Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Formula One 2014

Anyone else up for the first qualifying of the season? Watched a bit of the practice session earlier on, the new cars were squirming around all over the place and looked a real handful, like they ought to be.

Comments

• Looks like I'm talking to myself here, but that was a cracking qualifying session. Suspect the rain levelled the playing field a bit and Mercedes will be the class of the field in the dry, but looks like the rest of the field is much closer together than maybe was expected and Red Bull are still pretty quick. Great stuff from Riciardo, reckon he might have had pole if he'd gone with wets instead of inters, and what a reaction from the Aussie crowd - they really don't like Vettel very much!
  • I watched the end of it. Really excited - off to Albert Park tomorrow to watch it, first time going to F1. Love melbourne for sport, you can't beat it - well the football could be better, maybe with Man City buying Melbourne Heart that might improve them in the coming years...
  • The rain and new regulations will certainly shake things up!

Mercedes seem to be the team to beat ATM.

• Vettel didn't come first!
  • BGSAddick said:

Vettel didn't come first!

Fix

• BGSAddick said:

Vettel didn't come first!

He's been left red-faced as at the end of last season he said "I could win towing a caravan" (Least thats what Google Translator churned out)

Well today proved...
  • Rain definitely leveled things out. I have the Mercedes at least a second up in race pace if its dry. Whilst Red Bull are not QUITE as strong they need to take advantage of this. Hamilton looks strong and was nice to see an Englishman pip an aussie at something after this winter! Only issue for me is the appalling sound of the cars. Been going to GPs for years and the incredible noise when you see them in the flesh still excites me. To all intense and purpose I understand that you can conduct a conversation during a session which should not be able to happen.
  • I hate the sound of these new engines and they are so quiet that you can even hear the squeel of the tires! Bring back proper engines!!
  • Magnussen looks a talent.

Shame for Vettel, but hopefully it'll lead to a more exciting season this year.
  • It's looking good for an exciting season at last. Even if Mercedes dominate, at least it'll be a Brit up front to support. Vettel hasn't had to deal with much adversity in his career, since he came in he's had the most reliable cars many if us have ever seen. If he can defy the changes and win the championship, he will earn the respect man people won't give him despite all his success thus far. But I can't see that happening, which is great!
  • Sponsored links:

• Mmm onions
  • The curse of the english sportsman is alive and kicking as we enter World Cup year!
  • AT least it looks like Mclaren have a car that is head and shoulders faster than the rest - when it works ! Worrying that Red Bull seem to have caught up a bit.
  • edited March 2014
    Well Red Bull and Ferrari look more competetive than expected. McLaren up there and Mercededes ahead of the field. Bad luck for Hamilton, seems to have had mor ethan his fair share of late but also seems to be dealing with it well - which is good and things can turn around . Rosberg is going to be a threat but I think Hamilton is my favourite for the title this year.
  • Ricciardo disqualified-this is shaping up to be an interesting season...

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-16/ricciardo-disqualified-rosberg-wins-australian-grand-prix/5324408

They did a speed comparisson before the grand prix and had david coultard in the 2011 red bull-definitely prefer that sound-although i guess it'll save people some money on ear plugs
  • Lewis was utterly flawless today. If his car stays reliable and he isn't dogged by his usual bad luck then he will be champion imo. He was holding back so much today. Whilst RB is making gains I think Merc is further ahead than many realise. Could and should have been 2 wins from 2 with more luck in OZ
  • I have a feeling this might be the most boring season ever. Normally there's some reasonable racing early in the season before the procession by the top driver/team. This year it's started already.

I hope I am wrong.
  • I do fear you might be right Bangkok. It'll be interesting to see how much the other teams can do to catch up but it feels very much like a case of when rather than if Hamilton will be world champion this year. Disappointing lack of midfield action too which has managed to liven races up a bit in recent seasons.
  • He's only winning because he's in the fastest car....which could literally be said every single season for the best driver.
  • edited March 2014
    I watched the hi-lights last night, when the BBC show the "battle for 9th" and the "battle for 11th" instead of the front of the race you know what the result will be before its finished.

Moto GP has F1 in its pocket
  • Sponsored links:

• i really noticed the difference watching it yesterday and i didnt like it.

just didnt seem as fast or as noisy.
  • I hope that the other teams will be able to do some tweaks and get a bit closer to the Mercs otherwise it is going to be boring.

And, apparently the teams have been told to try and make their cars louder.
  • I watched the hi-lights last night, when the BBC show the "battle for 9th" and the "battle for 11th" instead of the front of the race you know what the result will be before its finished.

Moto GP has F1 in its pocket

Why?
    What is Moto GP ? Is it on Playstation?
  • Started watching it but got restless so slapped a coat of paint on the living room wall and sat and watched it dry for 3 hours!
  • It's like a boring version of chess.

"How can I save more fuel?"
  • McLaren going backwards already
  • The top three drivers are Hamilton, Vettel and Alonso. Whoever has the better car should win the Championship. Looking good for Lewis.
  • I watch it to cheer Max Chilton on. Finished every race last year and is doing the same again this season for Marussia. A legend in the making.
  • I doubt it
  • What. A. Race. Don't care if two cars are so far ahead, if they race like that!! Great from both drivers and the fact he kept Nico back when he had the slower tyres shows just how special he is. Brilliant from Lewis Hamilton. A British sportsman on top of his game.