Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

League of Nations

Nations League: World Cup & Euro qualifying spots on offer

A "League of Nations" that will see countries qualify for the World Cup and European Championship is expected to be given the go-ahead by Uefa on Thursday.

Games would be played in odd-numbered years on dates reserved for friendlies, starting after the 2018 World Cup.

European football's governing body's executive committee has already backed the competition, which would replace major tournament qualifying play-offs.

England are expected to be in a 14-team top tier of four divisions.

An exact format has yet to be confirmed but Spain, Germany, Italy and Netherlands are also likely to be in the top division, which would feature semi-finals and a final at neutral venues.

In the lower divisions, there would be a final to decide promotion, as well as qualifying places for the World Cup and European Championship.

The league will not replace major tournament qualifiers, but would decide the qualification spots - usually four - currently won via play-offs.

While matches will be played on dates reserved for friendlies, there will still be flexibility for smaller countries to arrange high-profile fixtures with bigger European teams and for nations to play friendlies against national sides from outside Europe.

The Football Association is in favour of the plan, with chairman Greg Dyke saying earlier this month: "The hard thing is the detail but I think a Nations League where we played the top nations would be very attractive."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26747394

Comments

• Options
    Don't really see how this is going to work. Surely the point of a league is that every team plays every other team. Are we really going to have 13 Internationals in any given year on top of the existing qualifiers?
  • Options
    Think it could backfire. Especially with the development of younger players, who are usually blooded in meaningless friendly games to settle into the squad. If every game matters, managers will be forced to take less risks in the line-up and choose the same 11 each time.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    This change will only be driven by one thing - money. No way that this many England games will be shown on terrestrial TV, plus plenty of sponsorship opportunities and merchandise. Without any further details beyond the concept at the moment, can't say I'm for or against it. I guess it could make the qualifiers more exciting and give countries who are less likely to qualify something to shoot for.

I just hope that they go with a different name that isn't either League of Nations or Nations League, there's a bit of stigma associated with those. If this is going to be European only, maybe just European League. Although both European and Nations aren't technically accurate as several countries playing in UEFA are either not nations, not European, or neither. The name thing isn't really important though, it'll probably be known as the Carlsberg Euro League or something.
  • Options

Think it could backfire. Especially with the development of younger players, who are usually blooded in meaningless friendly games to settle into the squad. If every game matters, managers will be forced to take less risks in the line-up and choose the same 11 each time.

Either that or it just wont be taken seriously and many teams will put out their "B" sides if they still exist
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

This change will only be driven by one thing - money. No way that this many England games will be shown on terrestrial TV, plus plenty of sponsorship opportunities and merchandise. Without any further details beyond the concept at the moment, can't say I'm for or against it. I guess it could make the qualifiers more exciting and give countries who are less likely to qualify something to shoot for.

I just hope that they go with a different name that isn't either League of Nations or Nations League, there's a bit of stigma associated with those. If this is going to be European only, maybe just European League. Although both European and Nations aren't technically accurate as several countries playing in UEFA are either not nations, not European, or neither. The name thing isn't really important though, it'll probably be known as the Carlsberg Euro League or something.

Are you debating with yourself ?!!
  • Options

But at least it will stop some people bleating about "meaningless friendlies".
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Exactly.

At least twice a year I hear people bleat on about how international teams like San Marino, Andorra etc should go into 'mini-leagues' to determine their fate, yet when the idea actually comes up people just want to say its only driven by money.

Every game will count for something in this new system. Its the pointless call ups of young players who hardly do anything to get into the team in the first place which is hurting the credibility of international football.
  • Options
    redcarter said:

If the yanks don't get involved it could be weak and ineffectual and cause problems further ahead.

I Just hope they don't have to deal with Japan and China playing each other....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The draw for this is tomorrow believe it or not.

England can get one of:

Germany
    Portugal
    Belgium
    Spain

Plus one of:

Poland
    Iceland
    Croatia
    Holland

Play home and away between Sept and Nov 2018, with two friendlies as well, as we are in a 'small' group of three.

And the Euro 2020 qualifiers, rather than starting in Sept 18, will start in March 19 and be condensed into a calendar year.

I've always been confused by it and thought it another silly idea, but as it effectively replaces some friendlies, it can only be a good thing I guess.

I'm hoping we get Portugal (autumn Sun) or Belgium (cheap, easy and not played them away since 1970) and Iceland (always wanted to go there)

Bet it will be a Germany and Holland bore fest!!
  • Options
    Portugal and Croatia will do !

I dont really understand it either but cant we get 'relegated' as well ?
  • Options
    Yes and whilst the direct consequences of not doing well are minor, the indirect affect is that the ranking for future qualifying groups will I think be based (or at least part-based) on it.

And for those who don't do well in the qualifiers, this is a fall-back route to qualification.

The semi and final are in June 19 by the way.
  • Options

and hopefully stop players (at the behest of their club) pulling out of friendlies when fans have paid good money for tickets long in advance.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Indeed - the following btroduction of some competitive games instead of friendlies can only be a good thing imo.
  • Options
    Should be good. Looking forward to the draw.
  • Options
    looks like another money making opportunity to me
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    belgium/portugal and then croatia/poland - iceland would be class but would be ridiculously expensive.

will likely head out to one of the away games.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Belgium & Poland.

Hoping to avoid Germany not for footballing reasons tbh. We’ve played them so many time in recent years. Already watched England play in Berlin & Dortmund. Even if we played in Munich, I doubt I would bother.
  • Options
    This is effectively like the Davis Cup isn't it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSS said:

This is effectively like the Davis Cup isn't it?

Pretty much... Yet just limited to Europe at the moment.

I say that as didn't the UEFA President say about having the rest of the World involved at some stage?
  • Options
    League D has been completed...

think this'll be the most telling Division out of them all to confirm if it works or not: Gibraltar v Liechtenstein will be a lot easier for them to grow rather than facing Germany or England etc.

Group 1: Andorra, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Georgia.
    Group 2: San Marino, Moldova, Luxembourg, Belarus.
    Group 3: Kosovo, Malta, Faroe Islands, Azerbaijan
    Group 4: Gibraltar, Liechtenstein, Macedonia.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Scotland will be with Israel and Albania in a three team Group
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    League C is done and dusted...

Group 1: Israel, Albania, Scotland.
    Group 2: Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hungary.
    Group 3: Cyprus, Bulgaria, Norway, Slovenia.
    Group 4: Lithuania, Montenegro, Serbia, Romania.

Wales | Ireland | Northern Ireland will be up next with all three able to be drawn with each other
  • Options
    Northern Ireland have Bosnia and Austria
    Wales have Republic of Ireland and Denmark
  • Options
    it also gives the teams in the lower groups a play off place for EURO 2020
  • Options
    serbia vs montenegro will be interesting
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Russia drawn with Ukraine. It wasn’t allowed and Russia have been put into a different group.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    League B completed now

Group 1: Czech Republic, Ukraine, Slovakia.
    Group 2: Turkey, Sweden, Russia.
    Group 3: Northern Ireland, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Austria.
    Group 4: Denmark, Republic of Ireland, Wales.

Means the Welsh end up with the Irish who stopped them from Qualifying who then got stopped from Qualifying for the World Cup themselves by Denmark!! So very interesting Group.

Russia were originally drawn with Ukraine yet the two aren't allowed to face each other

Time to see who'll be beating England!!
  • Options

serbia vs montenegro will be interesting

Didn't spot that one... Be very interesting!!