Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

John Motson

Must admit I do not always watch Match of the Day,but have not heard or seen John Motson recently,has anyone else noticed his absence?

Comments

• Thought this was going to be an RIP thread . Phew
  • Sorry to make your heart miss a beat.
  • Thought this was going to be an RIP thread . Phew

Likewise...
  • Hopefully he has retired. Irritating voice and stupid little laugh.
  • A great commentator.
  • I wonder if he wants to sell his sheepskin?
  • Legend but can't listen to him now days. If the beeb replaced his commentary with my guinness farts people listening would get the same insight.
  • Retired after Euro 2008. Used to follow Charlton until he discovered Barnet.
  • Stig said:

Retired after Euro 2008. Used to follow Charlton until he discovered Barnet.

He's definitely been on the beeb since then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Does radio 5 live
  • Took his job very seriously and studied the teams he was due to commentate on. Some of the idiots they have now could learn a thing or two from Motty.
  • Stig said:

Retired after Euro 2008. Used to follow Charlton until he discovered Barnet.

He's definitely been on the beeb since then.
    He's retired doing the Live stuff... Just concentrates on Match of the Day these days
  • Is a real top fella met him a few times as he was the president of the barnet press sunday league

He was either chairman or president of roving reporters football club

Who soon after nicolas anelka joined arsenal his brother and agent claude joined roving reporters aparently under the aid of motty

So the spurs fans in our team used to enjoy playing against him especially when nicolas was watching

Motty is a real football man and fan

He was at cheltenham last week as per the norm

• I always thought that he spent time in the Charlton area when his father was a vicar at a church near maryon park .
  • I listened to very good interview by Motson with David Pleat on TalkSport last night,the programme lasts 1 hour and can be heard on the links below.
    https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1547409600/
    https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1547409600/1547411400/
  • Motty was at the premier of the centenary dvd at Greenwich picturehouse. Had my photo taken with him and can indeed confirm he is a lovely fella.
  • He's actually come into his own since he joined Talksport. The analysis stuff he does pre and post football weekends is really good.
  • He loves a beer.
  • John Motson has been reprimanded by talkSPORT chiefs after describing Millwall striker Tom Elliott as 'big, black and brave' on air at the weekend.

The legendary commentator has been dragged into a race row after the controversial comments were made during the station's coverage of Millwall's 1-0 win over AFC Wimbledon in the FA Cup fifth round on Saturday.

Speaking pre-match when describing Elliott's physical presence, the 73-year-old described the striker as 'big, black and brave' - an expression that has obvious racial connotations.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-6718215/John-Motson-embroiled-race-rumpus-calling-Millwall-striker-Tom-Elliott-big-black-brave.html
  • Sponsored links:

• Looking forward to posters coming in here to say that he hasn't done anything wrong and what he said is factually correct.
  • MrOneLung said:
    I think this is just a case of an unfortunate term of phrase rather the Motty being a racist.

If he had referred to someone as a big ginger warrior no one would have blinked an eyelid.
    Hopefully the media don't make it a full blown 'race rumpus' as the Mail describe it.

Both sides will come out, the perpetually offended and the 'PC gone mad' brigade... but ultimately I don't think anyone thinks that Motty is a racist based upon this episode - just needs to be reminded that the world has moved on and using someone's skin colour to describe them (when it isn't entirely necessary) isn't really allowed any more, not should it be.
  • addick05 said:

Is the player big? Yes. Is he black? Yes. Is he brave? Undoubtedly.  An unfortunate turn of phrase? Possibly. Was 'Motty' being racist? NO!

For Christ's sake, some people need to stop reading The Guardian and get a life.

Isn't the story quoted from the left wing PC gone mad Daily Mail?
  • I wonder what Tom Elliott thinks?

If it offended him then fair enough but otherwise just accept it as it was meant: a commentator painting a verbal picture of a football match for listeners on a radio station.
  • edited February 2019

I listened to the commentary and my main conclusion was that Motty is a terrible radio commentator who wasn't actually commentating as such (ie providing a guide as to who was attacking/defending etc.), but would suddenly go 'OH!' as one team or the other (was never quite clear which straight away) had an effort on goal. 

Obviously he seems to forget that on TV the viewer has a good sense as to what is happening which is not afforded to them on the radio.  That is not to say that some of his general summaries of how the game was going weren't additive but then again that's what the so-called summariser is for!