Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

All-time Charlton XI - awarded for just one moment

Comments

• Options
    For just one moment?

The first Charlton player to kick a ball in competitive play.
    The first Charlton player to kick a ball in the football league.
    Keith Peacock when he came on as a sub (first time in the football league).
    Sam Bartram for that moment when he was the only player on the pitch (not realising the game had been abandoned due to fog).
  • Options
    Eddie Firmani scoring on his first home game at the Valley, against Bury, after returning from years in Italy.
  • Options
    Ray Crawford goal away at Millwall (ITV goal of the season0. Forget which year. Chased away from the old den by the scum after the game. Great memory.
  • Options

Paul Mortimer belongs on this list for pretty much every goal he scored. His belter away to Leeds in a 4-1 loss in the 98-99 season is another that springs to mind.

Morts in the snow at The Den
  • Options
    Amos Stuart's winner at Old Trafford. Yippee-eye-aye. Yippe-eye-Ohhhhhhhhh!
  • Options

Right, here we go. This has been very tough and I'm sure plenty of you will disagree. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure I agree with it! I've tried to leave player bias aside and base it purely on one game or moment and nothing else. The team is based on suggestions from this thread only. I've given a reason for each selection. Feel free to post your own teams up as well.

Manager - Jimmy Seed - 1947 FA Cup win.

4-4-2

GK - Sasa llic - 1998 Playoff Final

RB - Danny Mills - Goal at Aston Villa in 1999
    CB - Peter Shirtliff - 1987 Second Division Playoff final
    CB - Rufus - 1998 Playoff final
    LB - Chris Powell - Goal in his last ever game at home to Coventry

RM - Shaun Newton - Goal in the 1998 playoff semi-final at home to Ipswich
    CM - Rob Lee - last goal at The Valley / money raised for us when he signed for Newcastle (tough one playing him in central midfield but felt he needed a place)
    CM - Collin Walsh - 1992, first goal back at The Valley - I know he was a winger but I've stuck him in the middle to accommodate my next selection.
    LM - Chris Duffy - for his winning goal in the 1947 FA Cup Final

CF - Clive Mendonca - 1998 Playoff final
    CF - Johnny Summers - Five goals in the 7-6 comeback against Hudersfield

Subs:

Simonsen for the Chelsea game
    Rommedahl - last-minute v Palace
    Fortune - for relegating Palace
    Bartlett - for his goal of the season
    Kiely - for his save(s) at St Andrews

Others that didn't make it:

Jackson for his free-kicks in the Sheffield games
    Lisbie for his hat-trick against Liverpool
    Parker - for his goal at Leeds or Southampton goals
    Darren Pitcher for his goal at Blackburn
    John Robinson - for Huddersfield away or Utd at home - or for just being John Robinson - this was my toughest exclusion
    Johansson - for his hat-trick and overhead kick against West Ham
    Stevie Brown
    Paul Mortimer

As I said, a really tough one. Midfield was the toughest area but I've tried to base the selections on significance of the occasion. I suppose cases could still be made for Jackson and Pitcher in that respect. Players like Shirtliff, Rufus, Newton, Duffy and Mendonca all have to be in there if you base the selection on what would / would not have happened had they not got those crucial goals.

Over to you guys...

Disappointed you liked both my choices and neither even made the bench
  • Options
    Mine didn't even make the list that didn't make it!
  • Options

Right, here we go. This has been very tough and I'm sure plenty of you will disagree. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure I agree with it! I've tried to leave player bias aside and base it purely on one game or moment and nothing else. The team is based on suggestions from this thread only. I've given a reason for each selection. Feel free to post your own teams up as well.

4-4-2

CM - Rob Lee - last goal at The Valley / money raised for us when he signed for Newcastle (tough one playing him in central midfield but felt he needed a place)
    CM - Collin Walsh - 1992, first goal back at The Valley - I know he was a winger but I've stuck him in the middle to accommodate my next selection.

Subs:

John Robinson - for Huddersfield away or Utd at home - or for just being John Robinson - this was my toughest exclusion
    Stevie Brown
    Paul Mortimer

As I said, a really tough one. Midfield was the toughest area but I've tried to base the selections on significance of the occasion. I suppose cases could still be made for Jackson and Pitcher in that respect. Players like Shirtliff, Rufus, Newton, Duffy and Mendonca all have to be in there if you base the selection on what would / would not have happened had they not got those crucial goals.

Over to you guys...

Which ones were they? One was Solly at Blackpool wasn't it? You're welcome to do your team as well...
  • Options

4-4-2

Subs:

Stevie Brown
    Paul Mortimer

Over to you guys...

Which ones were they? One was Solly at Blackpool wasn't it? You're welcome to do your team as well...
    Yeah Solly and BWP for the Carlisle goal
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Steve Gritt`s equaliser at Selhurst Park sending the Charlton hordes into delirium

Lawrie Madden`s penalty miss against Newcastle(think the ball is still flying through the air)

Martin Robinson`s lob against Newcastle at home

Les Berry`s own goal against Fulham

Steve Gritt`s matchwinner against West Ham

Simmo taking Chelsea apart single handedly

A young Paul Walsh destroying Sheff Weds at the Valley

Jim Giles handball goal in last minute against Bolton

Colin Powell`s wonder goal against Blackburn

Derek Hales goal of the season against Hull

Derek Hales goal at Chesterfield in 81 promotion season

Mike Flanagan hat-trick against Tottenham

Mike Flanagan hat-trick against Chelsea

Kim Grant for the 2 goals at the Den in the snow!

Carl Leaburn`s solo effort at Southend

Simon Webster`s winner against Bristol City at Upton Park

David Whyte`s classy finishes against Leicester at Upton Park and against Watford at the Valley

Dean Kiely for that pen save against Arsenal

Mark Kinsella goal at Bolton(Last game at Burnden)

Colin Walsh first goal back at the Valley

Pardew`s matchwinner at Newcastle after we came back from 0.3 down

Paul Miller at Chelsea

Martin Pringle`s solo strike at Derby

Andy Hunt hat-trick at Norwich

Andy Hunt`s goal against West Ham to put us 3.2 up

Danny Mills at Villa

Claus Jensen`s run and Parker`s finish at home to Derby

Kitson and Rommedahl at Palace

Steve Brown in goal at Maine Road and Villa Park

Steve Brown getting a red card whilst on the stretcher which
    caused the famous magazine throwing incident

Paul Mortimer on numerous occasions

Rufus tackle at Spurs and goal at Wembley

Sasa`s pen save at Wembley

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Great thread @TheRedRobin reliving some of those special moments in 5 & 1/2 decades of following my beloved team has eased the pain this weekend.
  • Options
    John Hendrie
  • Options
    Paul Benson for getting the winner against Carlisle despite them pulling 3 back to equalise
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Great thread @TheRedRobin reliving some of those special moments in 5 & 1/2 decades of following my beloved team has eased the pain this weekend.

My pleasure. Distracts from the usual threads I thought and nice to relive some former glories.
  • Options
    Maybe it's because we were ultimately relegated, but Martin Pringle's equaliser against Newcastle. We had lost so many consecutive games, it was a dark winter. We were losing. It was so late in the game. And he never hit such a height again at the top level.

I really think this works better if the players weren't legends in their own right. One hit wonders if you will. Pringles scored some other goals, but that really was the peak.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Maybe it's because we were ultimately relegated, but Martin Pringle's equaliser against Newcastle. We had lost so many consecutive games, it was a dark winter. We were losing. It was so late in the game. And he never hit such a height again at the top level.

I really think this works better if the players weren't legends in their own right. One hit wonders if you will. Pringles scored some other goals, but that really was the peak.

On that note...

1. Stephan Anderson.....for his pen save at Chelsea in the shoot out.
    2. Stuart Balmer...for his performance at Blackburn.
    3. Anthony Barness....for starting the comeback at Newcastle.
    4. Steve Thompson....for scoring the winner v QPR in the floodlight failure game at Selhurst on my 20th birthday.
    5. Tommy Caton....for the last min penalty at Middlesbrough.
    6. Barry Little....for scoring at QPR on his debut (our only goal on their plastic pitch)
    7. Steve Mackenzie...for the aforementioned goal at Highbury.
    8. Mark Aizlewood....for giving the East Terrace two fingers after his header against Oldham.
    9. Garth Crooks....for the two goals v Ipswich in the play off at Selhurst.
    10. Kim Grant....for his goals v Sheffield Wed in the FA Cup at The Valley.
    11. Tom Hovi......for just being Tom Hovi.
  • Options

4-4-2

Subs:

Stevie Brown
    Paul Mortimer

Over to you guys...

Hard to disagree with any one of those. Doesn't mean others aren't good choices, but those are the best choices.
  • Options
    Maybe I was dreaming and Mark Stuart didn't really score our winning goal at Old Trafford?
  • Options
    Stone said:

Maybe I was dreaming and Mark Stuart didn't really score our winning goal at Old Trafford?

He sure did, but if you want to choose that one which one do you throw away from the list done by red robin?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chris Iwelumo away vs. Southampton. I lost my s***.
  • Options

Chris Iwelumo away vs. Southampton. I lost my s***.

I'm pretty sure that was 1 of 2 90th minute winners in a row
  • Options

4-4-2

Subs:

Stevie Brown
    Paul Mortimer

Over to you guys...

Great selection, but I have to question Chris Powell being in there - his goal against Coventry was essentially meaningless in the context of 'one-moment' - i.e. if it had been another player, it wouldn't have been remembered; we remember the goal because of the status Chris Powell had garnered over previous years.

And also - JONATHAN JOHANSSON DID NOT SCORE A HAT-TRICK. He scored 2, Jason Euell scored 2 against West Ham. It was Kitson for them who scored a hat trick (Defoe of course getting the other). Sorry for shouting; nobody seemed to have picked it up.
  • Options

4-4-2

Subs:

Stevie Brown
    Paul Mortimer

Over to you guys...

Great selection, but I have to question Chris Powell being in there - his goal against Coventry was essentially meaningless in the context of 'one-moment' - i.e. if it had been another player, it wouldn't have been remembered; we remember the goal because of the status Chris Powell had garnered over previous years.

And also - JONATHAN JOHANSSON DID NOT SCORE A HAT-TRICK. He scored 2, Jason Euell scored 2 against West Ham. It was Kitson for them who scored a hat trick (Defoe of course getting the other). Sorry for shouting; nobody seemed to have picked it up.
    I did wonder that about Powell but there was no other left back suggested.
  • Options
    Stone said:

I was there celebrating like mad when he scored it.
  • Options

4-4-2

Subs:

Stevie Brown
    Paul Mortimer

Over to you guys...

I did wonder that about Powell but there was no other left back suggested.
    When that goal went in, I think every Charlton supporter watching felt a big burst of happiness totally out of proportion to the importance of the goal. That's why I'm happy for it to be in the list.
  • Options

4-4-2

Subs:

Stevie Brown
    Paul Mortimer

Over to you guys...

Fortune for Newton in a 5-3-2 and I think it would be spot on. You can't leave Fortune out!
  • Options
    Double Act of El karkouri and the Big screen operator. That thunderbolt free kick was shown about 68 times in 3 minutes to a packed Jimmy Seed full of Gooners. Haha!!
  • Options
    Harriott Vs Barnsley ;-)
  • Options
    Any chance of a rethink @TheRedRobin.................Marvin Sordell up front winning goal at Hillsborough 21/04/14 :-)