Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MPs discussing decriminalisation of license fee non payment

There was a pretty good discussion on here about the closure of BBC 3 - and a pretty good debate about the future of the license fee. Well, I can't find it.

This is interesting though: http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26727068

MPs suggesting decriminalisation of non payment of the license fee. Not what I expected, and a bit peculiar with regards to the timing.

Comments

• Options
    Courts are jammed with prosecutions for this nonsense, while more serious crimes have to wait for court time.

There is a simple solution for the licence fee - add it to the council tax / business rates bill.
    If you don't watch TV - tough luck, just like I pay for the library but never use it.
  • Options
    Good, overpaid idiots and thats just MOTD.
    Rest of the world doesn't have it.
  • Options

I don't understand why Gary Linneker is one of the highest paid people in show business. A man who has literally zero effect on the amount of people that watch the show.

Can you imagine someone tuning into MOTD and saying "Oh Gary isn't on tonight, I think I'll catch up on Strictly Come Dancing instead"

Come on...

I hope they do this scramble your BBC service thing if you don't pay.

I do not get good value as a licence fee payer.
  • Options
    The 'licence fee' is a relic of the past (rather like the BBC) It's time it was scrapped.
  • Options
    Seems like a very backhanded way to cut the BBC's budget. Where's the incentive to pay if you'd get away with not doing it?
  • Options
    The BBC website is worth the license fee alone
  • Options
    Never paid it in 13 years of owning my house there so stupid the fella comes round and just say I've only just moved in mate and I gotta transfer my other one and just give a different name until the next time someone comes round
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

I don't understand why Gary Linneker is one of the highest paid people in show business. A man who has literally zero effect on the amount of people that watch the show.

Can you imagine someone tuning into MOTD and saying "Oh Gary isn't on tonight, I think I'll catch up on Strictly Come Dancing instead"

Come on...

I hope they do this scramble your BBC service thing if you don't pay.

I do not get good value as a licence fee payer.
    MOTD is so much better with him presenting it though.
  • Options

I'm one of probably hundreds of thousands of Brits abroad who would happily pay the licence fee or even more for unlimited access to domestic BBC.

You don't know what you've got til its gone

That's how I felt in Ireland. The licence fee is the best value you'll ever get for entertainment and news.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I'm one of probably hundreds of thousands of Brits abroad who would happily pay the licence fee or even more for unlimited access to domestic BBC.

You don't know what you've got til its gone

All you have to do is look at ITV + Channel 4 to know how valuable the license fee is. BBC is so much better in every department.
  • Options

Not true
  • Options
    The licence fee is worth every single penny, if only to avoid those nasty brainwashing advertisements.
    However we get the internet presence, TV, and wireless for our money of about three pounds per week.
    The debate is to try to privatise the BBC eventually and put it in the same bracket as SKY and such like. I doubt that commercial television would do much to annoy their advertisers even if they were totally out of order about something, the BBC has a degree of independence, but commercial TV is driven in another way.
    It is also handy for other broadcasters to take the expertise of BBC people because their training is nowhere near as good as at the BBC.
    I know it goes against some notion of basic freedom, but I would keep the licence.
  • Options

I had to pay it in Ireland - from 2013 it was levied whether or not there is a tv in the house.

Other countries do have a tv licence - see the list on this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licence

• Options
    I Don't have a Television which is my choice, I would be happy to pay for Listening to the Radio but a Licence is not required.