Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Southeastern train disruption (franchise to be taken over by Govt p191)

Comments

• Options
    Why do they have summer and winter timetables anyway?
  • Options
    Signal failure again at Barnhurst
  • Options
    I've only started getting the train since Monday and every day there has been delays so far. Fun times.
  • Options

Good question. I have wondered about that too.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Good question. I have wondered about that too.
    Southeastern: "Because... because fuck you!" (*draws blinds and puts the kettle back on*)
  • Options

Railway companies have traditionally all changed their timetables on the same date every year to avoid chaos. But an extra date is added every six months to allow for more minor or urgent changes. A bit like the January transfer window.

Don't think it's anything more sinister than that!
  • Options

Railway companies have traditionally all changed their timetables on the same date every year to avoid chaos. But an extra date is added every six months to allow for more minor or urgent changes. A bit like the January transfer window.

Yeah - but why? Why not just keep the same timetable in Summer and Winter?
  • Options

What's their excuse for the other 364 days of the year?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Grrrr. When they spent all that money on the undercut (that hasn’t improved anything) outside LB, they should have sorted out the junction outsideLewisham also. Takes 10 minutes to get through it at the best of times.
    Tonight 25 minutes.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Grrrr. When they spent all that money on the undercut (that hasn’t improved anything) outside LB, they should have sorted out the junction outsideLewisham also. Takes 10 minutes to get through it at the best of times.
    Tonight 25 minutes.

Ahem, Diveunder.

NB, This whole exercise was based around improving the Thameslink service. Us mere mortals commuting from the suburbs didn't even enter the equation.
  • Options
    I can now go to Luton a few tunes a day without changing.

Hooray
  • Options

Tonight 25 minutes.

In 20 years of commuting I've never known it so bad. They have just pushed the congestion down to the bottleneck at Lewisham.

Other than a Saturday morning recently my train has been delayed by 5 or 10 minutes arriving at Charing Cross 4 out of 5 days on both legs of the journey for months.

Arriving within 5 minutes of the scheduled time is an exception rather than a rule. Surely not an acceptable way to run a service that costs me just shy of £500 a month and due to rise in a few weeks.

They have the cheek to thank you for travelling with them as if any rational non- sado machoist would choose to if it wasn't a captive market.

No one accountable because you can't moan about it to the poor staff you have contact with because they have about as much influence on the service as Radostan Kishishev.

New years resolution is to just accept it and stopped getting the hump because it's futile.

Hopefully the xxxxs will get karmic comeuppance one day but doubt it.

Gotta go as pulling into stop only 9 minutes late today which is a result

• Options
    what gets me is when they just straight forward blame network rail
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Trains have been crap all week. Always delays because of congestion getting into London Bridge when I am on trains getting into London around 9:30. Thankfully I do different shifts each week so I miss out on the chaos around rush hour.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

Trains have been crap all week. Always delays because of congestion getting into London Bridge when I am on trains getting into London around 9:30. Thankfully I do different shifts each week so I miss out on the chaos around rush hour.

Thameslink have been punished by capping their profits for the next three years to a fixed amount.
    Fair enough - but now they have no incentive whatsoever to do anything better!

No one accountable in any way for anything. No wonder it's crap.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

1StevieG said:

Thameslink have been punished by capping their profits for the next three years to a fixed amount.

I like the Thameslink service as it goes direct to City Thameslink, a nice 1 min walk to my office. But the trains, new as they are, are freezing cold as cold air blowers are still operating. The seats are rock hard and uncomfortable. Plus I keep getting held up going home as my train is always stuck behind a late running Southeastern service. But at least I avoid the scrum at Cannon Street every evening, which is a bonus!

Edit to add: Thameslink also pay out for delays after 15 mins, not the 30 mins on Southeastern.
  • Options
    Wilma said:

1StevieG said:

I like the Thameslink service as it goes direct to City Thameslink, a nice 1 min walk to my office. But the trains, new as they are, are freezing cold as cold air blowers are still operating. The seats are rock hard and uncomfortable. Plus I keep getting held up going home as my train is always stuck behind a late running Southeastern service. But at least I avoid the scrum at Cannon Street every evening, which is a bonus!

Edit to add: Thameslink also pay out for delays after 15 mins, not the 30 mins on Southeastern.
    What I'll say about Thameslink is that they go everywhere, I know people that come out in a cold sweat if a change has to be made and often with good reason!

Problem is, because they stop everywhere it is bloody easy to fall asleep on them and end up at Luton Airport or Brighton when the previous worst was Dover Priory or Faversham!
  • Options
    edited December 2018

So they know whether to blame delays on either the rails being too wet from rain/snow in winter or the sun getting in the drivers' eyes in summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

"Each December and May, train operating companies and Network Rail, which owns the UK's railway lines, publish updated timetables.

These changes, often by just a couple of minutes, may seem baffling to commuters who depend on being on the right platform at the right time each morning. But maintenance work , service alterations and seasonal pressures - at peak leaves-on-the-line times, some trains have to leave up to four minutes earlier - all mean the giant jigsaw that is the national railway schedule needs to be regularly adjusted.

Additionally, since 2004, an EU directive has required member states to change their timetables on the same date in December to prevent clashes between networks."
  • Options
    More depressing news
    The long delayed and disrupted process to award a new franchise to operate Southeastern rail services will likely cost the public purse £6.5 million by the time it’s awarded in 2019.

This week the Rail Minister confirmed another delay until 2019. Originally the franchise was intended to end in 2012 but has seen numerous short term extensions resulting in minimal investment.

http://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2018/12/06/cost-to-taxpayer-of-disrupted-southeastern-franchise-process-to-hit-6-5-million/
  • Options

"Each December and May, train operating companies and Network Rail, which owns the UK's railway lines, publish updated timetables.

These changes, often by just a couple of minutes, may seem baffling to commuters who depend on being on the right platform at the right time each morning. But maintenance work , service alterations and seasonal pressures - at peak leaves-on-the-line times, some trains have to leave up to four minutes earlier - all mean the giant jigsaw that is the national railway schedule needs to be regularly adjusted.

Additionally, since 2004, an EU directive has required member states to change their timetables on the same date in December to prevent clashes between networks."
    #teambrexit
  • Options
    I've long campaigned for control of our own borders, and control of our own train times
  • Options
    so collectively last week delays totalling 6 hours - bearing in mind my commute is 47 mins each way, they have the audacity to offer me £6.00 in compensation fucking jokers might just return the cheque; keep it you cunts and put it towards some new signals
  • Options
    They get a whistle? I might apply.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

They get a whistle? I might apply.

Not straight away, it takes about six months before they are issued with one.

• Options
    Yep, facked again tonight. Signal failures Blahdy blah....