Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Disbanding a club

Following on from the Hull City/Tigers thread, the owner has threatened to walk away if the name change cannot go ahead.

Is there anything to prevent a clubs owner from just saying ok I am folding the club. Goodbye Hull City football team?

Or does the league have procedures in place whereby that cannot happen?

Comments

• edited March 2014
    MrOneLung said:

Is there anything to prevent a clubs owner from just saying ok I am folding the club.

Money invested to date will ensure this does not happen.
  • The ££££££££ he would be missing out on if he closed it down rather than sold it.

But any owner can wind up a company he or she owns.

The League could transfer the membership of the football league to another company owned by other parties (which is what happens when clubs come out of Administration).
  • Considering that most clubs are, essentially, insolvent without some benefactor giving them money, if that benefactor decides that they are not going to give any more, and nobody else is prepared to step in, then it would illegal (trading whilst insolvent) to continue to trade and I doubt that there is anything that the FA could do about it.

There again, if the benefactor did not pay off any existing external debts that they had wracked up, before they closed the club, then they might be caught under the same rules.
  • cafcfan said:

It's what I'd think I'd do if I won the Euro millions lottery - buy Millwall, demolish the stadium and liquidate the club. It'd be my contribution to humanity.

This would only result in Millwall new co. becoming the best team in the world.
    If you strike them down they will come back more powerful than you can possibly imagine.
  • Didn't the owner of Barry Town FC try this? He tried to withdraw them from the league last year.
  • cafcfan said:

It's what I'd think I'd do if I won the Euro millions lottery - buy Millwall, demolish the stadium and liquidate the club. It'd be my contribution to humanity.

Then spend the rest of your life looking over your shoulder. Although you'd be able to employ pretty good bodyguards with all those millions.
  • DRF said:

cafcfan said:

This would only result in Millwall new co. becoming the best team in the world.
    If you strike them down they will come back more powerful than you can possibly imagine.
    Either that or they'd all become Charlton fans, which would be worse.
    'No one likes our tartan blankets. We don't care.'
  • Is that you Roland?? At least give it until the end of the season ;-)
  • cafcfan said:

Then spend the rest of your life looking over your shoulder. Although you'd be able to employ pretty good bodyguards with all those millions.
    Nah, you could hear the Neanderthals knuckles dragging on the floor as they aproach you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yeah, this is basically what happened at Barry Town. There were, and are, no rules to prevent the owner doing this. The Barry supporters eventually went to court to ensure the club could continue under their stewardship. But it was a horrible situation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-23638992
  • edited March 2014
    cafcfan said:

You'd only probably need 2 numbers and a lucky star.
  • cafcfan said:

Just make Dowie the manager, buy him a crash helmet and leave him to it for ten years!
  • edited March 2014
    I often think we should adopt the US "Football" system of having franchises so these owners can't play with our clubs like puppets...

Owning a club in the US is basically the owner paying the NFL money for the rights etc of the club. But ultimately it's the NFL who own the club...
  • The baffling thing, to me, is that Hull always used to call themselves the Tigers as far as I can remember. So what exactly is their problem?

But I do think owners shouldn't have carte blanche to do such as has happened at Cardiff etc.
  • I often think we should adopt the US "Football" system of having franchises so these owners can't play with our clubs like puppets...

Owning a club in the US is basically the owner paying the NFL money for the rights etc of the club. But ultimately it's the NFL who own the club...

Some NFL teams are playing home fixtures in England.

Some NFL teams have been moved to different cities.

How is this better than England?
  • I often think we should adopt the US "Football" system of having franchises so these owners can't play with our clubs like puppets...

Some NFL teams are playing home fixtures in England.

Some NFL teams have been moved to different cities.

How is this better than England?
    I'm talking about how the teams are owned. Not where they play fixtures..

• iainment said:

The baffling thing, to me, is that Hull always used to call themselves the Tigers as far as I can remember. So what exactly is their problem?

But I do think owners shouldn't have carte blanche to do such as has happened at Cardiff etc.

Hmm. So you'd be ok if we changed our name to Charlton Addicks ?