...for his slalom goal at Norwich.
    4. Paul Miller...for his goal at Chelsea that saved us from the relegation play-offs.
    5. Peter Shirtliff...for this diving header winner at St Andrews v Leeds (and his knee into the back of Ian Baird's head...)
    6. John Robinson....for his equaliser v Manchester Utd.
    7. Colin Walsh....for his last minute equaliser v Norwich in the Full Members Semi Final (sorry...wasn't at the Valley for his goal v Portsmouth)
    8. Claus Jensen...for the chip at Hignbury.
    9. Scott Parker....for destroying Makele and Chelsea on Boxing Day 4-2.
    10. Paulo Di Canio....for the chipped penalty v Arsenal.
    11. Alan Simonsen....for the first of the two slalom goals v Chelsea at The Valley.

Subs;
    12. Ben Hamer....for the penalty save at Leeds.
    13. Derek Hales...for keeping cool and sliding the ball past the keeper to put us 2-1 up v Bolton (the big relegation match in '83)
    14. Kevin Lisbie...for the last minute header at Chelsea 1-0.
    15. Bryan Hughes...for staying calm in the penalty shoot-out at Stamford Bridge.
    16. Darren Pitcher....for the winner at Blackburn in the FA Cup.

Fortune?