Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Riga impressed by late Petrucci and Pigott cameos at Derby

Comments

• Options
    I agree on both points. Petrucci, in his short cameo role, looked real class and I cant wait to see him over 90 minutes. Pigott looked physically much stronger than before he left us, more than holding his own against the Derby central defenders. I would like to see him play up top in place of Sordell, the latter not having the physical strength to worry defenders.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

I agree on both points. Petrucci, in his short cameo role, looked real class and I cant wait to see him over 90 minutes. Pigott looked physically much stronger than before he left us, more than holding his own against the Derby central defenders. I would like to see him play up top in place of Sordell, the latter not having the physical strength to worry defenders.

I agree - I couldn't believe how much better Pigott looked - like a "real" player rather than a young lad if that makes sense ?
  • Options
    It's very true what he says about them creating their own chances. Take note Messrs Church and Sordell.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

PeterGage said:

I agree - I couldn't believe how much better Pigott looked - like a "real" player rather than a young lad if that makes sense ?
    It makes perfect sense. The same thing happened with Scott Parker when he came back from Norwich. He looked like a youth team player beforehand and a professional after. You can't beat games for fitness/know how and both Petrucci and Piggott need games and lots of them. The same probably goes for Reza, although he is no doubt suffering from a hard shift at Forest followed by a tough game at Derby.

PS: With all these games, I do wonder when JR has had any time to get his ideas across. I don't think he's had a clear week between games yet has he?

• Options
    Simonsen said:

With all these games, I do wonder when JR has had any time to get his ideas across. I don't think he's had a clear week between games yet has he?

I think this is the biggest issue for Riga... Because we're playing every Saturday / Tuesday at the moment most of the training sessions are probably about winding down after each of the matches to ensure there isnt any fatigue at this stage of the season.
    se9addick said:

I wonder if the change in styles has helped... When Pigott played against Millwall all our Defenders saw was a big lad up front so hoofed it up to him (which as we know is a disaster because Joe wants it to feet) - Now we're playing a passing game under Riga it'll probably suit Pigott more and he'll benefit from that (i.e. against Oxford and Leicester I was really impressed with his ability to hold on to the ball and pass it on once support arrived)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    se9addick said:

PeterGage said:

Good to hear, would be great to see him make more of an impact on the first team in the remaining games.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Scoham said:

se9addick said:

PeterGage said:

Good to hear, would be great to see him make more of an impact on the first team in the reminding games.
    Indeed. Maybe he could prove that Piotr Parzyszek isn't needed and we could get back some of our £800,000(?).
  • Options
    feed the pig and he will score
  • Options
    All of the young lads breaking through into the first team have been very successful at U21 level playing passing football which appears to be the academy ethos. No surprise that when we get it down and play rather than aim hopeful long balls up to the strikers they feel more comfortable which the fans can see. Puts some of the other seasoned pros to shame!

It would be great if Piggot could get a few games under his belt along with a couple of goals before the end of the season. About time we produced a half decent striker from the academy.

The successful introduction of the 4-5 youth team players this season to the first team squad is probably the main positive for me.
  • Options
    I like Riga.

Does Petrucci look like he can do a job at right midfield?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I like Riga.

Yes...but he looks better in the middle or cutting in from the left.
  • Options
    I think Riga has acquitted himself very well in how he has the team playing (for the most part) and how he has handled our celebrations after victories and his press conferences, and i also think these two players could play a key role in the end of our season. Would be nice to have a striker from our academy, who was the last decent one? Had so many of them hyped up - Tuna, james walker....... on that note will azeez or sho-silva ever make the step up? One of them or both?
  • Options
    I'm glad there is a few positive comments with regards Petrucci, I was worried he was rubbish as the Sun gave him a 2 in yesterday's paper!!
  • Options
    Petrucci, should of played from the start with there being no Astrid, but in Jose i trust. Not really seen anything of Piggott as i was too scared to go to the Millwall game :-)
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

I'm glad there is a few positive comments with regards Petrucci, I was worried he was rubbish as the Sun gave him a 2 in yesterday's paper!!

I don't think they even watch the games at the Sun, their ratings have always been bollocks.
  • Options

Petrucci, should of played from the start with there being no Astrid, but in Jose i trust. Not really seen anything of Piggott as i was too scared to go to the Millwall game :-)

So was Piggot ;-)

• Options
    Addick90 said:

Would be nice to have a striker from our academy, who was the last decent one? Had so many of them hyped up - Tuna, james walker....... on that note will azeez or sho-silva ever make the step up? One of them or both?

Possibly Gordon Watson? (although Kevin Lisbie was ok...)
  • Options
    If the manager is that impressed, he should give them both a start on Tuesday .. the side is definitely in need of some new blood
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Addick90 said:

Would be nice to have a striker from our academy, who was the last decent one? Had so many of them hyped up - Tuna, james walker....... on that note will azeez or sho-silva ever make the step up? One of them or both?

We don't produce many strikers (apart from Mr Defoe), you have to go back to Paul Walsh for the last really good one, plenty of excellent defenders and midfielders though!
  • Options

Simonsen said:

Addick90 said:

We don't produce many strikers (apart from Mr Defoe), you have to go back to Paul Walsh for the last really good one, plenty of excellent defenders and midfielders though!
    Leaburn was a good striker wish we had him now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Where was AA?
  • Options

So was I, good job it was on Sky :-0
    PL54 said:

Where was AA?

Flu apparently.

• Options
    American Airlines?
  • Options
    I'm here, not to worry guys...
  • Options
    Leuth said:

American Airlines?

More likely BMI out of East Midlands :-0
  • Options
    I was impressed with Pigott on Saturday and surprised how big he was. Makes a good 'to feet' target man and held the ball up well. Didn't look the quickest though. It'll be interesting to see how he fits in.
  • Options

I like Riga.

I've only seen him play for 10 mins but I think Petrucci is more a central player too, I'm not sure him and AA could play together.
  • Options

Simonsen said:

Addick90 said:

Leaburn was a good striker wish we had him now.
    Good front man, sure. Most would agree "striker" might be pushing it a bit.
  • Options
    BMI. Don't say that to AA.
    Body mass index.
  • Options

I like Riga.

What is this fear of crosses at Charlton are all the players vampires?