Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How old is football?

I've just been made to look a right dipstick by my nine year old daughter!

She is learning about the Tudors at school and keeps singing this irritating song about what games the tudor children played and in it it says football!

So I piped up, well you can tell your teacher she's wrong because football wasn't invented then I told her, only for her to google it and show me evidence of first reports dating back to the 1300's!

Doh!

Comments

• mob football - it sounds a great game. Get the ball from one town to the other by any means possible. No rules!
  • edited March 2014
    I got a lecture from my 8yo for speeding on the A2 at the weekend. They're never bloody wrong, I can tell you! :)

• The English, Italians and, I think Chinese all claim to have invented football centuries ago.

FIFA say 19th century England was when and where the modern game began.
  • mob football - it sounds a great game. Get the ball from one town to the other by any means possible. No rules!

We used play Tudor Football every now and then at primary school. Was just basically playing football but there was no such thing as a foul.

Bit like a saturday night, trying to get back from the bar to your seat without spilling your pint then..................
  • I guess it depends what you mean by football ? People kicking a round circular thing about in a competitive manner has probably been going on since round circular things were invented.

What you and I would know as "football" with something approaching the modern laws of the game originated in 19th century England a long time after the Tudors (although I'm sure Eltham boy Henry VIII would have been a top striker!).
  • In 13/14 century Winchelsea it was played with a Frenchmans head.
  • In 13/14 century Winchelsea it was played with a Frenchmans head.

I'm warming to the idea already!
  • I don't know how old football is, but watching some of the dross we've served up this season is making me old before my time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just don't mention the type of football played at Eton...
  • Its nearly as old as Sky Sports.
  • Ahh but that's like saying a couple of peasants kicking a cabbage around in the field was actually football.

Oldest formal club is well known to be Sheffield FC, and oldest ground Hallam FC's Sandygate. I used to be a season ticket holder there. £6 a season in the Northern Counties East League Premier Division.
  • Very old.
  • Millwall are said to be the oldest club. Formally known simply as the Lions, they used to play regulary at their old stadium in rome called the colossuem. However, the owner at the time, Julius Caeser realised they wern't popular with the home crowd (no-one liked them), so shipped them off to Lundinium marshes and tried to forget about them. Despite this, they were soon to be his downfall. After a few beers in the senate bar, he was recognised and set upon by a group of knife carrying Roma fans.

Know your facts fellas......................

We used play Tudor Football every now and then at primary school. Was just basically playing football but there was no such thing as a foul.
    Similar to the style of Football played by Sheffield Wednesday then basically?
  • The Cambridge_rules drawn up in 1848 and posted around Parker's_Piece (the birthplace of modern football) are considered to be the first set of rules that contributed to the rules agreed by the football association that first meet on 26 October 1863, although they were not finalised until December of that year.

This leads to the claim that Cambridge University AFC is in fact the oldest football club in the world rather than Sheffield FC however this isn't recognised by the FA.
  • Football is probably as old as time .. not quite so far back .. a BBC documentary on the Medici and Florence recently noted that artists made use of professional footballers as models .. so there you go, Batistuta was not the first male model pro ballkicker to play for Florence
  • Mesoamerican ballgame