Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Contracts?

After our recent resurgence and slow climb up the table WHY have more players not been given extended contracts?
Was the JJ & RW New deals just a 'smokescreen' surely after last night's performance our number 1 Ben Hamer deserves a new deal along with MM, DD, LW, etc. These players have really shown they love the club and enjoy playing with one and other. Come the end of the season and these contracts have not been resolved we could be right up the swanny.
There will be no shortage of teams waiting to 'snap' up our best players.
Wouldn't it be a great incentive to offer these new deals even with a proviso that it is if we stay in the championship.
Come on Roland, get your cheque book out and reward our boys.

Comments

• Can't argue with that, but some will :-0
  • Wilson is under contract for another season.

Morgan Fox has said he's in talks, I'd imagine other players are as well. Two games a week probably isn't helping but I'm sure more will sign even if it doesn't happen until the season has ended.
  • edited April 2014
    I'd only keep:

Hamer
    Wilson
    Solly
    Morrison
    Wiggins
    Cousins
    Poyet
    Jackson
    Ajderevic
    Harriott
    Reza

Get rid of the rest.

Sign: Maguire and a load more
  • What no Dervite:-(
  • Wilson, Solly, Wiggins, Cousins, Jackson, Harriot and Reza have got contracts passed this season.
  • After our recent resurgence and slow climb up the table WHY have more players not been given extended contracts?
    Was the JJ & RW New deals just a 'smokescreen' surely after last night's performance our number 1 Ben Hamer deserves a new deal along with MM, DD, LW, etc. These players have really shown they love the club and enjoy playing with one and other. Come the end of the season and these contracts have not been resolved we could be right up the swanny.
    There will be no shortage of teams waiting to 'snap' up our best players.
    Wouldn't it be a great incentive to offer these new deals even with a proviso that it is if we stay in the championship.
    Come on Roland, get your cheque book out and reward our boys.

We don't really know what division we will be in yet & a good chunk of this team is not good enough for this League - Which is one of the reasons we are in a relegation struggle.
  • Unfortunately, I expect that most players will want to see what division we are in next year before signing anything - why sign now when you might want to go on a free (and so get an extra big contract with your new club) in just a matter of weeks?

I suspect that the only way that you could get anyone to sign is to overpay them, which would not be in anyone's interests.

So really the only thing to do is wait until things are clearer at the end of the season.
  • How do we know that contracts haven't been offered and not signed? Also, some may have been tapped up already. Speculation and worry are pointless. I'm not going to say "in Roland we trust" because we obviously don't but I think we just have to wait and see whilst giving all the support we can to the survival effort on the pitch.
  • Sponsored links:

• I would be amazed if agents haven't been approached/sounded out about potential new deals but in our current situation neither RD nor the players are likely to be signing anything til the dust clears and the relagation situation is resolved, one way or the other. It will be very interesting/foreboding/exciting depending on just how much personal influence RD brings in opposed to leaving it to Riga/KM and co to sort out I think - we'll begin to really see what his plans actually are.
  • It's strange if players are waiting to see what division we are in because if we are to remain in the championship I suspect the club will ditch most as they were not good enough but if we go down they will look for a move as they won't want to play in league one .

Either way , most will be leaving.
  • Contract talks are ongoing, Bradley Jordan not been offered one.

One young/ around first team player currently in negotiations, and another finds out tomorrow if he is being offered one or not.
  • Not surprised about Jordan, didn't work out for him at Notts County and Poyet is younger but pushed on ahead of him.
  • reserves said:

Contract talks are ongoing, Bradley Jordan not been offered one.

One young/ around first team player currently in negotiations, and another finds out tomorrow if he is being offered one or not.

Really not surprised about Bradley Jordan either... the Forest Green loan deal certainly felt like a move that puts him in the shop window rather than going once again to a League One club to see how he progresses before deciding whether he is good enough for us

Wonder if Jordan Cook is the one finding out... What's happened to him anyway as he hasnt been appearing for the U21s
  • Opinions of Dervite round here really do fluctuate. I like him. He's a mountain, he's good with the ball at his feet and he pops up with a few goals. You can find plenty of threads calling him pony though, far more than you would the likes of Morro, Wood or Cort. It was around this time last year that Dervite (temporarily) became the indispensable partner to Morro; maybe he just loves an end of season scrap
  • Dervite has only ever been 'pony', in my opinion, when played in midfield. ok he has had a couple of dodgy games at CB but who hasn't, see 30m rated David Luiz last night, but he's decent at this level and I hope he stays.
  • reserves said:

Really not surprised about Bradley Jordan either... the Forest Green loan deal certainly felt like a move that puts him in the shop window rather than going once again to a League One club to see how he progresses before deciding whether he is good enough for us

Wonder if Jordan Cook is the one finding out... What's happened to him anyway as he hasnt been appearing for the U21s
    I really doubt that jordan cook will be offered a new one, he's 24 and so overage for u21s if the club wants to get injured first team players fit etc.
  • reserves said:

I really doubt that jordan cook will be offered a new one, he's 24 and so overage for u21s if the club wants to get injured first team players fit etc.
    Bloody heck didnt realise he was so old now... Yup he needs to go for the sake of his career
  • Opinions of Dervite round here really do fluctuate. I like him. He's a mountain, he's good with the ball at his feet and he pops up with a few goals. You can find plenty of threads calling him pony though, far more than you would the likes of Morro, Wood or Cort. It was around this time last year that Dervite (temporarily) became the indispensable partner to Morro; maybe he just loves an end of season scrap

Think opinions have fluctuated on here beacuse his contributions have massively fluctuated during his time at the club.

He showed at the end of last year and again in recent weeks this year that when given playing time and confidence in the right position he is a quality player at this level but that said he is ppor in midfield and hasnt had full consistent seasons (like cort last year and morro both champ years)

A few moths ago id have said let him go but on recent form has made himself a definate for a contract in my eyes.

If he does get/sign a contract he needs to cement his place and have a full consistent season next year
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2014
    Interesting that Riga recently heaped some praise on him (DD) and said he has quality but just needs to assert himself more. Mind games play a big part in players performances and the best at that was Cloughie who put together a squad of journeymen pros at Forest late 70s and told them they were world beaters. Not quite but they did win the old Second Division (championship) then the 1st Division (premiership) and back to back European Cups when Liverpool were in their hey day. CP was a good man manager and JR also has a penchant for getting his players to think positively from what I have read. Wonder if AFKA can get him to write a piece on here for the doomsters an gloomsters :-0
  • I prefer Dervitte to Wood personally - but I know they are both decent. I think ideally we would want to keep the defence - thinking that we also have Solly to add to that mix and some good prospects coming through.

We need to look at midfield and the strikers - If Poyet signs - I can only see a Poyet/Cousins partnership getting better and better until it is soon the best in the division. We do need some qulaity attacking width - Harriot may be the answer, but there has to be a doubt seeing as he hasn't moved on significantly from last season.

And we need strikers who know where the goal is. But if we can sign up the existing players, I don't think we need major surgery.
  • ross1 said:

Wilson, Solly, Wiggins, Cousins, Jackson, Harriot and Reza have got contracts passed this season.

and Pete the Pole AND Spongefoot.

• Hamer's response when asked by the club's first lady about signing a new contract:

@Suzysue8 you'd have to ask that question to the powers at be.

— Ben Hamer (@BenHamer21) April 2, 2014

Hurry up Monsieur Duchatelet!!!
  • Hamer's response when asked by the club's first lady about signing a new contract:

Exactly my original point. He doesn't sound like there's anything on the table. I think even worst case scenario Benny boy would want to stay as long as the nucleus of the squad stayed together (the better players obviously)
    I am struggling to understand RD's logic at the moment!!

Clearly Hamer failed the RD grammar test, as it should be the powers that be :-)

Unless powers at be is actually referring the the powers at beard, and his beard is now acting as his agent...
  • You could read BH's response in a couple of ways - maybe he has been offered a contract and not agreed it yet or maybe he has been told he will be offered one in the summer.

Either way, it would not exactly be good politics for him to say something along the lines of "well, I have been offered a few thousand pounds a week to stay, but I love CAFC so much that I want to get some more out of them, or else, I'm off" would it? Much better to say something vague and get the fans to put pressure on the club.

In the middle of a relegation fight, when you have no opportunity to buy replacement players, is not the time to be negotiating long term deals - too many if' sand maybe's. This should have all been sorted before RD even arrived, but now, unfortunately, the best thing to do is probably wait until the Summer.
  • Once our future is settled all contracts will be sorted. If we are in this division expect all the players we want to sign signed even Poyet. If we are relegated most of those out of contract will leave or be offered greatly reduced contracts.

At the moment baring injury it probably suits both Parties to wait.
  • reserves said:

Not Cook.
  • Decisions are being made for sure.

Another U21 currently on loan (never played first team) has been told yesterday there will not be a new contract for him.