Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So you'd like to be a clerk at the Bank of England in 1906?

This is one of the test papers you had to complete in order to be offered a job - there were others:

1. Define the geographical expressions Archipelago, Equator, Estuary and Isthmus. What is meant when a place is stated to be in Latitude 40º North and Longitude 20º East?

2. In what counties of the United Kingdom are the following cities and towns respectively situated, viz:- Bradford, Carlisle, Dundee, Grimsby, Hastings, Hull, Paisley, Reading, Tralee and Winchester?

3. Name in order the seas and straits which a vessel would traverse in sailing from Dover to Sebastopal.

4. Describe the positions of the following mountains:- The Alps, The Andes, The Caucasus, The Himalayas and The Pyrenees.

5. Where are the following islands and to what countries do they severally belong, viz:- Ceylon, Iceland, Madagascar, Malta and Trinidad?

6. Draw a map of Africa and show the positions of Alexandria, Algiers, Abyssinia, Cape Town and Nigeria.

7. State in their proper order from North to South, the countries of South America bordering the Pacific Ocean.

8. Trace the course of the following rivers: The Loire, The Mississippi, The Rhine, The Seine and The Vistula.

Can I just Google that? :-)

Comments

• Options
    and they say that the recent exams for school leavers haven't been dumbed down. I went to a grammar school & i'd struggle with some of those questions - I'd imagine that many 15-18 yr olds wouldn't have a clue.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Number 4 is easy.. Pointing up into the sky.

• Options
    Was this just for those wanting to work in the Currency Exchange?
  • Options
    Thankfully in this day and age we have more appropriate testing methods (for the most part).
  • Options
    Stig said:

Thankfully in this day and age we have more appropriate testing methods (for the most part).

Which consists of "can you press Ctrl, Alt and delete all at once ?"
  • Options

These days they employ just about anyone at the Bank of England

Bloody Canadians
  • Options

and they say that the recent exams for school leavers haven't been dumbed down. I went to a grammar school & i'd struggle with some of those questions - I'd imagine that many 15-18 yr olds wouldn't have a clue.

To be fair, this isn't a school exam... and the difficulty of the questions says nothing about how easy people may have found it. As in, you've said that current 15-18 year olds wouldn't have a clue - these questions don't prove that 15-18 year olds back then did.
  • Options

To be fair, this isn't a school exam... and the difficulty of the questions says nothing about how easy people may have found it. As in, you've said that current 15-18 year olds wouldn't have a clue - these questions don't prove that 15-18 year olds back then did.
    Remember, around 1906 the school leaving age was 12, I believe.

Many kids younger than that missed long periods of schooling because their parents needed them to work to vitally supplement the meagre family income.

Any child beyond the age of 12 continued their education only because of family privilege and means.

• Options

They employed me a few years back and I'm a idiot.... Job for life if you get in there though

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blinkant said:

They employed me a few years back and I'm a idiot.... Job for life if you get in there though

An idiot ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2014
  • Options
    No wonder the Pound has been going south for more than a century.
    Seems they were more interested in explorers (geography) than economists and mathematicians.
  • Options
    Sounds more like a test to become a geography teacher.
  • Options

I went to a grammar school & i'd struggle with some of those questions

oo err, went to a grammar school did you?
  • Options

Even Canadians!
  • Options

Stig said:

Which consists of "can you press Ctrl, Alt and delete all at once ?"
    Answer: why would I want to? I've got a Mac.