Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fan killed on opening weekend of Swedish season

A supporter of Swedish top-flight club Djurgarden has died from head injuries sustained in an assault before his team's fixture at Helsingborgs.

The incident, on the opening weekend of the Swedish league season, happened about 30 minutes before kick-off.

When news of the man's death spread, Djurgarden fans invaded the pitch.

Referee Martin Hansson took the players back to the dressing rooms in the 42nd minute and the match, which was level at 1-1, was abandoned at half-time.

"Everything is at an acute stage. A person has died during the match and we are in the midst of a criminal investigation," police spokesperson Ewa-Gun Westford told Swedish news website Aftonbladet.

A statement on the Djurgarden website said: "Djurgarden family is mourning. We cannot describe in words what we are feeling right now.

"Our deepest sympathy and our thoughts are with the deceased's family and loved ones."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26812686

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/chaos-in-sweden-as-helsingborg-v-djurgaarden-abandoned-riots-after-a-djurgaarden-was-killed-before-kick-off/

Comments

• What the..? I thought the swedish scene was pretty calm, a bit nervous about taking in a Malmö FF game next week now.

Can't really imagine the swedes going in for football violence. Isolated incident?

RIP to the poor guy and thoughts are with the family, no one expects a loved one never to return from watching a simple game of football.
  • Malmo was fine when I went, if you sit behind the goal then head to one side. Toilets are strangely mixed as Swedish men pee sitting down, the wrong 'uns.

There is a good ultra scene over there but violence is rare. I'm not sure what happened here, they're both big-ish clubs but not huge rivals as far as I know.
  • I'm surprised the news of his death came out as soon as it did.
  • Does seem strange as you wouldn't consider Sweden to be a hotbed of football violence. I wonder if they'll consider banning away fans for a while until everything calms down. I certainly wouldn't fancy being a Helsingborg fan travelling to away games in the next few weeks.
  • This was put up an hour ago: http://www.ultras-tifo.net/photo-news/2374-djurgarden-fan-killed-in-helsingborg.html

Before today's match between Helsingborgs IF and Djurgårdens IF a fan of Djurgårdens IF was hit in the head by a bottle. 40 minutes later he was confirmed dead in the hospital.

He walked to the match together with his brother when 3 fans of Helsingborg suddenly attacked them with bottles. While on the ground they continued to beat and kick him.

Fans of Djurgården shouted "murderers!" towards Helsingborg's fans and some fans of Djurgården stormed the pitch to stop the game. After match big riots in city.

According to Djurgården fans and sport director, the 43-year old victim, father to 4 kids, were neither a hooligan or involved in any trouble before the attack.

That's damn tragic.
  • Seriously, wtf is wrong with some people.

Lets hope they catch the scumbags.
  • Terrible news.

I was at an AIK vs Djurgardens game a few years back and it was like being back to the 80s...lots of scarves around wrists, flares, running street 'skirmishes' between groups of fans (with the AIK fans we were with warning to look out for Djurgardens fans with knives, as they like striping the opposition) and a heavy police presence throughout...on the plus side, it made for a cracking atmosphere within the ground, even if the game itself was a bit rubbish...
  • AIK v Djurgardens is a big Stockholm derby, they're huge rivals so you could understand trouble there, not yesterday though.
  • Talking of AIK, i see Kenny Pavey has just re-signed for them (Bexleyheath boy). He's a legend out there.