Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jose Riga -- He must be doing something right

Of course this turnaround might have happened with and have stared with CP as well, but personally I feel much less unhappy about JR joining us now than a few weeks ago. With very little time to change things around, results do seem to have turned around for the better. It may be down to something as simple as CP not begin the best motivator for players he was forced to accept -- and the recent episode with Thuram-Ullien also shows that JR won't pick someone that's not good enough.

I liked CP a lot, but I am slowly coming around to the thought that the change might have been for the better.

Comments

• Options
    There's no doubt performances have been better. I think that the new manager effect can't be underestimated, with players desperate to prove themselves, especially seeing what has happened to someone like Church in their minds. However I also think that Powell leaving will have taken a weight off the dressing room, who would have known that the relationship between him and the owner was terrible and were no doubt waiting for when it would finally blow up.
  • Options
    It's a combination of factors, as is often the case. Whatever game(s) on for Saturday and Tuesday and now we have real sniff of staying up.
  • Options
    There's been a massive turnaround.

If you told people just after the Sheffield game that we would be 3 points clear of relegation with a game in hand (after only 6 or so games) they'd laugh at you.
  • Options
    now to stop a 3-0 defeat on saturday for the third week in a row.
  • Options
    Its in our own hands and I think Riga has sussed the way to play this division-next two games we must firstly not get beat!
  • Options
    The love child of Harrison Ford and Alan Pardew is working wonders!
  • Options
    Addick90 said:

Wonder if we can move it to a weeknight...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Three wins and a draw in his first six. Big improvement not just in the results. We look a better side.
  • Options

Addick90 said:

Wonder if we can move it to a weeknight...
    As we play Yeovil and Barnsley mid week, I'd rather keep the 3-0 defeats for the weekend!
  • Options

Three wins and a draw in his first six. Big improvement not just in the results. We look a better side.

Three wins and two draws in his first seven.
  • Options
    But will he be in charge next season?
  • Options
    Interesting look at our Weekday fixtures as well... We've won seven games this season where they've not been played on a Saturday whilst we've only lost on four occasions (with one of them being in the League Cup)... and we've still another five matches midweek to come

Nottingham Forest (W : 1-0)
    AFC Bournemouth (W : 1-0)
    Sheffield Wednesday (W : 2-1 - FA Cup)
    Doncaster Rovers (L : 3-0)
    Oxford United (W : 3-0 - FA Cup)
    Oxford United (D : 2-2 - FA Cup)
    Ipswich Town (D : 1-1 - 3pm Kick-Off)
    Brighton and Hove Albion (W : 3-2 - Early Kick-Off)
    Reading (L : 1-0)
    Doncaster Rovers (W : 2-0)
    Nottingham Forest (D : 1-1)
    Huddersfield Town (L : 2-1)
    Huddersfield Town (L : 3-2 - League Cup)
    Oxford United (W : 4-0 - League Cup)
  • Options
    PL54 said:

SJR

My thoughts as well.. When will it happen officially?
  • Options

Interesting look at our Weekday fixtures as well... We've won seven games this season where they've not been played on a Saturday whilst we've only lost on four occasions (with one of them being in the League Cup)... and we've still another five matches midweek to come

Nottingham Forest (W : 1-0)
    AFC Bournemouth (W : 1-0)
    Sheffield Wednesday (W : 2-1 - FA Cup)
    Doncaster Rovers (L : 3-0)
    Oxford United (W : 3-0 - FA Cup)
    Oxford United (D : 2-2 - FA Cup)
    Ipswich Town (D : 1-1 - 3pm Kick-Off)
    Brighton and Hove Albion (W : 3-2 - Early Kick-Off)
    Reading (L : 1-0)
    Doncaster Rovers (W : 2-0)
    Nottingham Forest (D : 1-1)
    Huddersfield Town (L : 2-1)
    Huddersfield Town (L : 3-2 - League Cup)
    Oxford United (W : 4-0 - League Cup)

I think that's been more down to the quality of opposition played midweek, rather than something magical about Tuesday/Wednesday matches. We beat Leicester on a Saturday.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not out the woods yet but chances have significantly improved.
  • Options
    i haven't seen any great improvement in the footy but the results do not lie. keep it up jose!
  • Options
    Surely deserves a banner........
  • Options
    It also shouldn't be taken as a given that Powell would've done the same. We were in dire straits after Sheffield Utd.

Riga's achievements are huge, it shouldn't be lessened by the belief that Powell would've easily equaled his games so far. Though we have had a fair share of luck with a few games it must be said.
  • Options
    if we stay up, this summer is going to be very very interesting
  • Options

if we stay up, this summer is going to be very very interesting

It is! Just imagine tonight's squad plus a few others on long term deals and replace 8-10 players + retain Poyet and Hamer... Could have a decent squad in August?

Riga has made his own luck with selections, subs and tactics - the players have done the rest.