Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Southeastern train disruption (franchise to be taken over by Govt p191)

Comments

• Options
    cafcbrown said:

Does anyone commute using the high speed into St Pancras? I currently work 15 minute drive from home but have been offered a new job working in London. I haven't commuted now for 7 years but the salary increase on the new job is well worth the commute. I would be travelling from Strood, and when I have got the high speed for meetings in the past it always seems to run ok and mostly on time!

Do people think the high speed is worth the extra money per year?

Cheers

Don't personally, but my boss does. He goes from Ashford to Stratford International and says it's well worth the extra cost.
  • Options
    cafcbrown said:

Does anyone commute using the high speed into St Pancras? I currently work 15 minute drive from home but have been offered a new job working in London. I haven't commuted now for 7 years but the salary increase on the new job is well worth the commute. I would be travelling from Strood, and when I have got the high speed for meetings in the past it always seems to run ok and mostly on time!

Cheers

If you actually work at St Pancras I'd be very tempted to use HS1 even though it costs more

If you use the normal trains, apart from the extra time, you'd have to pay extra to use the tube from London Bridge anyway
  • Options
    Thanks guys, the job is in ludgate hill, so my normal route when I go there is high speed - St Pancras, then jump on the thameslink 2 stops to city thameslink, which I believe you can do on a yearly return to London terminals for no extra.
  • Options

cafcbrown said:

Cheers

I'd stick with the regular Southeastern trains if I were you, you'll be fine.
    Yeah......... reading this thread, I am not convinced !
  • Options
    cafcbrown said:

Cheers

I commute in from Strood myself and have used the High Speed a few times...

Definitely worth using it if you can afford it - I'd use it more, the only reason I don't is because the train times from St. Pancras mean Id get home later using it than using the one from Cannon Street
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    cafcbrown said:

Cheers

Girlfriend (and her mum) use it from Chatham/Gillingham they say it's pretty good. Much nicer than normal South eastern trains and get given priority on lines when there is congestion. If you can pay the extra cost then do.

One point what time will you be getting the train. If you're before 7 there are usually enough seats. After 7 they say getting on at Gills there is very few seats left so doubt there will be any by the time it's also done Chatham & Rochester.

Maybe give it a trial run or 2 at the time you want to assess whether you are likely to get a seat.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

By 9.30am I’d already covered the full spectrum of emotions since leaving the house this morning.

First of all, the usual combination of rage, disgust and loathing as I wedged myself onto the late-running 8.30 service from St Johns to Cannon Street. I don’t usually get this one, and was surprised to find that the stupid c*%ts at South Eastern would run an 8 carriage train at the height of the rush hour. It was dangerously overcrowded and, as we enjoyed the view of Millwall’s ground from our stationary train, I also got to witness one bloke trying to help his missus not faint while other passengers tried to comfort a woman who seemed to be on the verge of having a panic attack. Obviously it goes without saying that we received no apology or explanation for the delay or the overcrowding. By the time we made it to Cannon Street I was seething with fury. One of the South Eastern gimps was letting people through a gate next to the barriers, but checking tickets as they went through. So I walked through and made a point of not showing my ticket, and he shouted something at me as I disappeared into the distance. That is what I’m reduced to these days, token minor acts of defiance.

Anyway, from anger to ecstasy when I got to work. For the 12 years I’ve been with my current employer, there has been constant speculation regarding the fact that the lease on our Kingsway office is up in 2019, and we’re obliged to find new premises. Today we found out where our new home will be from Summer 2019 – Canary Wharf.

I have a number of options to cover the 3.6 mile journey from St Johns to CW.

1. I can stroll down to Deptford Bridge or Elverson Road, 12-14 minutes on the DLR.
    2. I could cycle down to Greenwich and through the foot tunnel.
    3. I could wander down to the river and jump on the Thames Clipper
    4. If it’s a really nice day, I could just walk it in about 45 minutes.

I’m not sure which option I’ll go for, but what I won’t be doing is mortgaging my internal organs to pay for an extortionate season ticket on C%*tEastern Trains just for the right to use their shitehouse semi-mobile misery cages anymore.

Today is a day for triumph, a day for kissing and hugging people that you wouldn’t normally kiss and hug. Well that’s what I thought, but apparently that can actually be construed as indecent assault and under no circumstances am allowed to make physical contact with the attractive Lithuanian receptionist, no matter how “celebratory” I’m feeling.

Shitehouse semi-mobile misery cages.

What a line. Incredible.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrLargo said:

Macronate said:

MrLargo said:

By 9.30am I’d already covered the full spectrum of emotions since leaving the house this morning.

First of all, the usual combination of rage, disgust and loathing as I wedged myself onto the late-running 8.30 service from St Johns to Cannon Street. I don’t usually get this one, and was surprised to find that the stupid c*%ts at South Eastern would run an 8 carriage train at the height of the rush hour. It was dangerously overcrowded and, as we enjoyed the view of Millwall’s ground from our stationary train, I also got to witness one bloke trying to help his missus not faint while other passengers tried to comfort a woman who seemed to be on the verge of having a panic attack. Obviously it goes without saying that we received no apology or explanation for the delay or the overcrowding. By the time we made it to Cannon Street I was seething with fury. One of the South Eastern gimps was letting people through a gate next to the barriers, but checking tickets as they went through. So I walked through and made a point of not showing my ticket, and he shouted something at me as I disappeared into the distance. That is what I’m reduced to these days, token minor acts of defiance.

Anyway, from anger to ecstasy when I got to work. For the 12 years I’ve been with my current employer, there has been constant speculation regarding the fact that the lease on our Kingsway office is up in 2019, and we’re obliged to find new premises. Today we found out where our new home will be from Summer 2019 – Canary Wharf.

I have a number of options to cover the 3.6 mile journey from St Johns to CW.

1. I can stroll down to Deptford Bridge or Elverson Road, 12-14 minutes on the DLR.
    2. I could cycle down to Greenwich and through the foot tunnel.
    3. I could wander down to the river and jump on the Thames Clipper
    4. If it’s a really nice day, I could just walk it in about 45 minutes.

I’m not sure which option I’ll go for, but what I won’t be doing is mortgaging my internal organs to pay for an extortionate season ticket on C%*tEastern Trains just for the right to use their shitehouse semi-mobile misery cages anymore.

Today is a day for triumph, a day for kissing and hugging people that you wouldn’t normally kiss and hug. Well that’s what I thought, but apparently that can actually be construed as indecent assault and under no circumstances am allowed to make physical contact with the attractive Lithuanian receptionist, no matter how “celebratory” I’m feeling.

Genuinely disappointed to read about your good news.
    Don't worry mate, I've still got a year and a half to get through. Every chance that I'll lose the plot at some point and get sectioned for aggravated assault of a 376 Electrostar. I'll lose my job, and with a criminal conviction and a history of anger management issues, the only job I'll be able to get will involve getting the train to East Minster every morning be driving trains

I'm happy today, but it's a long walk to freedom.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
  • Options

1StevieG said:

Trains cancelled into London this morning from Orpington. So far this week not one journey has been on time. And on the radio they are talking about the amount of hours lost in traffic jams in this country well they should take a look at the average hours lost on the poxy trains.

It is only Tuesday.
    3/3 journeys late is 100% shit service.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Don't worry mate, I've still got a year and a half to get through. Every chance that I'll lose the plot at some point and get sectioned for aggravated assault of a 376 Electrostar. I'll lose my job, and with a criminal conviction and a history of anger management issues, the only job I'll be able to get will involve getting the train to East Minster every morning.

Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    cafcbrown said:

Thanks guys, the job is in ludgate hill, so my normal route when I go there is high speed - St Pancras, then jump on the thameslink 2 stops to city thameslink, which I believe you can do on a yearly return to London terminals for no extra.

It's the way it choose to go, costs are extortionate but, and the big but. You will be on a nice train, it hardly ever gets delayed, seats are becoming more of a premium and getting on at Strood you will run the risk of not getting a seat as canters said, before 7 you are ok, but after it is pretty packed at Chatham so by the time the service is at Strood it can be standing room only. which would really piss me off if I'd paid over 5 grand for a season
  • Options
    My f**king train dont have the heating on when its freezing inside and out - What the hell?
  • Options

My f**king train dont have the heating on when its freezing inside and out - What the hell?

Wait until mid summer
    Im trying to work out whats more fun, the heating or the door behind me that keeps opening and closing!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    when

Snap, 3 out of the 4 toilets are locked since SE haven't addressed the technical fault they developed 3 months ago. And to top it all I'm sitting next to a cretin who hasn't learned to blow his nose and is sniffing every 10 seconds - perfect start to the weekend.
  • Options

Reminds me of when my train came in on the wrong platform some years ago, on the way to London. As I was at the bottom of the stairs with about 10 people still trailing me, the guard or driver shouted at me to get a move on. I replied there are plenty of people behind me & why not try coming in on the right fookin platform. The train didn't move and the driver/guard found me and said the train wouldn't move until I got off. I said I'm going nowhere. We sat there for about 5 mins & everyone hid behind their newspapers. The train set off after about 10 mins. Aaagghhh.

Aaah !

The same old Covered End that Kitty learnt to love !

:wink:
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

I warned you Canters. 6 months in and you're already a broken, bitter, angry shadow of your former self, just as I predicted.

You need to start fighting back:

-Leave bits of chewing gum on the handle to the drivers cabin.
    - Queue up at one of their meet the manager sessions just to call one of the managers a twat, then flick him in the bollocks and walk off.
    -Annoy ticket inspectors by presenting them with a huge wad of old tickets with your ticket for today hidden somewhere in the middle.
    - leave a bag of dog turds at the far end of the platform, then direct platform staff towards this "suspicious package".

Just a few examples. This is a war, do not let them beat you.

Or vote differently in the next election and get the government to accept responsibility for making your life a misery.
  • Options
    Every franchise is the same. Doesn't matter who takes over. Increased demand on Victorian infrastructure will never work. People want more trains an hour and then wonder why the back log around hither green/Lewisham. More trains cannot be accommodated. They need a tube station somewhere like Lewisham which will take the demand off the trains. Crossrail won't make a difference to the packed cattle trains on the Sidcup, Bexleyheath and Hayes line. Will maybe only change the Woolwich line.

Unfortunately there is no short term fix at all. Just look at similar TOC's who have the same demands as SE. Southern, SW, Thameslink, c2c are all crap.
  • Options
    Pre-Brexit planning by the Germans has closed London city Airport. I look forward to reading the stories of how it’s had a knock on effect on southeastern railways.
  • Options

Pre-Brexit planning by the Germans has closed London city Airport. I look forward to reading the stories of how it’s had a knock on effect on southeastern railways.

My local franchise SWT was recently replaced by SWR ("slightly worse railway"). Same trains, same pathetic web site, same disillusioned staff doing exactly what they are told by the regulator.

They've been forced to implement delay repay which means season ticket holders no longer get automatic refunds and you have to apply for each journey via a web system which might have been put together by a child. Delay repay doesn't even apply when there are no trains at all and you can't travel. No one seems to know what to do when that happens.

The main difference since the change is that the profits now go to different share holders. So part of my fare ends up in some other pension fund to what it did before - who cares!