Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Southeastern train disruption (franchise to be taken over by Govt p191)

Comments

• Options
    My sis in law, who works at Canon St, visits my ma in law, who lives in Woolwich, every week.

She's been using the DLR for about 1 year now & I think there's hardly ever a delay.

(Presumably she would have to pay the fare whichever route she used, as she normally commutes from Byfleet to Cannon St).
  • Options
    All this coming from their Twitter page yet there is a Freight train that has broken down at Gillingham (Country Bound only / London bound is fine).

Most trains will terminate @ Dartford on the mainline whilst buses will run from Ebbsfleet to Gillingham calling at all stations (although only two buses on route from Gillingham).

If you dont have a Season Ticket for the High Speed then you will have to pay for an upgrade as they wont let you on the High Speed with your standard ticket... Another train is on route to Gillingham to try and help the broken down train into a depot (which when done means that the Gillingham line can re-open) but notice the word try.
  • Options
    Broken down train has now been moved but expect disruptions back up the lines.
  • Options
    For all those training it to game today, all lines are currently shanked due to a trespasser.
  • Options
    Shanked????
  • Options
    All ok now
  • Options
    For anyone struggling to get to work on the Sidcup line to Cannon Street today, you might want to watch BBC2 at 9 o'clock tonight.

World's Busiest Railway 2015 filmed at Mumbai station.

Makes getting to London Bridge look an absolute doddle.
  • Options
    Good Luck getting home everyone! (F*** Sake!!)
  • Options
    oh you are kidding me?? Not tonight.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Charing Cross got slight delays....but Cannon Street is fucked.
  • Options
    Broken down train between LB and Cannon Street.

Been moved but delays of up to an hour because of it.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Just came home from CX all ok on the misery line. Picked up a CS train at Hither Green, but only one or two people clinging to the outside.
  • Options
    Cannon st unless resolved going to be painful in next hour.

Currently on an Eltham train
  • Options

Cannon st unless resolved going to be painful in next hour.

Currently on an Eltham train

Just hold your nose and bear it mate.
  • Options
    Think SouthEastern should take a leaf out the Indian railways book and do away with the doors, they would get far more people on, and you can detrain a lot quicker too. They could weld some handles on the outside too.

All this poncing about standing by the doors, just to first up the stairs at New Eltham in case a 321 is coming, that would put a stop to that malarkey.

Every man for himself I say!

Only one more week of this, thank God.

I see the Bermondsey Dive Under is shaping up well.
  • Options
    Saw the disruption and left work early last night. Got to Cannon St about 4.50 and there were a few trains in the station but nothing showing on the boards. Everything was just 'Delayed'. First train to be announced was, fortunately for me, mine and I jumped on it. It was the 4.24 and it left Cannon St at ~5.00, arriving at Welling ~5.45. And I consider myself lucky!
  • Options
    If you're reasonably healthy why not cycle?
    A 10 mile commute should only take about an hour, or less.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:

How about no.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

iainment said:

I'd quite like to stay reasonably healthy and getting on London's roads on a bike seems to be pretty much tantamount to suicide these days!

Plus the very first thing I'd have to do each morning is ride up Shooters Hill and I'm not sure I could face that!

You can ride round it and through plumstead.
  • Options
    I used to think cycling was a mad idea but now I couldn't face using public transport except occasionally. The roads are not that dangerous if you ride appropriately.
    Anyway it was just a suggestion
  • Options
    iainment said:

I used to think cycling was a mad idea but now I couldn't face using public transport except occasionally. The roads are not that dangerous if you ride appropriately.

I would absolutely love to but I am terrified I would get killed, and I don't think there is anywhere for me to shower at work. I wouldn't do that commute in a suit, and I dunno how I would keep my suit/shirts in a good condition whilst commuting.

If you have any ideas (I literally don't know anyone who commutes by bike to ask about these issues) let me know, I would love to give it a try. From Greenwich to Ealing daily, now that would be fun!
  • Options
    It's doable but you should work up to it. I take a weeks worth of clothes in on a Monday and hang them up. I also have no showers at work and use babywipes to get clean. They are the commuters essential friend!
  • Options
    iainment said:

It's doable but you should work up to it. I take a weeks worth of clothes in on a Monday and hang them up. I also have no showers at work and use babywipes to get clean. They are the commuters essential friend!

Yuk.

NB One of my friends got knocked/came off his bike 3 times in the space of about 2 years.

Thanks but no thanks. I gave up bikes when I was 15.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

iainment said:

I would absolutely love to but I am terrified I would get killed, and I don't think there is anywhere for me to shower at work. I wouldn't do that commute in a suit, and I dunno how I would keep my suit/shirts in a good condition whilst commuting.

If you have any ideas (I literally don't know anyone who commutes by bike to ask about these issues) let me know, I would love to give it a try. From Greenwich to Ealing daily, now that would be fun!
    I don't know where you work but most companies have a shower available now for the cyclists and those who run to work, and even a locker.

When I cycle to work I carry a shirt in my rucksack with spare pants/socks, and keep shoes/trousers stashed at work.

When you buy a new shirt, keep the wrapping it comes in complete with the cardboard, and then iron your shirt, and wrap it back up in that and stick it in your rucksack. It does the trick for me.

I agree the traffic is shite, but you have ride defensively to get there in one piece.

• Options
    iainment said:

I run to work a couple of times a week. It's just over 10 miles (Bexley to Canary Wharf via Eltham, Kidbrooke, Greenwich Park and the Isle of Dogs). It's actually nice not to have to get on the train. It's harder in the winter months, but think it's much safer than cycling.
  • Options

iainment said:

I run to work a couple of times a week. It's just over 10 miles (Bexley to Canary Wharf via Eltham, Kidbrooke, Greenwich Park and the Isle of Dogs). It's actually nice not to have to get on the train. It's harder in the winter months, but think it's much safer than cycling.
    Takes an hour and a half though, not an hour. If I could do it in an hour I'd be much slimmer than I actually am.
  • Options

iainment said:

Takes an hour and a half though, not an hour. If I could do it in an hour I'd be much slimmer than I actually am.
    I may pass you as I go from plumstead to Greenwich and the isle of dogs up to hackney!