Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

WiFi testing begins at The Valley

Testing starts tonight and is piloting in the North Stand first.

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20140804-wi-fi-testing-begins-at-the-valley-1474983.aspx

Glad we didn't do it on Saturday...don't think I would have enjoyed seeing all my horses falling over themselves in the National!

Comments

• Options
    "Supporters in the North Stand who are on the club’s database will receive an email instruction on how to connect before the match, and will be the first to be able to trial the service on Tuesday evening when the testing process begins."

Any idea how to get on the database? I want in on this!
  • Options
    They definately seem to be listening on the "match day experience" front.
  • Options
    Good news. Matchday experience is such a big aspect of live sport these days so it's good to see Charlton getting in on the act.
  • Options
    Interesting. Hopefully, with everyone connecting, there won't be a speed issue.
  • Options
    What are the logistics of something like this? Does it involve some kind of super router/a network of routers/something more complicated? Must be very difficult to provide fast flowing Internet access to thousands of people-my router struggles with just a few people on it. Will we all get a reset router button under our seats? :)
  • Options
    Improving the matchday experience by making sure people can watch something other than the match. Only at Charlton!
  • Options
    Not knowing the feasibility and costings but I have wondered why a company like BT hasn't got a deal with clubs or indeed the FA or FL to provide stadium wifi.
  • Options

Not knowing the feasibility and costings but I have wondered why a company like BT hasn't got a deal with clubs or indeed the FA or FL to provide stadium wifi.

I think it will start going that way. Wembley now have EE as a major sponsor, and have rolled out a matchday day app that gives travel info, match stats, etc etc and can only see more people jumping on the bandwagon
  • Options
    Jodaius said:

Improving the matchday experience by making sure people can watch something other than the match. Only at Charlton!

Or not http://digital-football.com/featured/the-connected-football-stadium-wifi-twitter-boards/

Its about the ability to engage and COMMUNICATE with fans. Lets not diss them for doing something we constant tell them to do.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shouldn't be too hard, places like Westfield Stratford have free wifi covering the whole area, which is much larger than a football stadium, and that runs at all times with hardly a hitch. And that can cope with thousands of people connecting at any one time too, so 10000 people at the valley shouldn't be an issue
  • Options
    DRF said:

Jodaius said:

Or not http://digital-football.com/featured/the-connected-football-stadium-wifi-twitter-boards/

Its about the ability to engage and COMMUNICATE with fans. Lets not diss them for doing something we constant tell them to do.

It will also give the ability for matchday apps, that could include instant replays of the action, match stats, team lineups etc.
  • Options
    Has anyone actually tried to stream a video on public wifi? Whatever we have I'm sure it'll be enough to scroll through and send a tweet or a Facebook status or check match stats or the other scores, but it won't be good enough to stream or even watch something else.
  • Options
    Good idea but If it's as bad as The Cloud i wont bother.
  • Options

if it remains free then great, if not, then anyone prepared to pay for wifi access for a couple of hours during a football game seriously needs to check into a social media / internet addiction clinic forthwith !

Spot on

See plenty of people now heads buried in there phones this will make it worse
  • Options
    You can't really knock them for this whilst its free. In the summer when you're all told it's a £100 bolt on to your season ticket price, then you can knock them :)
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Stig said:

They definately seem to be listening on the "match day experience" front.

Never - they are all wonkers, everyone knows that they are only here to shaft us and sail us down the Meuse
  • Options
    edited April 2014

if it remains free then great, if not, then anyone prepared to pay for wifi access for a couple of hours during a football game seriously needs to check into a social media / internet addiction clinic forthwith !

I am an avid user of social media, but even if it is free I have my doubts. Why on earth would you need some other distraction while you are watching the game (yeah, alright I know...)? The scores from other matches are available at half time, can't people have a couple of hours concentrating on one thing?
  • Options
    Good to see that the most pressing issues at the club are getting sorted out first.
  • Options

What are the logistics of something like this? Does it involve some kind of super router/a network of routers/something more complicated? Must be very difficult to provide fast flowing Internet access to thousands of people-my router struggles with just a few people on it. Will we all get a reset router match button under our seats? :)

There. Think that might be more useful :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    vff said:

Good to see that the most pressing issues at the club are getting sorted out first.

Can't sort out players, now the window has shut and can't sort out the pitch until the end of the season.

Planning application for the new Sparrows Lane complex is in and they're working on different strands at once. Some will be behind the scenes, some will impact us on a match day.

Really can't see how this is something to moan about.
  • Options
    What's WiFi?

Is it the new Mexican Hotdogs they're selling around the ground?
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

vff said:

Can't sort out players, now the window has shut and can't sort out the pitch until the end of the season.

Planning application for the new Sparrows Lane complex is in and they're working on different strands at once. Some will be behind the scenes, some will impact us on a match day.

You are obviously not a true charlton fan, there is nothing a true charlton fan will not moan about. :-)
  • Options

DRF said:

Jodaius said:

It will also give the ability for matchday apps, that could include instant replays of the action, match stats, team lineups etc.
    indeed. Burnley run a "PIEAPP" (kid you not) where you can order your halftime pie via the app and it gets delivered to your seat.
  • Options
    Used to quite enjoy walking away from the ground with a radio pressed to my ear trying to figure out what the other results were and how the table was shaking up. There was a feeling of discovery about it. Now everyone needs to have everything instant;y. People have a hissy fit if they can't see an instagram of a player's piss sample before it cools. To be fair the club is only reacting to demand, but I don't get what the problem was with going to a match and watching it.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

TelMc32 said:

vff said:

You are obviously not a true charlton fan, there is nothing a true charlton fan will not moan about. :-)
    You don't have to sit next to him.
  • Options

Used to quite enjoy walking away from the ground with a radio pressed to my ear trying to figure out what the other results were and how the table was shaking up. There was a feeling of discovery about it. Now everyone needs to have everything instant;y. People have a hissy fit if they can't see an instagram of a player's piss sample before it cools. To be fair the club is only reacting to demand, but I don't get what the problem was with going to a match and watching it.

Wont the camera lens steam up if you don't let the piss cool first?
  • Options
    DRF said:

Wont the camera lens steam up if you don't let the piss cool first?
    No,'cos you use the I-lenswarmer app
  • Options

DRF said:

Jodaius said:

indeed. Burnley run a "PIEAPP" (kid you not) where you can order your halftime pie via the app and it gets delivered to your seat.
    sorry i was incorrect. its not delivered to your seat. it is in fact guaranteed to be waiting for you at a Pie collection point.

I-PIE - guarantees warm pastry pleasure to whippet fanciers young n old

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/thetoepoke/id/4391